GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

7781 - 7800 of 7833 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I replaced one of the rear light gaskets around 2 years ago (gasket ninja). I've noticed recently that the same light was starting to show a large amount of moisture again. Upon investigating, the nuts had come completely loose and were spinning freely! I also had a small pool of water under the boot tray which I done my best to mop up with cloths.

I've tightened the nuts back up, perhaps tighter than they were before, unplugged the indicator bulb, and put a couple bags of dehumidifiers there (probably won't be driving the car for a few days anyway).

This obviously isn't a fault with the gasket... I clearly just didn't tighten them up enough. Perhaps a touch of locktite might be needed. I have another gasket there anyway so it's no big deal if I need to redo it again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I replaced one of the rear light gaskets around 2 years ago (gasket ninja). I've noticed recently that the same light was starting to show a large amount of moisture again. Upon investigating, the nuts had come completely loose and were spinning freely! I also had a small pool of water under the boot tray which I done my best to mop up with cloths.

I've tightened the nuts back up, perhaps tighter than they were before, unplugged the indicator bulb, and put a couple bags of dehumidifiers there (probably won't be driving the car for a few days anyway).

This obviously isn't a fault with the gasket... I clearly just didn't tighten them up enough. Perhaps a touch of locktite might be needed. I have another gasket there anyway so it's no big deal if I need to redo it again.
To exert the right amount of force onto the gasket use of a torque wrench is recommended for these bolts (assuming you haven't).

The recommended torque is a relatively tiny circa 4.5 Nm I believe, so I picked up a Bluespot 1/4 inch drive 2-24 Nm torque wrench when I swapped out my water filled driver's side rear light for a used item last year.

The replacement light has happily stayed moisture free, so I reckon the torque wrench did it's job. They're £16 on eBay.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Indeed, it seems the nuts have to be secured to juuuuuust the right amount. Everyone says "don't overtighten", but you do have to snug them up fairly tight or water leaks past.
I didn't want to buy a torque wrench that I would use once and then never again because the torque requirement was so ridiculously low :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah I have no torque wrenches to speak of! I must have just been a little too cautious and not snugged them up tight enough. I suspect I'll have to replace the gasket (still got one left) as I'm guessing there will be all manner of dirt and grime between the surfaces with it being loose for a while. Preferably I'll wait until the dry/sunny weather before doing that. I'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't want to buy a torque wrench that I would use once and then never again because the torque requirement was so ridiculously low :D
Yes I know what you mean, but generally I'd rather buy a (£16) tool and risk only needing it once than not buy it and risk having to do the job at least twice, but then I'm lazy and I quite like buying tools.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Washed it.
No time for polish and wax though, I'm on wallpapering duty.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Given that I'd installed VLAND tail lights last week, I decided to also put some LED bulbs in the front and side indicators. Pretty easy to do...hardest part is taking the side indicator out of the wheel arch without breaking the metal clips (which I managed to do on one side :/ ). Means all the indicators are now LED, and gives a car a bit a more modern touch (and the front indicators are much brighter, too).

For anyone who wants to know, these are the bulbs I bough (actually after reading a thread on the driver's club forum). The fronts were quite pricey, granted...however there are completely plug and play. I gather that with most LED indicator bulbs, you need to replace the flasher relay in order to ensure they don't flash too quickly, or have a long first flash. Not so with these - I just took out the old filament bulbs, put these in and they flash exactly the same, but brighter.
Front indicator: 1 x Canbus BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB No Hyperflash 7440 W21W T20 582 582A
Side repeater: T10 LED ERROR FREE CANBUS 8 SMD YELLOW / AMBER W5W 501 SIDE MARKER REPEATER

I was also hoping to receive my new headunit today. Got a notification that it had been dispatched yesterday, then another one later in the evening from DPD saying it had been delayed. From what I gather, it's made it as far as the local collection depot as of this morning, but because it was delayed, it didn't go get put on a van for delivery today. It's like they knew I was waiting for it, so hopefully, I will be seeing that tomorrow, or it's going to end up getting bumped to next week :/

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
New head unit in today!

Kenwood DMX8020DABS. Includes wireless Android Auto and a capacitive touch screen. Very slick, I can finally just get in the car with my phone in my pocket, and access Spotify, Audible, maps etc all though the head unit.

Really pleased, sounds great. Only downside is that the fascia isn't a great fit, but that seems to be par for the course in these cars.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
After seeing the official release photos from Toyota UK of the GR86, I went out to the garage and told my car it was "safe" now. No change required.

Here's an image. Loads more on social media and you tube. I don't mind it, but the front is not as adventurous as the BRZ, but I suppose it is closer to the corporate GR look of the GR Yaris and jap version of the GR CHR. Although, the GR Corolla has the same front as the standard models. Must stop overthinking this!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'll wait till I've seen one in person but... I can't say I'm a fan of the front end of the GR86. The BRZ looks a lot nicer in my opinion, the wider more flowing grill just looks more at home?

As said, I'll wait till I see...
I wasn't a fan of the Supra till I saw one in person, only then did I realised how fantastic it looks. Also, no image or video has managed to convay how wide and squat the GR Yaris looks. One over took me last week and it looks absolutely bonkers (in a good way)!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't hate it. I still prefer the looks of my 2013 car.

That said, it's going to have anew interior, new engine, more power, more usable torque, while retaining the formula of being fairly light and hopefully just as fun. If the price is right, I can see myself upgrading to one in the future.

To be honest, it doesn't even look that different from the current car. You wouldn't be surprised if this had just been another facelift.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll wait till I've seen one in person but... I can't say I'm a fan of the front end of the GR86. The BRZ looks a lot nicer in my opinion, the wider more flowing grill just looks more at home?

As said, I'll wait till I see...
I agree that out of the two, the new BRZ probably looks better.

I predict a healthy UK demand for new BRZ or BRZ replica front bumpers.....

Reactions: Kaviar

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
For comparison

Reactions: MR2

·
Registered
78 Posts
For comparison
Ha - really not so sure now, probably prefer the BRZ grill but the GR vents either side ???

Not that I really care. I would consider a new GR eventually, but not exactly unhappy that I think my grey 2012 GT looks better either !

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm not really impressed by the front or back of either new car; I need to see them in all colours. Of the two, I'd take the Toyota judging by the photos above, but in the metal? Don't know. We do now know, hoewever, that they both have the Insignia rear, unfortunately - how many years ago was that designed to look fashionable?

That said, the miles are racking up on my 86, and I like the sound of the engine revisions - a flatter torque curve would be nice along with a bit more easy grunt at intermediate revs - you don't always want to have to decide between ambling or flat-out.

One bit of styling I do like is the detail above and behind the front wheel arch.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I actually really love the look of the GR86! I prefer it to the BRZ version in all honesty. It's all subjective I guess. A lot of design cues taken from the 2012 model. I know for certain I'll be owning one of these eventually, albeit it won't be for a few years!

Today I replaced the gasket (again) on my rear light. Fingers crossed that it's sorted once again. Also washed, waxed, trim treated. Some much needed TLC.

7781 - 7800 of 7833 Posts