GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
8061 - 8080 of 8120 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just that if you sell your GT and buy a GR, then presumably you'll have little reason to keep posting on here......

....and this already too quiet forum will get about 25% quieter ☹.

Certainly my post count has dropped off a cliff recently, but that's new full time jobs for you 🙂
Haha! I'm sure I'd still be around. I've enough notes/part numbers written down and crap floating around in my head, to keep attempting to be helpful for a while yet 😂

Even with a full time job, I must admit I tend to check for new posts on coffee/lunch breaks lol. Bad habit.

---

Speaking of the GR. Jokes aside, as no one has said it's a terrible idea... I'll keep pondering what to do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Haha! I'm sure I'd still be around. I've enough notes/part numbers written down and crap floating around in my head, to keep attempting to be helpful for a while yet 😂

Even with a full time job, I must admit I tend to check for new posts on coffee/lunch breaks lol. Bad habit.

---

Speaking of the GR. Jokes aside, as no one has said it's a terrible idea... I'll keep pondering what to do.
Well yeah I realise it's quite possible to be employed full time and spend a couple of hours a day web browsing (not saying you spend that long) - just like my last year at Network Rail in fact untill I resigned through sheer boredom (a very long time ago now.....)

I'm just 7 weeks into a very different job though, I'm not sure full time quite covers it - 12 hour days are typical and 14 or 15 not unheard of, so as I was down to 3, 7 hour days in my previous role, there's been a period of adjustment necessary 🤣.

Should you sell your GT86?

Personally, I don't find the GR that appealing. Styling looks a bit bland and generic next to my MK1 GT to me, and the dashboard is (Inevitably) rammed with oversize crappy TFT screens :(

Ok, so there's the promise of more power/torque and better handling but as I find the performance of my stock tune car sufficient and the handling (on KWV1s) fabulous, why should I care?

If I want similar mid range torque to the GR, I can just get a TD manifold + tune.

If I decide I can't live without at least 230bhp, I can get a supercharger kit and have 270bhp??? and all for a hell of a lot less than 30k.

Plus the GR has got a silly name.

GRRRR.....

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree with most of the above points, its a nice upgrade in terms of performance but in appearance where Toyota is bringing out whack like the CHR and Supra they seem to have put the new F Type through a blur filter and mistyped Gt86. I drive a Greaty Six. Looks like the new forum is for the US market which seems a waste when the FT86 forum seemed to cover everything.

As for what I did today, finally working through modernising my current car. While I could get a decent sale for the car and mods, the GR isn't enough of an upgrade to trade up to so going to smarten the car as is. Bought the £15 set of ebay interior LED lights, not the nicest colour being daylight white but the old bulbs were flickering and looking dated. Armed with a kitchen knife to unclip the holders the whole lot was done in no time. Easy mod and hopefully better for the battery too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well yeah I realise it's quite possible to be employed full time and spend a couple of hours a day web browsing (not saying you spend that long) - just like my last year at Network Rail in fact untill I resigned through sheer boredom (a very long time ago now.....)

I'm just 7 weeks into a very different job though, I'm not sure full time quite covers it - 12 hour days are typical and 14 or 15 not unheard of, so as I was down to 3, 7 hour days in my previous role, there's been a period of adjustment necessary 🤣.

Should you sell your GT86?

Personally, I don't find the GR that appealing. Styling looks a bit bland and generic next to my MK1 GT to me, and the dashboard is (Inevitably) rammed with oversize crappy TFT screens :(

Ok, so there's the promise of more power/torque and better handling but as I find the performance of my stock tune car sufficient and the handling (on KWV1s) fabulous, why should I care?

If I want similar mid range torque to the GR, I can just get a TD manifold + tune.

If I decide I can't live without at least 230bhp, I can get a supercharger kit and have 270bhp??? and all for a hell of a lot less than 30k.

Plus the GR has got a silly name.

GRRRR.....
😂 It's more a case of reading any new posts during the day and spending far too much time researching and writing a reply on evenings and weekends.

What was your boring role at network rail? In my head it's all go, managing faults and run away trains. Maybe Hollywood has warped my perception lol.
Cricky! That's quite the jump in hours, Iuused to work days like that as well. Brutal but fun and rewarding 👍

GR86.
There are bits they aren't perfect but I just feel it will be the last car of that type we'll ever see a d it would be good to own a bit of history. Then again, I've since heard it refered to as being "more like a Lexus" so I'm worried it's last the rawness that made the original twins so much fun?

Spending the money I could have spent on a GR would make for some epic upgrades to a GT. Hmm...

I agree with most of the above points, its a nice upgrade in terms of performance but in appearance where Toyota is bringing out whack like the CHR and Supra they seem to have put the new F Type through a blur filter and mistyped Gt86. I drive a Greaty Six. Looks like the new forum is for the US market which seems a waste when the FT86 forum seemed to cover everything.

As for what I did today, finally working through modernising my current car. While I could get a decent sale for the car and mods, the GR isn't enough of an upgrade to trade up to so going to smarten the car as is. Bought the £15 set of ebay interior LED lights, not the nicest colour being daylight white but the old bulbs were flickering and looking dated. Armed with a kitchen knife to unclip the holders the whole lot was done in no time. Easy mod and hopefully better for the battery too.
A unified design language is always going to make for a couple of, 'odd' looking cars lol. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person though :)

Haha! "F Type + Blur Filter" is a very good way of putting it.

Greaty Six 👍

·
Registered
194 Posts
What was your boring role at network rail? In my head it's all go, managing faults and run away trains. Maybe Hollywood has warped my perception lol.
The short answer is "Trainee Engineer".

It was my original Ultimate boss (at least two tiers higher up than myself) that got closer to the Hollywood style fun - full responsibility for thousands of miles of track (and the threat of jail time if found negligent......)

Essentially my role was boring 'cos I spent 18 months without a line manager - not a great state of affairs when (in Railway Engineering terms) you're a know nothing trainee.

In the real world, after the guy that recruited me left (and it was clear they weren't able to find a suitable replacement) i'd have been made redundant.

Railtrack / Network Rail not much like the real world though (in my experience). In 4 years there I probably did about a month's worth of useful work.

And people wonder why train tickets are so expensive.......

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Gave my godson a drive in the GT86. He liked the short shifts in the gearbox and the instant throttle response, but didn't like the direct steering (?!), and concluded he'd prefer a Fiesta ST. No taste.
May be he wants the real 4/5 seats to ferry his mates around :) and potentially save a bit on insurance costs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
May be he wants the real 4/5 seats to ferry his mates around :) and potentially save a bit on insurance costs.
No, he didn't like the way you just steer (or indeed 'think') the 86 around bends - prefers to chuck the car into bends to set it up like a saloon car so that you can rely that it's going to turn in. I can sort of get that - I really had to adapt my driving style of years when I got the 86, but I'm happy with the change, and now I'm on Avon ZV7s I can be sure the car will turn in :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Don't diss the ST 😄

its a great little car, generally considered best in class year after year. I don't prefer it to the 86 but I 'get it' for a small hot hatchback. (I'm not tribal about cars I own)

The new Eco boost (dragon engine) is supposed to be solid, unlike the older ecoboost cars.

Still selling it this week though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, he didn't like the way you just steer (or indeed 'think') the 86 around bends - prefers to chuck the car into bends to set it up like a saloon car so that you can rely that it's going to turn in.
Some people seem to like the kind of "tipping over" type feeling, where the car is understeering and you have to just-about get it around the corner. Not sure I've described that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I really had to adapt my driving style of years when I got the 86.......
Interesting.......

I didn't have to adapt anything, just felt right at home straight away, but then the MR2s were just the same.

As for when I got my first MR2 years ago, yep still felt right at home straight away, most likely due to many years riding motorcycles - you largely "think" them around bends too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gave my godson a drive in the GT86. He liked the short shifts in the gearbox and the instant throttle response, but didn't like the direct steering (?!), and concluded he'd prefer a Fiesta ST. No taste.
On the face of it "the steering is too direct" seems a pretty bizarre criticism (unless you're about Eighty) - right up there with "the gearchange is too precise" or "if you press the pedal hard the brakes stop you too quickly".

I suppose some people will just tend to prefer what they are more used to......:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
5,796 Posts
On the face of it "the steering is too direct" seems a pretty bizarre criticism (unless you're about Eighty) - right up there with "the gearchange is too precise" or "if you press the pedal hard the brakes stop you too quickly".
Definitely need not try a Alfa Giulia then - Makes the 86 steering feel lazy and the brakes are very fierce. 😆

8061 - 8080 of 8120 Posts