GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Picked the car up 6.00pm last night - still to have the front sensors fitted. Well chuffed with the auto box - in Manual mode you can use the flappy paddles or the gear lever acts as a sequential manual box..)

Standard wheels/tyres at present. I'll trash these tyres, then use the rims for winter tyres. I will probably fit the MaesterR Coilover suspension. What is the recommended 'skinny spare', can someone remind me.. SpecK

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Subaru (impreza or forester) steel 16" 5x100 pcd with aygo lock nut, see this thread here for details and pics

Alec
Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got an impreza wrx space saver as a spare as suggested and it fits fine (both on the car and in the boot). However today the car is been fitted with the JBL sound package and they have just informed me that the sub will not fit inside the spare as designed as it is a 16 inch spare and the sub is built for a 17 inch.

Any ideas.

The dealer says they cannot find an actual spare on the system if I wanted the buy correct one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pieman99 said:
Got an impreza wrx space saver as a spare as suggested and it fits fine (both on the car and in the boot). However today the car is been fitted with the JBL sound package and they have just informed me that the sub will not fit inside the spare as designed as it is a 16 inch spare and the sub is built for a 17 inch.

Any ideas.

The dealer says they cannot find an actual spare on the system if I wanted the buy correct one.

If 17" is what you need then this onewill be the one you need... (you'll notice from the close up shot that it is the T135/70D17 102M version of the Spacesaver)

Colin

PS. Unfortunately, that person won't ship. Collection only
I've already tried...

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Pieman99 said:

Any ideas.

I'm sure if you put the spacesaver in the for sale section someone will buy it from you. As mentioned there is a larger 17" version of the Scoobie space saver they did to fit over the upgraded brakes. What I don't know (I only saw 16's) is if it is still 100mm PCD, as later Imprezas (2006 on?) had a larger stud spacing (114 mm). If you find a 17" make sure the stud spacing is right

Alec

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm sure if you put the spacesaver in the for sale section someone will buy it from you. As mentioned there is a larger 17" version of the Scoobie space saver they did to fit over the upgraded brakes. What I don't know (I only saw 16's) is if it is still 100mm PCD, as later Imprezas (2006 on?) had a larger stud spacing (114 mm). If you find a 17" make sure the stud spacing is right

Alec[/QUOTE]That's a very useful (extra) piece of information Alec, thanks for that...

Trying to source a new Subaru Spacesaver this morning from the local dealer in Falkirk but I'm coming up against the usual barriers of them being reluctant to supply one that's not for an actual Subaru and them asking for a reg number and VIN etc etc...

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right!"?
"Just sell me the darn wheel dammit!"

Colin

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It's a real shame that Subaru parts departments require a VIN. Using a VIN for easy location of parts is one thing, but restricting buying based on it just doesn't make sense. Some other manufacturers can search for parts by VIN, reg, or just the model & year. This is the reason i've not updated the service items checklist in the engine forum because Subaru won't give me any prices!

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's actually worse than that and is spreading like the plague to every other manufacturer... It's not just the VIN. This is the stock answer I got from the Scooby parts guy, "It's because the part hasn't been safety tested for your vehicle and hasn't been homologated either and the company doesn't want law suits when something goes wrong..."

Now here's the really bad news! I rang Toyota GB Customer Relations about the overall subject of obtaining a proper Toyota Spacesaver wheel/tyre for the GT86 actually from Toyota, citing all sorts of issues like the gunk ruining tyres, BBC Watchdog report,etc.etc.and guess what answer I got? EXACTLY the same (just about verbatim) as I got from the Scooby parts guy above (in italics)!!

This whole situation over carrying spare wheels or spacesavers is absolutely ridiculous and very annoying! Since when does the manufacturer'smarketingrequirements takeprecedenceover customer need??

Colin

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The question is will the JBL fit the 17" space saver or will it only fit a full size 17" spare wheel? From the installation images I've seen, it might be that the sub will only fit inside a full size and not a space saver which is the main issue here and if that's the case I don't be best pleased as this means we'll have to get a different carpet cover or cut a hole out as the wheel willprotrudeout higher than the carpet

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I asked the question on the one on ebay as to what was the PCD. I got no reply as she did not know what it means so bought it anyway (£9.17). Picked it up on my way home from London yesterday but the PCD is too big. Never mind, you have to try.

I will keep searching.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a bit confused by - "16inch/17inch" to fit a 'speaker' in.

I want a sodding spare wheel, not Glastonbury.

I'll go to my (Toyota) dealer, tell him to sort it - some of the advice in this thread is confusing.

SpecK

·
Registered
59 Posts
Special K said:

I'll go to my (Toyota) dealer, tell him to sort it - some of the advice in this thread is confusing.

SpecK

Sorry.
I got a subaru 16" that fits fine. But I need a 17" to fit the speaker. I know its a bit fussy but I want it to be right. If I find a 17" that fits then I will sell on my 16" if anyone wants it.

Just trying to keep people informed that if they intend to get the JBL then they need a 17".

·
Registered
787 Posts
Special K said:

SpecK
I'm afraid you will probably get the same kind of help from your dealer as I did. There is not one listed, homologated or safety tested that they will recommend or even supply for the GT86. (period)
(I was told by Toyota GB that it was a Toyota worldwide decision not to supply one but that she would pass my comments/objections on... I'm not going to hold my breath to be honest...)

Colin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.