GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, for me, it's just that I'm under the impression that the Scooby
will have a harder ride. I might well be wrong there, and I shall be following the reception of both models to compare them.

I've owned both marques in the past, and have no criticism of either, but I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to Toyota as my parents had a Celica in the 70's which I drove quite a bit and really enjoyed ; I was also very impressed by the durability and flexibility of my 87 Celica.

I've had an Impreza WRX Prodrive which was a great car, but a bit too 'sound and fury' for me now.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just having a read of AutoCar and noticed the same question posed; One of the staff writers commented;

Given that both cars will cost the same £25k, and both are clearly sensational to drive, which are you more tempted by?<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; line-height: 17px; "><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; line-height: 17px; ">Does the relative rarity and added focus of the Subaru tip the scales, or is the Toyota more appealing for its slightly easier going, easier-to-own credentials?<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; line-height: 17px; "><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; line-height: 17px; ">Were I seriously considering the prospect, I’d probably have the Toyota – but I also somehow feel guilty about that. I’d just expect better warranty care and better customer service from Toyota.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I currently own an Impreza WRX, its 8 years old now but the only problem I've had is a failed headlamp bulb. I have however ordered the GT 86 rather than the BRZ simply because all the local Subaru dealers have since closed down and the nearest one is quite a trek.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, I hadn't realised that the Subaru UK set-up is a bit of an endangered species right now until I read the Scoobynet site forum.
Some of the members there are saying that they would favour the BRZ but are concerned that the dealer network has shrunk and may disappear if the new models don't bring better fortunes. Also, the 3 year warranty as opposed to Toyota's 5 years is an issue.
The Subaru 'launch' process seems to be taking an extremely long time to get off the ground - the cars are due in the country in June, and they still haven't released a brochure, specs etc. ; bit of a shambles IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you count Lexus as Toyota I have also owned both, and dont have major problem with either of them.

As mentioned a similar thing has happened where I live, the local Subaru dealer is no more so its a 25 mile trip instead of less than 5 to get to one. I think my real reasons for prefering the Toyota is the AE86 roots of the car and I actually prefer the look of the headlights of the Toyota when they are switched on, albeit the concept STI brake lights win out for me too, but I guess when its released it wont be to hard to swap them if so desired. The front being slightly harder as the bumper lines are slightly different from car to car.

Reading that back that in itself isn't really a massive swaying decision, and for the right price I could still be tempted into a scooby. The 3 vs 5 year warranty is nice although, being a well built modern car I am not expecting anything other than things like tyres, brakes and possibly a clutch to wear out in that time and will not be covered by it. Its just if something is faulty which will get changed out quckly and most likley within both time periods........

Now I've mentioned that I wonder what modifcations will and will not affect the warranty, If toyota would still honour a warranty with TRD goodies fitted? I can say hand on heart in my complete 15 year driving history I have never owned a car that is not modifed in one way or another and this car with its specs given out to many aftermarket companies ahead of its launch is definatley not going to be an exception :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts