GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is the BRZ around £3000 more than the GT86?

Just wondered if anyone can tell me the main pointers, I know the suspension is different but not much else, and is it worth the extra money?

I can walk to my Toyota dealership but Subaru is 50 miles away, so it’s almost a no brainer.

Edit: Just noticed the typo, GT86 of course ��

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I ordered mine in 2016 the top spec BRZ (Auto) was cheaper than a top-spec GT86 and pretty much ended the same (but BRZ looked better in my view!!). Then in March 2017 an MY17 arrived ;) .. win, win!

·
Registered
955 Posts
The reasons are not quite as quoted above. The main reason is simple and this happened when the EU regulation of 95g/KM across its fleet applied to car manufacturers. Toyota with a slew of hybrids has its emissions targets exceeded and they don't need to pay a penalty. Subaru on the other hand has to cough up to EU as it has no cars below 95 threshold. Makes sense?

Otherwise made in the same factory by Subaru themselves for Toyota with minor changes. Toyota currently still has a base version and a pro version. Subaru only has the equivalent of a pro and by the way has apple car play / android auto enabled HU while I believe Toyota does not. Buy it from Subaru, you can negotiate. Get it serviced by Toyota, if you wish to keep it close to home.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks BRZ.

Buy it from Subaru, you can negotiate. Get it serviced by Toyota, if you wish to keep it close to home.
I did think of that, but then I thought, the Toyota mechanics are bound to want to thoroughly “test drive” it to compare it with the GT86, opps I mean test drive it to ensure that it is roadworthy.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Thanks BRZ.

I did think of that, but then I thought, the Toyota mechanics are bound to want to thoroughly “test drive” it to compare it with the GT86, opps I mean test drive it to ensure that it is roadworthy.
I expect the Toyota mechanics will be pretty uninterested given it's the same car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts