GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
8081 - 8100 of 8120 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Same as above, first cold winter spell and the battery gives up. Can't complain as it lasted 5 yrs. Original was the Panasonic 62Ah, 620A one. Replaced it with a Yuasa YBX3031, 72Ah, 630A. More cranking power but less weight. Weight of the new battery is 17Kg compared to 17.9Kg for the older one. Win, Win!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The Ferodo Racing DS1.11 front pads (FCP1639W) I ordered for track days arrived today :)

Up until now, I'd been using DS2500 pads (front/rear) on track but the fronts were looking a bit sorry for themselves and as I've gotten faster, I felt the need for an upgrade.
When I spotted the DS1.11 pads were included in eBay's 20% discount deal, I thought why not and I was lucky enough pick them up for just ~£147 (down from ~£185).
It's worth nothing eBay see to run this discount monthly now? All be it sometimes at 15% like this month.

Looking at the Ferodo Racing website, they seemed like a good upgrade from the DS2500 pads I'd used previously. The rear set of DS2500 pads I have are still in great shape and as the DS1.11 pads need some heat in them, I figured it was best to stick with the DS2500 pads in the rear as I'm not doing any endurance racing. This was mostly based on Ferodo's own data.

I couldn't find a huge amount of real world info on the DS1.11 but the little I did was positive and only a few days I managed to speak to someone who has used them first hand and were very impressed.
Combined with the new DBA 4650S discs up front, I'm really hoping for a decent upgrade in braking performance :)
This is about as far as I want to go with the standard calipers and disc size but to be honest, if this set up works. I can't imagine needing much more with an NA engine?

Data
Interestingly, in the time it took for the pads to arrive, Ferodo seem to have updated there charts to include their new compounds? I wonder if the existing compounds have changed as well?
Old: https://www.ferodoracing.com/assets/Uploads/grafico2020.jpg
New: https://www.ferodoracing.com/assets/Uploads/charts-2021.jpg

·
Registered
693 Posts
I realised I missed the tail end of this...

No, he didn't like the way you just steer (or indeed 'think') the 86 around bends - prefers to chuck the car into bends to set it up like a saloon car so that you can rely that it's going to turn in. I can sort of get that - I really had to adapt my driving style of years when I got the 86, but I'm happy with the change, and now I'm on Avon ZV7s I can be sure the car will turn in :)
I guess on a modern front wheel drive car, the safety systems kick in and reducing understeer, to help get you around the corner in one piece.
It's not as "rewarding" or "fun" as a rear wheel drive but I guess it does offer a certain level of... (it's hard put in to words) hmm... "Arcade Video Game Fun"? I guess it's a bit like playing Need For Speed or Grand Theft Auto, you turn the controller, something happens and there's little to get in the way. Not like the hard core simulators or indeed a car like the 86 in real life.

A lot of the marketing buzz around the 86 at launch, was geared towards drivers who missed fun rear wheel drive sports cars. I was going to say it might be a generational thing but the number of young folk I see in 86s and MX-5s is ever increasing!
That said, Europe and the UK in particular have an obsession with hot hatches, so I guess that as much as we love the 86 because of what it does. Others love cars that do things in a different way and so long as they are happy, that's cool with me :)

Don't diss the ST 😄
its a great little car, generally considered best in class year after year. I don't prefer it to the 86 but I 'get it' for a small hot hatchback. (I'm not tribal about cars I own)
The new Eco boost (dragon engine) is supposed to be solid, unlike the older ecoboost cars.
Still selling it this week though.
I guess I was being a bit mean, especially as it's the 1.0L EcoBoost engines that seem to be the worst? I had a family member go though an absolute ordeal with Ford over a blown engine.
Small hatches are not a form factor I'm a big fan of but that's just me. As above, long as you enjoy driving your car and it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters 👍😃

Some people seem to like the kind of "tipping over" type feeling, where the car is understeering and you have to just-about get it around the corner. Not sure I've described that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean.
I think I see what you mean. It's that feeling of movement but of relative safety as the same time?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I guess on a modern front wheel drive car, the safety systems kick in and reducing understeer, to help get you around the corner in one piece.
On our 2007 french MPV car pressing brake pedal while pressing throttle caused the throttle to cut for several seconds, but if I pressed the brake sufficiently hard and fast throttle was not cut, so you could drift the car on loose surfaces :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got in it at 5.30am and drove to work (as mentioned earlier, new job is long hours....) .

Commute is the same though (new job is a stone's throw from old one) and includes a well surfaced two lane (in each direction) D/C that initially loops round 180 degrees to the right and then 90 degrees to the left, straight after a set of lights and naturally is great fun in the 86 (just as it was in a MR2 and a E46 325ci).

This morning what made it (potentially) more fun, was that beside me as the lights changed to Green, was none other than:

A Fiesta ST 😃.

Not a common sight around here (nor is any hot hatch).

So naturally I'm pleased to say I was convincingly first around the loop and onto the following straight, (now I'm in my fifties I really should be past caring about such things 🙄) although I really couldn't say (officer) if my driving had much of a bearing on that outcome, I mean it's just two cars going round a S shaped curve, either they pop out the other end of it at about the same time or they don't.....

It occurred to me afterwards that I went around the curve at probably pretty much the same speed I would have done in Summer, yet the air temperature was only 2 degrees 😳 I've probably just got a little too accustomed to the Michelin Cross Climates' general tendency to stick like sh1t to a blanket....

Probably just as well that after 2 years with the 86 as my only car, I'm now planning on soon adding something more mundane to the fleet for winter commuting.

Maybe the ST was on Chinese budgets, Probably LOADS of "tipping over feeling" as he was going round, so at least he could "enjoy" that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Commute is the same though (new job is a stone's throw from old one) and includes a well surfaced two lane (in each direction) D/C that initially loops round 180 degrees to the right and then 90 degrees to the left, straight after a set of lights and naturally is great fun in the 86 (just as it was in a MR2 and a E46 325ci).
I bet the ST was understeer-limited on that 180 degree bend; just a question of how much front rubber you want to scrub off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Plant Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire

Come on, an ST can't go fast around a corner?
It's a bit more than just a corner, it's classed as a roundabout but isn't very much like most roundabouts to drive round because:

a) it's MASSIVE (probably takes me a good 8 or 10 seconds to go half round and exit onto the straight from a standing start)

and

b) It's traffic light controlled, so nobody else is entering or exiting, just you and the other cars in your lane and the adjacent lane.

As it's a public road I couldn't possibly comment on whether the ST was going "fast" 🙂

To be fair, the ST was fully stationary at the lights whereas I was slowly approaching (circa 5mph) just as they changed, so I had the advantage of a rolling start (which seemed fair enough against his low down Turbo grunt). In the above pic you can see where the traffic lights are from the position of the white stop line across the road at Top Left.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I can see it , so you're coming in from the top and then a full inner loop (radius 50m so on ordinary tyres you should be able to do sth like 50mph on the speedo), then squeezing through the slightly tightening corner where it is tempting to use both lanes, gearshift as you change tack and out. I wonder what a Fiesta in skilled hands can do with that.

As soon as it's a bit moist however..

·
Registered
693 Posts
I had an excellent time on track 😁

I sadly lost the footage from one session, which I think was around 8-10 laps. I do however, have recordings from the other 60! I can't quite believe I did that many and that the car did so it without issue.
That said, If I'd been paying attention I would have probably done less as I am aching today from supporting myself in the seat. I think I need to look at a harness next?

Thanks to the oil cooler, the oil temperature peaked at ~105°C but spent most of the time at ~103°C. As soon as I came off the place, the temperature dropped down in to the high 90s. Ambient was between 12 and 13°C throughout the day.

As for the new Ferodo DS1.11 pads and DBA discs up front...
When compared to the DS2500 pads and stock discs I had been using previously. I would say they were a "good" upgrade in terms of braking force and an "outrageous" improvement in terms of heat management. They just kept going, and going, and going! I still need to remove to pads and check the system over but I'm delighted with the setup.

Being able to brake harder and later, meant I was able to knock 2 seconds off my PB. Most importantly, I saw improvements was across the board.
As an example, I completed 9 laps during my last session of the day. 4 were better than my previous PB, 2 matched it, 1 was just a second slower. As for the other 2, I had to content with traffic but I was still only 2 and 3 seconds off a PB!

Quick Note: I only check lap times when I get home and watch the footage back. One, because lap timers are banned at track days and two, I prefer to focus on getting things right and consistency while on track. This is what leads to faster times, not staring at a timer.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm now starting to see an issue with the tyres under super heavy braking? As I'm only running Michelin Pilot Sports 4 tyres, which have a lot of groves and siping, the car feels to "wonder" a little when I'm braking at the end of a fast straight, say from 110/115mph down to 45/50mph. I only came to this conclusions as it feels a bit like heavy braking in a car with winter tyres on a dry warm day? I did start to experiment with tyre pressure which seemed to help a little.
I'm more than open to suggestions to fixes if folk think it's something else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same as above, first cold winter spell and the battery gives up. Can't complain as it lasted 5 yrs. Original was the Panasonic 62Ah, 620A one. Replaced it with a Yuasa YBX3031, 72Ah, 630A. More cranking power but less weight. Weight of the new battery is 17Kg compared to 17.9Kg for the older one. Win, Win!
Same as above.. My 66 Plate facelift model's battery died three days ago. Jump start, battery level showed 3/4 full.... Immediately thought dead cells. But I drove it up and down the motorway for 40 minutes, down some country roads and did some shopping. Car started fine on return from the shop. Thought that it might be an oddity and removed my USB adaptor from the central tray just in case. Following day it turned over slightly slower, but still, happy days. Then yesterday... Dead again. Jump started with my girlfriends Yaris, but this time it took about 18 minutes after I turned over and failed to start the engine twice after 5 minutes. Once jump started the battery level showed strong at 75%. I drove it like a maniac for another hour then came home and parked. Today it's gone into the Toyota garage for a new battery to be fitted tomorrow. Had to be done, I'm off to the airport on Friday and the car has to sit for a week.. Timing eh? I think the cold weather killed it too.

8081 - 8100 of 8120 Posts