8121 - 8140 of 8168 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Drove it home in thick ice, with clenched arse cheeks :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
472 Posts
With right (studded) tires imho it's more of fun then scare :)
I was more concerned with the blithering idiots around me than the actual weather.
I'm capable of driving sensibly, I know for a fact the majority of people can't.

Reactions: Gray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I was more concerned with the blithering idiots around me than the actual weather.
reason why i never considered motorcycles anymore even though liked a lot feel of driving on them & now can afford them. wishing to have at least some metal between me and other idiots on road :). One can mostly be responsible for only own actions, there is very little one can do with how others drive on road and what .. "surprises" one can get from them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
reason why i never considered motorcycles anymore even though liked a lot feel of driving on them & now can afford them. wishing to have at least some metal between me and other idiots on road :). One can mostly be responsible for only own actions, there is very little one can do with how others drive on road and what .. "surprises" one can get from them.
I did probably 120,000 miles on motorcycles from the late eighties to the early 2000s and I'm confident that the vast majority of the time the greatest risk to my safety was myself.

(By contrast I've only done around 20000 miles since then, but untill 2003 a motorcycle was my main form of transport)

The roads were very different 30 years ago though, much less congested, no mobile phones, no speed cameras, very few SUVs !!!!

The nineties was a golden age of motorcycling IMHO, there were some great advances in engine and notably chassis tech (especially tyres) and UK road conditions were still pretty decent anytime anyplace on the whole. These days you really have to pick the right roads at the right time. Still I can't complain too much as plenty of decent motorcycling still to be had in North Yorkshire where I live (much better out of tourist season though).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pumped up the tyres ... yes, the cold weather caused the low tyre pressure light to come on yesterday. All 4 were just above 2 bar when I checked this morning ..

Still that's nearly 3 years since it came on the first time!!!

There was me hoping those Michelin Primacies had had their day .. but still lots of tread at just over 38500!! :-(

Note to self: turn the traction control off more!!! :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stuck my large (probably half a metre across) solar battery charger on the dash and connected the other end to the battery.

MOT ran out end of last month and I won't bother taking it for its next one till March.

Untill then I'll just be driving the Aygo I've recently bought. 🙂

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Oh. Bit of a waste really. That is the best driving season.
Absolutely.

TSC and VSC are often off for me. When the roads aren't inundated its surprising how many places you can exit a corner with half a turn of opposite lock at legal speeds. That's just enough to get away without drawing any unnecessary attention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought it Friday, absolutely in love with the car.

Just ordered a custom alcantara/leather steering wheel from Royal Wheels and having the guage surround done in alcantara with red stitch to match :LOL:

Along with some Focal speakers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bought it Friday, absolutely in love with the car....
Welcome to the forum bankz5152.

Oh. Bit of a waste really. That is the best driving season.
Hopefully will have the car for many forthcoming winters yet. To help with that, plan is to get the car professionally 'rustproofed' before the next one.

Also I generally like to try sort MOT issues myself (on the drive outside my house) so I'm sick of owning cars with November to Feb MOT due dates !!!

Driving the Aygo will I'm fairly confident remain a novelty through this winter (I actually think it's pretty good to drive - largely thanks to weighing about 400kg less than the 86).

Novelty will most likely have largely worn off by next winter, so plan will be to have both cars fully road legal for that one 👍

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Driving the Aygo will I'm fairly confident remain a novelty through this winter (I actually think it's pretty good to drive - largely thanks to weighing about 400kg less than the 86).
Oh, 400kg! That is interesting. Do the rears lock up when you brake hard? I always found that funny on the old Yaris, and how they somehow avoided the car spinning out.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Novelty will most likely have largely worn off by next winter, so plan will be to have both cars fully road legal for that one 👍
Coincidentally, I had an Aygo today (just 300 miles on the clock!) while my 2017 '86 was in for its 70k service & MOT.

At first I just noticed the Aygo's rubbery, long-throw gear lever, the steering wheel being a mile away when the seat was in the right place for the pedals, and the sheer gutlessness. But then there was the relative silence on the M-way, and the fun of wringing its neck in the cut and thrust of the afternoon commuter traffic. I was just starting to think, as I once did with a hire-Corsa (a better car imho), "this is all you need, really", when I got back into my 86 and thought, "the hell with 'need', this is worth every extra penny and more!"

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was given an Aygo as a courtesy car while my 86 was having it's value springs done. The drive from Bolton back down the M61 was one of the scariest experiences of my life. In heavy rain with my foot full to the floor I couldn't get out of the way of the HGVs loving the chase and moving in for the kill! I've seldom felt so fragile. Even in a budget rental Renault in Turkey!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The drive from Bolton back down the M61 was one of the scariest experiences of my life. In heavy rain with my foot full to the floor I couldn't get out of the way of the HGVs loving the chase and moving in for the kill! I've seldom felt so fragile.
You didn't, by chance, have the same experience as me did you? Cruising to the motorway in the Aygo, I tried to engage the cruise control, the stalk for which is pretty much like the GT86's. But it wouldn't engage. Once on the motorway, I tried to accelerate up to cruising speed but couldn't get beyond 50 mph; it felt as if power was fading as I approached it. I very nearly returned the car to the dealer, but then the penny dropped, "This isn't a cruise control, it's just a speed limiter!" I'd clearly engaged it but not cancelled it. I'd had one on my SLK but never used it - it seemed to offer nothing that the cruise control didn't have but prevented me from over-riding the control to overtake, say.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't believe the M61 is long enough for me to have reached anything approaching 70 mph in this particular Aygo speed limiter or not. When I mentioned this to the service manager as I returned it. He smiled, nodded and said "yes" in a knowing kind of way!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a courtesy car with a speed limiter, I'm lazy so I set it to 70 and just sat with my foot down. It sat at 70 perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday really but took the 86 to Drive Limits at North Weald airfield. Great day of driving at the limit (as well as beyond my limits) and lots of fun.

Mark is a brilliant coach

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do the rears lock up when you brake hard?
No idea, haven't needed to brake hard in the 300 miles I've done so far.....

I was just starting to think, as I once did with a hire-Corsa (a better car imho), "this is all you need, really", when I got back into my 86 and thought, "the hell with 'need', this is worth every extra penny and more!"
It's pretty much what I think. I like it and it's all you "need" (erm, really 🙂)

However, it does not of course feel remotely special, very much unlike the 86......

So when I get back in the 86 in Spring I get my mind blown all over again 😃 (I pulled this trick in April when I drove a shonky old Passat for a fortnight)

I don't believe the M61 is long enough for me to have reached anything approaching 70 mph.....
M61 36.05km long apparently........

Have had my Aygo upto well in excess of 70 in about 34 less kilometres than that. Still mines Orange, so that's probably worth another 30bhp.

8121 - 8140 of 8168 Posts