GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 (2012-2016) lapis blue GT86
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For weeks now, every time it's rained I've struggled to get my wiper setting at a speed that was correct - not to fast or too slow.

I've realised that the additional speed setting (beyond just pulling it down from slow to fast) is upside down and counter intuitive.Twisting it so it's at the narrowest setting is the fastest and turning it towards the biggest/ widest icon is the slowest. Which to me means bigger/ more/ faster...

Is that the same for everyone else?

On the below, top is slowest and bottom is fastest.

I suppose it matches the over all control but it feels like it's the opposite of my previous cars.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Think of it not in terms that it should be "wider - faster", "narrower - slower", but "wider - longer interval of time between wipes", "narrower - shorter interval of time" (so obviously quicker). As usually by month of using car all gets into muscle memory and gets switched w/o looked on, i see no issue at all, what is painted symbolically on stalk itself. Wipes too slow? Hand reaches by itself and turns needed direction w/o me thinking much.

·
Registered
2016 (2012-2016) lapis blue GT86
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is a good way of looking at it! I suppose I was more thinking is mine wrong/ upside down but if everyone else's is the same then I'm happy. It's obviously not rained enough since I got it in March for it to become ingrained!

·
Registered
150 Posts
As stated , think "Interval Time"

Toyota used to make it a bit more obvious (MR2 MK3 Wiper stalk).

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
As many don't look at stalks when operating them .. i guess main bit is for them to be controleable as to how it's most common in most cars out there. (in this case - clock wise or counter clock wise). If it's as more common, people just will do the same as on most of cars before, subconsciously, problems begin if something is opposite to what everybody are used to.
For example, it drove me nuts and made me swear many times, when on volvo of colleague, which i had to drive once during night on highway (so needed to operate it frequently to not blind oncoming traffic), directions of pull or push for far-lights stalk were reversed for single flash vs permanent on. I always, always, first did wrong as per habit :(, and only then corrected. (other bits i hated, were cruise control displaying set speed on speedo very similar to digital speedo on twins, but i cannot blame it for my habbits from not that common car, and also it having very unergonomicaly placed gearshift knob, and veeeery long gearing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts