GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

7721 - 7740 of 7756 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Do you have an over with a defrost setting, so is at 30-35 degrees or something? Will help evaporate the water and then leave to air.
Lowest setting is 50C, but our oven is notoriously inaccurate and weak, so it's probably fine for that. Thing is, with the OEM lights you can remove the bulb holder to drain it and then let it evaporate. But the Valenti lights are all LED, so I don't think there's a removable holder as such?

I'm not sure, I need to take them off the car and look, I just haven't got time at the moment. For the moment, I have turned the car around so the light that has water in it will be in the sun for the rest of the day, hoping that might warm it enough to start the drying process. Then I'll try and take them off this evening when I have some time (to clarify, it's only the driver's side light which has water...passenger side looks fine).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well, it's got in so there must be a source of entry. The VLANDs have a form of breather holes on them.
You were right. It's due to rain later today, so I took the lights off in my lunchbreak - there's some small drain holes in the back of the light. Managed to shake the worst of the water out. It's now sitting in the oven on a low heat, so hopefully that should dry the rest out.

It was indeed the gasket which had failed - pretty much perished entirely on the bad cluster. The passenger side was still dry, but the gasket was very close to failing in the same way. I've ordered the replacements from gasket ninjas. I'll have to suffer the indignity of Lexus -looking OEM lights for a few weeks :p

Interestingly, I thought the gasket of the OEM lights that went back on looked in better nick than the Valenti gaskets, and they'd been on the car for probably 5 years before I swapped them. They were still going crusty, but the top edge still hadn't perished entirely.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Pics of new TRD gearknob and Sparco seatbelt pads.

Unfortunately I also have a husky and am already struggling to keep hair out the car :rolleyes:
Red details look great in there!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
New tail light gaskets arrived from the US yesterday, so last night, I diligently attached them to the now dry Valenti clusters with the provided sealant and put them back in the car. It was raining lightly as I did so, which ended up being helpful, as there was a slight leak at first, but it turned out the bolts just needed tightening. This morning, after an evening of rain, so far no leaks. Success right?

Except...after fitting the lights, I gave them a quick check and found out that three of the LEDs for the indicator on the passenger side cluster (the one which wasn't even leaking to begin with) have failed. The LEDs which form the horizontal segment of the indicator are all okay, but the three on the end which form a kind of arrow shape, have stopped working.

Now, to be honest, I have no idea how long they have been out (how often does one look at one's own indicators in action, after all). They could have been like that for months. And you probably wouldn't even notice unless you had the hazards on. But now that I know that its there, it's going to bug the **** out of me :/

Oh well. The indicators are still visible, so it's not a safety issue. I might just put aside some money over the next few months and treat myself to a brand new set later in the year (this pair were second hand). But its very irritating. I've come to really like the Valenti lights. I bought this set opportunistically, as I never thought the OEM lights looked as bad as everyone said on a white car. Usually, I would just revert to OEM and be done with it. But I have to accept that the car looks far better with the Valenti lights.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Oh well. The indicators are still visible, so it's not a safety issue. I might just put aside some money over the next few months and treat myself to a brand new set later in the year (this pair were second hand). But its very irritating. I've come to really like the Valenti lights. I bought this set opportunistically, as I never thought the OEM lights looked as bad as everyone said on a white car. Usually, I would just revert to OEM and be done with it. But I have to accept that the car looks far better with the Valenti lights.
I suppose that is the big risk with the LEDs on aftermarket lights. It is something I have worried about myself, especially having purchased a ltd edition set from the USA!

Reactions: Bobocop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the car back from Toyota yesterday.

Brake light housing was leaking so it was fixed on warranty. Had OEM mudflaps fitted and an aftermarket DAB aerial taken out (previous owner had it fitted but didn't supply the remote control for it). I just use my phone for music anyway and the little box stuck to the windscreen was annoying.

I don't have a great deal of confidence in the stock brake light seals so if they end up leaking again I'll swap them out for Gasket Ninja rubber.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Bobocop: brodit ones are nice. Except suggest to find one that is both universal AND active mount. It feels very nice with such, when you put phone in it gets automatically power connected too, without any need to reach for and plug in manually powering wire. Small but extra bit towards more comfort.

·
Registered
285 Posts
2nd MOT ... sailed through ...

Still plenty of tread on those Primacy HP's .. mores the pity!! But with just under 34k in 4 years I'm not surprised ..

Managed about 4k since last mot :( Damn lockdowns ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
fitted an armrest cover over the weekend; sourced from a breaking car - had to line up the lid with hinge and surround section, drill small holes into the top of the console, insert rubber plugs, screw in with allen head bolts. a bit fiddly but pretty easy - and happy with the result.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fitted a HKS air filter today. throttle feels a bit sharper/more responsive and sound might be a touch louder. gear changes (auto) might be tad snappier, but could be all placebo effect.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Lovely day yesterday. Engine bay not been cleaned up properly since recall done nearly a year ago. Pleased with the result.

7721 - 7740 of 7756 Posts