GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, having just got my 2014 trd last week, I notice that I’m gonna need new tyres soon, done a bit of research and a look through previous posts and I think I’ve narrowed it down to a choice of 2 -

Goodyear eagle F1
or Yokohama advan fleva

any thoughts welcome and greatly appreciated

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can offer no thoughts on the tyres (have only run Michelin CrossClimate so far, about to try Primacies.....) but not convinced it matters you've posted in the 'wrong' section, presumably our lords and masters will move the thread if they can be suitably arsed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on mine for a couple of years now and I've been really impressed with them. They offer alot of grip and gave me alot of confidence in the stability of the car, still can lose traction on the rear but that's now more through choice 🤣

·
Registered
763 Posts
Tyre subjects are always difficult as few people get to test lots of sets in a controlled environment. Some people don't like a brand of tyre but the view can be long out of date as tyre compounds get updated, or praise a tyre after coming from 30k worn out Michelin primacies to modern summer rubber with 9mm tread blocks that are supple and grippy.

I tend to think about what I want from new tyres, and also what I currently don't like about the ones I have. Try to find one that suits as many of the parameters I have as best as possible, but its always a compromise unless we have several sets of wheels..

Do you just want max grip for road above all else?
Playful? Loose-ish like Primacies?
Road tyre thats trackday possible? Something that can handle a few laps couple of times a year?
Quieter? Could be put with playful as more comfort (soft feel/low sound) tyres tend to be passenger saloon car 'efficiency' tyres and have a higher focus to comfort than grip.

Sticking with the well known brands is a safe bet and I doubt you could go wrong with any Conti Goodyear Michelin for example. As a general rule picking the comfort version of these brands will lean toward the Primacies style of tyre with less grip, but probably quieter than primacies. Picking the performance end will move toward the grippier but with less comfort over road imperfections and more noise.

You probably knew all of this anyway ;)

P.S have I just morphed into Church with all that? (joking Church)

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Can offer no thoughts on the tyres (have only run Michelin CrossClimate so far, about to try Primacies.....) but not convinced it matters you've posted in the 'wrong' section, presumably our lords and masters will move the thread if they can be suitably arsed.
Moved to right section 😉

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm happy with Avon ZV7s - a big improvement in predictability and wet grip over the Primacies. A bit too much grip for my taste, but I don't know of any with less grip than the Primacies, tbh!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your thoughts guys (and for moving to the right section)
reduced my pressures from 35 to 33, initial thoughts is that car seems more connected to the road, will take it a bit of a spin tomorrow to get a better feel for it
not too worried about noise, prefer grip
👍

forgive my ignorance, what are Primaces?

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Michelin Primacys/Primacies are the tyres that Toyota/Subaru chose for our cars.They are OEM, some love them,others don't!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm happy with Avon ZV7s - a big improvement in predictability and wet grip over the Primacies. A bit too much grip for my taste, but I don't know of any with less grip than the Primacies, tbh!
Have always liked Avons. (have only tried them on VAGs ). For summer use have a similar 'too much grip' problem with the Michelin CC+ I'm currently running. Great for winter commuting, but looking to stick some lightly used Primacies on a 2nd set of wheels for the coming months.

Will still have the CC+ as backup if needed 🤣

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got grippy Avon ZV7's on the front and Primacy's on the rear. You can imagine 😂

The primacys are due to be replaced soon, though still debating whether to put ZV7's on the rear too or another set of primacys.

·
Registered
482 Posts
At least you know what the front end will do next! That would be a great combination if the Primacys were predictable in the wet...
Yeah for sure! The Avon's are brilliant, much quieter too, and that's why I was considering getting them for the rear too... but the cheeky side of me likes them slippery primacy's 😂

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've said it before, As long as you stay close to the standard I recommend primacy 3 instead of HP. it has the predictability the HP does not have and avoids the excessive stickiness of primacy 4.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yoko Advans V105s for me. I went for these are they are well proven on this chassis and I think they are fitted on GT86s with 18s. Genuinely good all round. They are nice and progressive when on the limits but don't offer the same levels of grip as top end tyres, which is a good thing in some ways. They are alot more well behaved in the winter and the wet than the primacys which I found were horrendous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts