GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, so I've pretty much changed the wheels on all the cars I've owned, right from my 1990 Fiesta 1.0, when I passed my test back in 1999.

But, the GT86 is such a hard car to choose wheels for. I literally find myself looking at thread after thread after thread.

Got multiple searches on eBay saved for genuine jap rims - Rays / Volk / Advan / Enkei / Work etc

Can't decide on going 17 or 18.

Pros:

17s - more comfort with the 45 profile tyre
18s - generally look like they suit the car better (subjective!)

Cons:
17s - depending on the design, can look a bit lost in the arches
18s - Heavier than 17s

I'm not wanting to lower the car (been there done that with most of my previous cars), but after some nicer wheels for it. 18s seem to highlight the factory arch gap more than 17s?

I like the Enkei RPF1, but they are an old design (not a bad thing), and A LOT of people are running these. Not a fan of the multifit PCD wheels either - XXR/JR etc. XXR527 look great, but the 10 holes kill it for me.

Ideally would be after 17x8 ET35-ET42 with 225/45/17 tyres.

Anyone else literally feel like giving up on the search on wheels and just sticking PS4s on the stock rims and having done with it? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just choose a set you like the look of and don't over think it.
It's much better just to buy a set you like right now in a sensible size and if you don't like them in 2 months time, just sell them on and try a different design.

Based on what you've said you should just get a set of RPF1's and not worry if other people are running them. There are a couple of cheaper copies available if the Enkei price is too high.

Enkei:

Japan Racing - Copy:

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and fair comments, and most likely what I should do! I do like the Enkei RPF1, I must admit. And keep going back to them. Tegiwa stock them in F1 silver and Gold (17x8 ET35 - perfect), but not black, which is interesting.

I'm a bit of a wheel whore and only really like the genuine stuff 😁

On a side note, did I read somewhere that Enkei makes the stock GT86 wheels? :unsure:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am running 18’s on mine…

After I fitted them, I drove it for a day before I went down the coilover route. The arch gap was hideous, each to their own - but for me, if your not going the low route, stick with the 17’s

Reactions: Craig82

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks, and fair comments, and most likely what I should do! I do like the Enkei RPF1, I must admit. And keep going back to them. Tegiwa stock them in F1 silver and Gold (17x8 ET35 - perfect), but not black, which is interesting.

I'm a bit of a wheel whore and only really like the genuine stuff 😁

On a side note, did I read somewhere that Enkei makes the stock GT86 wheels? :unsure:
I think you may find that Tarmac Sportz are a little bit cheaper, they possibly only do silver in that size though.

I've been on and off 'window shopping ' for 17 inch RPF1s for months now 😂 but alot easier to justify £650 for some Rota Grids, so that's probably what I'll end up with. Tbh I actually think some bronze Rotas will look slightly nicer than silver RPF1s , but I like the idea of some genuine lightweight Jap wheels.....just less keen on the reality of paying for them.

Multifits just make me think of badly modified Corsas / Fiestas 🤮

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running 18’s on mine…

After I fitted them, I drove it for a day before I went down the coilover route. The arch gap was hideous, each to their own - but for me, if your not going the low route, stick with the 17’s
Fair comment, thanks. I was leaning towards 17s over 18s to be honest.

I think you may find that Tarmac Sportz are a little bit cheaper, they possibly only do silver in that size though.

I've been on and off 'window shopping ' for 17 inch RPF1s for months now 😂 but alot easier to justify £650 for some Rota Grids, so that's probably what I'll end up with. Tbh I actually think some bronze Rotas will look slightly nicer than silver RPF1s , but I like the idea of some genuine lightweight Jap wheels.....just less keen on the reality of paying for them.

Multifits just make me think of badly modified Corsas / Fiestas 🤮
haha, yep, guilty of multifits in the past. Circa 2007-2008, I put Rispeed wheels on my 1.6 Corsa Sport :ROFLMAO:

I generally prefer the authentic jap wheels, but don't actually mind the Rota wheels - though they're obviously direct copies - Grid/TE37 etc. Surprised copyright hasn't stepped in!

Reckon at a guess, you're looking between £1600-£3000 for brand new jap wheels including tyres, depending on what you go for.

