GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
8181 - 8200 of 8223 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Done a few things this week:

-Firstly, I've removed my Remus backbox. There's nothing wrong with it - it's not overly loud at all, but I've always been a bit anxious about noise, and I was still feeling a bit self conscious about it sometimes. And the reason I bought it was to reduce the raspiness of the system by deepening the tone. However, I've since found out that it was the high flow cat causing the majority of that, and since going back to the OEM front pipe, I've been happier with the sound of the car. So, fancying a bit of a quieter life, I've decided to revert to a full OEM exhaust system with just the Ace header. I've actually found that I probably drive it harder like this, as I'm less self conscious about making noise and annoying others. It's also quieter on the motorway - it didn't drone, but it is louder. And also, I am considering selling the car within the next year which I'd like to do while it's stock, so may as well do it now.

I've only been using the Remus for about 18 months old, and it's in good condition and quite rare, so I may put it up for sale soon. If anyone's interested in the meantime, give me a shout.

- Second, I replaced by drop links. OEM ones were starting to creak again a couple of months ago, so I decided I was going to replace them with some stronger aftermarket ones. Fortunately someone was selling a used set of Perrin links, which are much more substantial that stock, and also do away with a ball joint design, and instead just use bolts and bushes. As soon as I'd bought them, my OEM ones stopped making noise (typically) so the Perrin ones sat in my garage over Christmas. But, last night I was turning into a parking space and heard them creak again. So, this morning, while it's warm, I took the old ones off and replaced with the Perrin. Hopefully the fact they uses bushes rather than ball joints mean I won't have to worry about them failing again, and it also means they'll be easier to remove if required. So far so good - no noise, and I feel like the front end of the car feels a bit more solid feeling. I wasn't expecting any sort of change to handling, but I suppose it could be a placebo. Still, nice to know I have drop links which aren't made of cheese now.

- Finally, I fitted a new OEM gearknob kindly supplied by @_Mac_. Old one was worn, but when cleaning it, I managed to take some of the leather finish off exposing what felt like rubber underneath. Still perfectly serviceable if anyone wants it - hell, probably wouldn't bother anyone else, but I'm a bit of a tart about keeping my car in top condition if I can.

Now, all I need is a dry morning tomorrow and I might actually properly drive the bloody thing rather than tinkering with it :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad to be able to help out someone who shares my level of attention to detail!

If you do fully revert to standard, I call 1st refusal on that manifold of yours when the time comes 😉

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put new Avon ZV7's on all four corners a couple of days ago. The old Primacies still had a couple of my left but were starting to squirm unpredictably even on straights under moderate acceleration which I didn't like. Not used Avon before but they seem to have decent reviews.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put new Avon ZV7's on all four corners a couple of days ago. The old Primacies still had a couple of my left but were starting to squirm unpredictably even on straights under moderate acceleration which I didn't like. Not used Avon before but they seem to have decent reviews.
I've got those on the rears (put on by the dealer I think) I'm not sure how they compare to the primacies - which I have on the fronts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I finally got the updated version of my Data Display installed yesterday!
This update was a big one, as it added SD card support. This means I can create my own data logs!! I can also still view the data in car, on the 3 small OLED displays I'd installed previously.

As well as using this data to drive development of the car, which is awesome enough! I can take any video footage of the car on track and use the data to power graphical overlays!

Here is a quick graph from the short test drive I went on.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

I currently capture: Ambient Air Temp, Battery Voltage, Coolant Temp, Intake Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure** and RPM.
I need to apply a quick software update to add; Fuel Level and Timing Advance back in. I only removed these while testing.
I'd also like to add in; Ethanol Content, Throttle Position and Vehicle Speed but I've not checked how these values look yet.

* Indeed systems like mine already exist but as they all seem to be based on closed source software, customisation is limited to what they want you to do. So no... adding additional data sources, changing the graphics, having the graphics as a separate video layer (divorced form the video) allowing switching between camera angles.
I also don't want a phone or tablet style device blocking my view, or threatening to fly off when I'm on track. This is why I've built the system in one of the central air vents. Very OEM+ 👍

**Oil Pressure is provided by an external sensor (Honeywell PX3AN2BS150PAAAX). Using a thread adaptor, this is installed in to the oil gallery that sits between to the A/C compressor and throttle body.

