GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone in the know or with a handbook please quote what spec of oil is required? I'm not talking about the grade (0w20) but the actual spec, like ACEA etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Hi,

Can someone in the know or with a handbook please quote what spec of oil is required? I'm not talking about the grade (0w20) but the actual spec, like ACEA etc.

Thanks
This is what's in the owners handbook

Alec

·
Registered
119 Posts
Would seem that it''ll be worth asking the dealer for a top-up litre or two of the pukka Toyota oil when I pick my car up in early September.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keelerad said:

Alec
Great, many thanks. I think i'll check up some datasheets of some API SM 0w20 oils and compare to the various 5w30's we can get over here and probably go with the closest match. It is possibly you'll see a slight difference in fuel economy by changing to the thicker oil and over 10k miles or whatever it'll probably be cheaper to go with the recommended 0w20. We'll see!

Does it have the service schedule in there too? I've seen 3.75k, 7.5k and 10k oil changes recommended.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
gt_sjo said:
keelerad said:

Alec
Great, many thanks. I think i'll check up some datasheets of some API SM 0w20 oils and compare to the various 5w30's we can get over here and probably go with the closest match. It is possibly you'll see a slight difference in fuel economy by changing to the thicker oil and over 10k miles or whatever it'll probably be cheaper to go with the recommended 0w20. We'll see!

Does it have the service schedule in there too? I've seen 3.75k, 7.5k and 10k oil changes recommended.
Well to answer your question I went and scanned the service booklet, see below:

Who can spot the itsy bitsy issue with the service book ?

Alec

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I'm sure the sticker on my rear window says 5 rather than 3 year warranty!

Did everyone else get a warranty book that only says 3 years.

Alec

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Anyone else who has got their car checked their service book ?

AlecEdited by: keelerad

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, its a standard 3 year warranty but, if we're good boys and girls and getour cars serviced at a Toyota dealer for the first 3 years we get an extra 2 years mechanical warranty!

I'm new to Toyota, are the dealers any good or don't they give a stuff, like most large franchises?

I was planning to take my GT to Prosport where I have my Scooby serviced because they actually care about how they service your car!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that really the T&C's of the 5 year warranty?! If so I might cancel my order.

G

·
gt_sjo said:
keelerad said:

Alec

I assume for the worse?
I'd expect thicker oil to provide more resistance so uses more energy to achieve the same result.

Just guessing though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I assumed (perhaps cynically) that the use of 0W20 oil was just an attempt by Toyota to reduce their 'Corporate Average Fuel Economy' and that any good quality engine oil would suffice. I have always used Shell Helix 5W30 in my Impreza to no obvious detriment, if anyone has any more objective comments to make on the subject I would be pleased to hear them.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contrary to popular belief, oil choice is mainly down to emissions and economy to manufacturers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.