GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
8101 - 8120 of 8120 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
(Ever so mildly) CURSED IT !

It's taken me 2 years, but I've finally found something I don't like about it:

The remote boot release isn't illuminated.

Why not?

Pretty much everything else is. What was the saving, about 2 grammes in weight and 5 pence manufacturing cost by not fitting a tiny LED?

Ironically it actually took me 18 months to notice it HAD a remote boot release at all - probably would have noticed it a helluva lot sooner if it frigging lit up 🤣(and if it hadn't had one I wouldn't really have minded) But now that I've got used to it.......

....Well when I want to stick my bags in the boot in the dark after a long couple of days working away I don't want to have to fumble for the switch !

Bet an Audi TT's got an illuminated remote boot release 😠

Might have to head down my Audi dealer.....

"Hello is that LocalAudiDealer? I've got a GT86, I absolutely frigging love it, but just can't get on with the remote boot release after dark. Just wondered do you have anything that by comparison is utterly dull to drive, relatively common as muck and largely bought by badge snobs that lack imagination that also has an illuminated remote boot release?"

"YOU DO!!!"

"Awesome, I'm on my way down."

Reactions: Enut

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't think I can even see the boot release button while sitting in the drivers seat, so would have to find it by touch anyway :p

Had new tyres fitted yesterday. Halfords bought TyresOnTheDrive and were doing discounts on Goodyear tyres, so was able to get a mobile fitter to come to me. First class service... the guy phoned to give me a heads up when he was on his way, so I went out and jacked the car up to get the wheels off and save him some bother, then it only took him about 10 minutes to do each tyre. Friendly, polite and on time.

Price was good too. They were running a discount, got 4x Goodyear Eagle F1AS5s for £336.37. Cracking :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What are people's thoughts of tyre pressure? Exciting topic I know.

I went for a drive this morning, to bed in the new tyres and see how they performed. Given they were brand new and it was cold and a bit greasy out, I was taking it easy. But I was pretty impressed with them. I even tried to purposefully unsettle them a little on a roundabout and couldn't. Only time I got a bit of slip was when pulling out of a junction that was covered in fallen leaves.

Anyway, I got home and when washing the car later, decided to check the tyre pressure, as I hadn't done it yesterday after fitting. Was surprised to see that they were at 38psi. I was going to drop them to 35, which is what I kept the previous set on, but to be honest, I think I'll leave them as they are for now. I wasn't getting any understeer and I felt more confident than I did with the previous tyres (which were by no means crap, and not really worn out, they still had 3mm left). I wonder if it's because the new set have a lower load rating (87 vs 91).

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The point is .. some prefer to BE able to unsettle and loose grip/slide, and even more so, at lower loads/speeds, when it's easier/safer to handle and is more progressive, for their preferences. To each his own :)
As for tire pressures, apart from checking them from time to time and adjusting according major ambient temp changes, one just should put roughly optimal one for best contact patch and most grip tire can provide. Most often, if daily driving considered only, and tire sizing not that far off from stock sizes, safest to pump in what suggested by manufacturer of car.
For track, due high loads producing lot of heat obviously one needs to let out lot of excessive air to keep hot pressures (and thus contact patch/grip/wear optimal). Also changing tire pressures is easy onsite way for quick grip bias adjustment, requiring no tools and easily reversible, though in long term i'd prefer setting it more via suspension alignment.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The point is .. some prefer to BE able to unsettle and loose grip/slide, and even more so, at lower loads/speeds, when it's easier/safer to handle and is more progressive, for their preferences. To each his own :)
I'm no hero, I don't mind provoking the occasional slide, but on the whole I like the car to be nice and sure-footed. I should add, that although I did try to unsettle it, I didn't try very hard. Just gave the throttle a jab while on a roundabout to see if it would go easily.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think I can even see the boot release button while sitting in the drivers seat, so would have to find it by touch anyway :p

Had new tyres fitted yesterday. Halfords bought TyresOnTheDrive and were doing discounts on Goodyear tyres, so was able to get a mobile fitter to come to me. First class service... the guy phoned to give me a heads up when he was on his way, so I went out and jacked the car up to get the wheels off and save him some bother, then it only took him about 10 minutes to do each tyre. Friendly, polite and on time.

Price was good too. They were running a discount, got 4x Goodyear Eagle F1AS5s for £336.37. Cracking :)
I'm generally reaching in through the open door from the outside (in the dark) for the boot release at the moment 🙂

Needed tyres when I bought the car and did exactly the same, used a mobile fitter to my home (through blackcircles in my case) and handed him the wheels. It's a win - win he's happier and so am I - because I don't always trust others to jack a car properly......

As for tyre pressures, well 35psi is the Toyota recommended pressure I believe so personally I kinda have to agree with Church and Emmett - I'd feel inclined to try them at that if I'd found them set at 38.

Have always run my CrossClimates at 32 for little other reason than last owner of my car ran his Bridgestones at 32. I think he was looking for a little more ride comfort and I'm all for that too now I'm over fifty 😃.

If you do keep your new tyres at 38, be sure to keep a note of how they wear - if there is any sign of the tread wearing significantly faster down the middle than the outer edges then this would signify overinflation (and a reduced contact patch) so - if that were to happen - it would be a definite sign that 38 is too high.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you do keep your new tyres at 38, be sure to keep a note of how they wear - if there is any sign of the tread wearing significantly faster down the middle than the outer edges then this would signify overinflation (and a reduced contact patch) so - if that were to happen - it would be a definite sign that 38 is too high.
You think you will be able to notice that in difference of wear? I doubt it. I would just go for feel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You think you will be able to notice that in difference of wear?
Erm well for a 3psi increase, not really for many thousands of miles (if at all) but it wouldn't stop me checking for it (just as it is good practice to check tread depth across the tyres as they wear anyway.....) 🙂

Suppose as Conscript asked people thoughts on tyre pressures, that was one of my thoughts, as a general point that if you deviate significantly from the recommended pressure you may in time notice a difference in tread wear across the tyre, but suppose I could have phrased it better, as yes 3psi probably not that significant. Might have to run a tread gauge over my Cross Climates' again (10k miles now done, all at 32psi so 3psi under stock pressures....)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Why not?

Pretty much everything else is. What was the saving, about 2 grammes in weight and 5 pence manufacturing cost by not fitting a tiny LED?

Ironically it actually took me 18 months to notice it HAD a remote boot release at all - probably would have noticed it a helluva lot sooner if it frigging lit up 🤣(and if it hadn't had one I wouldn't really have minded) But now that I've got used to it.......

....Well when I want to stick my bags in the boot in the dark after a long couple of days working away I don't want to have to fumble for the switch !

"Hello is that LocalAudiDealer? I've got a GT86, I absolutely frigging love it, but just can't get on with the remote boot release after dark. Just wondered do you have anything that by comparison is utterly dull to drive, relatively common as muck and largely bought by badge snobs that lack imagination that also has an illuminated remote boot release?"

"YOU DO!!!"

Haha!

Isn't it simpler to use the car remote which has the boot release/unlock button? I use the in car one only when i need to drop my passenger and drive away and they have something in the boot to collect. When am out of the car, the contactless remote one anyways works without pressing any button or press the remote boot unlock button. Too much choice is a bad thing!

·
Registered
30 Posts

Why not?

"YOU DO!!!"

I don’t mean to brag (I mean I hadn’t even noticed until today)
But….

Car Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Fixture
You can totally see mine in the dark 😂

·
Registered
194 Posts
Haha!

Isn't it simpler to use the car remote which has the boot release/unlock button? I use the in car one only when i need to drop my passenger and drive away and they have something in the boot to collect. When am out of the car, the contactless remote one anyways works without pressing any button or press the remote boot unlock button. Too much choice is a bad thing!
Aha !

Had totally forgotten about the boot release button on the fob - will try that - Thanks !

Am inclined to agree with your "too much choice comment"

I don’t mean to brag (I mean I hadn’t even noticed until today)
But….

View attachment 7049 You can totally see mine in the dark 😂
Hmmm.....Hadn't even occurred to me mine's supposed to illuminate, but this seems to suggest it is.

Thanks for "shedding some light" on the issue 😃

I don't have an illuminated TPMS switch either, but that's 'cos my 62 plate car doesn't have TPMS......

What's the problen with pressing the rubbery thing on the boot lid anyway? I'd actually forgotten the in-car switch for the boot release; haven't used it in literally years.
The problem is I'm in a pitch black works car park and if I'm returning to my car (after two days away) my hands are full of "Disklok" (those normally bright yellow clumsy full wheel enclosure steering wheel locks) Unless you had a taste bypass and bought a chrome one.

So it's definitely easier to have the boot already unlocked to swiftly slip the awkward "Disklok" straight into its bag - that sits velcroed to the centre of the boot liner.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I changed the oil and filter yesterday, while also taking a sample of the oil to send off for analysis.
Additionally, I swapped the thermostat in the sandwich plate that feeds the oil cooler, from the 80°c version over to the 92°c version.

Oil: Millers Oils EE Performance 0w20 (8206)
Filter: Subaru 15208AA130
Analysis: Link

Q: Why use EE Performance?
Following on from the excellent info and discussion in the "Oil Analysis 0w20" thread, I decided it was the oil to go for.
I normally use Toyota's own Oil over the winter and while it is a high quality oil that I'm happy to run, it is sadly very expensive. Even more so with oil cooler adding extra capacity.
Plus, I use Millers' fluids in pretty much every car I work on and have always been very happy.

Q: Why use a Subaru filter?
The price of the filter and washer from ICP is excellent for OEM kit. Plus, seeing the Subaru logo on the filter makes me smile every time I open the bonnet 😁

Q: Did you have fun changing the oil with an oil cooler fitted?
No really.
It was made easier thanks to the wee 12v fluid transfer pump, which I picked up from Lidl a few years back. I just disconnected the lines from the sandwich plate and went from there.
While I didn't "need" to do this, I had the time so figured why not.

Q: Any predictions for the analysis?
The Oil cooler is over-cooling by a large margin. However, the oil is only 6 months old and has just 3,200 miles on it. So while it won't be in mint condition I'm hoping it will be in spec.

Q: What's the solution to the over cooling?
I wasn't expecting much from swapping the thermostat. It needs to remain open by X amount for a number of reasons but that amount is quite high, so it's always cooling more than I'd like. Based on the limited testing I managed to complete yesterday, the only difference I saw was inline with the change in ambient temperature i.e. No change to the delta.

I'd previously tried using a carbon fibre plate attached to the front grill, in an attempt to limit air flow but had no luck.
The next step is to remove the bumper and attach the plate directly to the oil cooler itself.

I really don't want to have to remove the bumper before and after each track day... and I'm really interested to see what numbers folk like Fensport see when fitting oil coolers to customers cars.
Short of some different AN fittings and brackets I opted to use, the kit I installed is available from Fensport.

Long term, I think I need to look for a small oil cooler or, try and fit some sort of vent that can be adjusted without removing the bumper.

It's always fun balancing between road and track.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got round to fitting the new vland rear lights today. Fairly simple job, however the gasket in the new right side light had been slightly deformed in transit and the initial leak test didn't go well! About 45mins and a bit of fettling later, I think I got the fitment to a point where I shouldn't have water ingress problems. Unfortunately my torque wrench didn't set low enough so there was a fair bit of test and adjust!
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Got round to fitting the new vland rear lights today. Fairly simple job, however the gasket in the new right side light had been slightly deformed in transit and the initial leak test didn't go well! About 45mins and a bit of fettling later, I think I got the fitment to a point where I shouldn't have water ingress problems. Unfortunately my torque wrench didn't set low enough so there was a fair bit of test and adjust!
I had exactly the same problem when I bought my Vlands, the drivers side gasket had been crushed in the box, and I could not get it to seal at all. I should perhaps have just left the lights out overnight to see if they returned to shape as it was just due to the way they'd been sat in the box. However in the end I lost my temper and just ordered new ones from gasketninja.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I bought my Vlands, the drivers side gasket had been crushed in the box, and I could not get it to seal at all. I should perhaps have just left the lights out overnight to see if they returned to shape as it was just due to the way they'd been sat in the box. However in the end I lost my temper and just ordered new ones from gasketninja.com
Ha, sounds like a very similar experience! I used some 3m foam strips to add a bit of reinforcement to the areas where the gasket was deformed, then I performed a series of leak tests, adjusting the bolts slightly each time until there was no more water leakage. I think I'll reassess next week and if I'm not happy I'll get some new gaskets myself!

8101 - 8120 of 8120 Posts