*** The system uses an adaptor from Freematics - Vehicle telemetry and spatial data logging made easy to capture data from the OBD-II port. This data is then send over to the board that I did all the development on (an Arduino Mega). This board is what all the displays, switches, SD Card adaptor etc... are connected too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I finally got the updated version of my Data Display installed yesterday!
This update was a big one, as it added SD card support. This means I can create my own data logs!! I can also still view the data in car, on the 3 small OLED displays I'd installed previously.

As well as using this data to drive development of the car, which is awesome enough! I can take any video footage of the car on track and use the data to power graphical overlays!

Here is a quick graph from the short test drive I went on.
View attachment 7338

I currently capture: Ambient Air Temp, Battery Voltage, Coolant Temp, Intake Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure** and RPM.
I need to apply a quick software update to add; Fuel Level and Timing Advance back in. I only removed these while testing.
I'd also like to add in; Ethanol Content, Throttle Position and Vehicle Speed but I've not checked how these values look yet.

* Indeed systems like mine already exist but as they all seem to be based on closed source software, customisation is limited to what they want you to do. So no... adding additional data sources, changing the graphics, having the graphics as a separate video layer (divorced form the video) allowing switching between camera angles.
I also don't want a phone or tablet style device blocking my view, or threatening to fly off when I'm on track. This is why I've built the system in one of the central air vents. Very OEM+ 👍

**Oil Pressure is provided by an external sensor (Honeywell PX3AN2BS150PAAAX). Using a thread adaptor, this is installed in to the oil gallery that sits between to the A/C compressor and throttle body.

*** The system uses an adaptor from Freematics - Vehicle telemetry and spatial data logging made easy to capture data from the OBD-II port. This data is then send over to the board that I did all the development on (an Arduino Mega). This board is what all the displays, switches, SD Card adaptor etc... are connected too.

Wow, I really like this I was just thinking of doing something w/ RaPi, Arduino ESP32. Really cool you've found an open source project.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wow, I really like this I was just thinking of doing something w/ RaPi, Arduino ESP32. Really cool you've found an open source project.
I'd highly recommend grabbing one of their adapters and if you need any code, please let me know 🙂

I've seen a few standalone OBDII and CANBUS boards but they a very much up to you to sort out. Doing so was just an extra layer I didn't want to deal with initially and the Freematics gear allowed me to focus on the fun stuff lol.
The documentation is OK but digging through the examples revealed some great tips and tricks 👍 I've had it installed for around 2 and a half years and it's been rock solid!

As for a Pi... I am fast approaching what the wee 16Mhz CPU of my Arduino Mega can deal with and while I could get a faster Arduino. I think the next step will be to grab a Raspberry Pi and have it do all the heavy lifting, posting the final values out to the Mega.

This would also make connecting the system to the internet much easier!
I'd love to pull in to the pits after a session on track and have the data already processed and ready to view, or have any friends watch the data stream in real time!
The absolute dream would be to have the data overlaid on a live video stream but baby steps for now lol.

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
52 Posts
I'd love to pull in to the pits after a session on track and have the data already processed and ready to view, or have any friends watch the data stream in real time!
The absolute dream would be to have the data overlaid on a live video stream but baby steps for now lol.
That would be awesome. Years ago I had the same ambition and also with a background in software dev thought "how hard can it be?!". I ended up just buying a VBOX instead 😂

But an open source data logger like that with plenty of options would be a really cool thing to achieve. None of it is necessarily that complicated it's just putting it all together in a reliable way and the time involved to do that and test it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That would be awesome. Years ago I had the same ambition and also with a background in software dev thought "how hard can it be?!". I ended up just buying a VBOX instead 😂

But an open source data logger like that with plenty of options would be a really cool thing to achieve. None of it is necessarily that complicated it's just putting it all together in a reliable way and the time involved to do that and test it.
VBOXs are super cool but the cost is understandably high, they are a professional grade motor sport product after all 🤣 Fair play to you for getting one 👍
As for build your own. The testing is indeed an absolute chore! Both from a hardware and software perspective but... I enjoy the challenge lol.

I'll try take some pictures of it installed in the next few days.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This evening I swapped the O/S front rollbar link (OEM) and bush (SuperPro). Sadly I ran out of time and light, so the N/S Front will have to wait till tomorrow.

I managed to get the nut off the top of the link by hand, which was a shock! As for the bottom nut, I give up very quickly and grabbed the grinder.

As much as I was tempted by aftermarket links, to avoid having to break the grinder out in the future. The OEM links were only £20 each and managed to last 70k miles.

If I ever get around to lowering the car, I'll cross that bridge then.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've spent the last few weeks thinking there was something wrong with my clutch. Couldn't make smooth changes, I kept finding the car would jerk as my foot came off the clutch pedal, as if I was releasing it too slowly. Also, I haven't been able to pull away smoothly without over-revving a tad.

Found out yesterday that my seat had been moved forward, just one notch. Pushed it all the way back, car feels fine again. Twat :/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Finally followed the masses and had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s fitted. (Although I imagine now I’ve caught up, everyone will rave about how awesome the PS5’s are!)

Early impressions are good, driven hard in damp conditions this afternoon and it’s 100% better than the scrubbed out Avon’s that came off. I hadn’t realised how much that they had given up until driving with some fresh tread!
Also got the tyre shop to swap over the TPMS sensors from my old wheels to clear the light from the dash. It’s been on for so long, it now feels odd it being clear!

looking forward to the next dry spell so I can see what the fuss is all about with these PS4’s!

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
52 Posts
Finally got around to fitting a dashcam in mine yesterday. I decided to get the one that integrates with my head unit for the benefits that brings (size of the camera unit, ease of managing the device, etc.) over other ones that might offer higher resolution video. The results seem perfectly acceptable so far on 2304x1296 setting. It should be useful if I ever use the car on track again or when I plan to do some touring.

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Mirror

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Gadget Television Television set Output device Computer monitor accessory

Kenwood DMX8020DABS + DRV-N520 (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Today, I finished fitting an Android 10 based head unit. Spent ages searching for the best Apple CarPlay unit and took a chance on one from iDoing.

Ordered from AliExpress and arrived within 4 days… £300…

Seen a lot of good reviews for these online but remained skeptical. I’ve previously fitted a Pioneer carplay unit to my old MX5 and it makes a huge quality of life improvement as well as really lifting an ageing interior.

200mm Toyota stereos are awkward to find. Didn’t fancy the idea of adding a blank fascia around one, wanted a more OEM vibe.
By the time I’d imported a top end Kenwood or Pioneer unit from Malaysia or Oz, we’re talking a £1000…
Plus there is still something distinctly 90’s about some of their models, which is fine, just wanted something clean.

Coming from a Golf GTE, I really missed a big vibrant screen, so took a punt.

So far, mega impressed.
Being built around an 8 core Android 10 tablet, it’s way more responsive than the VW system I’d gotten used to. Touch screen is perfect, incredibly sharp and vibrant.

Pretty easy install wiring-wise. I did have to do a little filing to get the stock fascia clips to fit on the replacement panel’s pegs but not too bad.

There are a countless settings and possibilities with it basically being a tablet but that’s fine by me, basic setup was easy and plenty to explore. Also ordered a Bluetooth OBDII reader, cool being able to monitor all the cars vital sensors right on the display.

Biggest surprise though, was the sound quality. Significantly better than stock, a few minutes playing with the EQ, and I got a lot more punch and depth than I ever expected. Standard speakers begin to show their limits at higher volumes, so I’ll look for some upgrades soon, suggestions welcome!

Very happy, such a bargain for under £300 including shipping!

Satellite radio Automotive design Audio equipment Vehicle audio Center console

Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device Gadget

8181 - 8200 of 8223 Posts