Off the back of that, Rotas seem awfully tempting - just not in multifit! 😁

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have Rota Titan 17x9 ET42 on mine. First aftermarket set I bought. Fitted with PS4 245x40x17s they only fit the front with coilovers due to the tyre width. No issues at the rear. I since purched some bronze 18" Works Kiwamis and although they looked great after fitting them I really didn't like the way it drove due to the extra weight. For the size the Rota's are a relatively light wheel so the 17x8's with just a 225 will be much lighter than a stock wheel and tyre

Pic for ref: Lowered 25mm

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks spot on. Titans are looking favorite at the moment - as above in flat black, they suit the 86 so well :cool:

Regarding the weight, yeah, I noticed they're like 2kg a wheel lighter. Guy in ft86 link weighed his before fitting. Not bad for a cast wheel!

Also, I've a penchant for black wheels, though I appreciate they're not everyone's cuppa! 😁

·
Premium Member
GT86, 2012, Satin White
122 Posts
That looks spot on. Titans are looking favorite at the moment - as above in flat black, they suit the 86 so well :cool:

Regarding the weight, yeah, I noticed they're like 2kg a wheel lighter. Guy in ft86 link weighed his before fitting. Not bad for a cast wheel!

Also, I've a penchant for black wheels, though I appreciate they're not everyone's cuppa! 😁
Oh, I wonder if I can find you that link, not sure where I remember seeing it but it was the forum equivalent of wheel fitment/information that you expect to find on Wikipedia!

Also in agreeance, those titans look super.

Edit: Found it, I actually correctly bookmarked something lol. Use Ctrl+F and zip around the page with your fitment. Has helped me narrow down my short list a lot.

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I wonder if I can find you that link, not sure where I remember seeing it but it was the forum equivalent of wheel fitment/information that you expect to find on Wikipedia!

Also in agreeance, those titans look super.

Edit: Found it, I actually correctly bookmarked something lol. Use Ctrl+F and zip around the page with your fitment. Has helped me narrow down my short list a lot.

Cheers - seen that link also. Don't think there is much that I haven't looked at, kind of become an obsession!! :ROFLMAO:

Just ordered a set of Rota Titans in flat black, 17x8 ET42 (y)

·
Premium Member
GT86, 2012, Satin White
122 Posts
Cheers - seen that link also. Don't think there is much that I haven't looked at, kind of become an obsession!! :ROFLMAO:

Just ordered a set of Rota Titans in flat black, 17x8 ET42 (y)
Haha, shopping for wheels is a slippery slope. Those Titans will look great though, what color is your 86/BRZ?

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, shopping for wheels is a slippery slope. Those Titans will look great though, what color is your 86/BRZ?
It really is!! 😁

she's a red one:

(y)

·
Registered
2013 GT86
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm probably in a minority here, but I actually really like the stock wheels on mine 😁
(They may get PS4's when the Primacys need replacing, but that's about it)
Fair dos mate. There’s nothing specifically wrong with the stock wheels. The later ones look better than the pre-facelift ones in my opinion.
But I just wanted them a) wider to allow running 225/45/17s and b) to change the actual wheel as I’m not keen on the design. Plus I prefer all black wheels :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fair dos mate. There’s nothing specifically wrong with the stock wheels. The later ones look better than the pre-facelift ones in my opinion.
But I just wanted them a) wider to allow running 225/45/17s and b) to change the actual wheel as I’m not keen on the design. Plus I prefer all black wheels :cool:
Black are definitely much easier to keep looking good (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
General rule of thumb I follow is to go for the smallest wheels that will go over your brakes.

Smaller wheels are cheaper and lighter, plus bigger tyre walls improve comfort.

On the factory 86 brakes you can run 16” wheels but if you ever go big brake kit you may need to go to 18’s.

Personally I always go with the big name Japanese brands ; Advan, Rays, Enkei, etc

Yes you can get cheap replicas like Rota, Japan Racing, Dare, Calibre etc And end of the day they look the same if you’re only after looks but aren’t the same quality/structure which is more important if you are taking you car on track. Genuine wheels hold their resale value better too.

Enkei RPF1’s are pretty much perfect for the 86 in either 17 or 18.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts