GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

7701 - 7720 of 7756 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Car in today on its 4th anniversary for an MOT and the 60k service. Always an anxious moment entrusting it to someone else.

Because it's a time-consuming service, I've got a loan car in the form of a brand new Corolla, and I have to say I'm underwhelmed by it. Obviously it's more refined, but (in the order I noticed them) vision is actually worse than from the 86, I need to move an enormous steering wheel and gear lever a long way to make them do what I want, and it feels surprisingly gutless. On the plus side, I suppose, it's often going quicker than I thought - it is so quiet; then again, I guess we can regard the noise in the 86 as a safety measure :)

As one who likes to get within an mph of the limit at all times (when there isn't some [email protected] blocking the outside lane in front of me, which is rare) I'm really missing the digital speedo. But I'm about to delve into the handbook to see if one can be enabled (surely?).

Finally, as I observed to the service lady, "ah no handbrake, I won't be buying one of these, then". Even less forgivably, that's also a major omission on the Cayman, though.

Overall, feeling the need to get my nice, raw "1990s car" back...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just been announced that Scotland is going back into full lockdown midnight tonight. Car hasn't been driven since Thursday, and won't be getting driven again until this Friday (working from home until then)... think I will take it out for a quick run this evening to keep it going. (Especially with temperatures being in the negatives since Wednesday last week).

·
Registered
401 Posts
If I could work from home I'd be the size of a hippo

·
Registered
401 Posts
Haha, well, there's certainly been an increase in the number of take-aways and snacks being consumed!

Diet starts on Monday :grin:

Maybe.

Work placed me on furlough leave not long after this all kicked off due to being asthmatic.
After about 3 months I'd put on well over a stone. Went back to work and within about a month it was all gone :smile_big:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
My battery isn't going to survive this lockdown, probably going to have to leave car elsewhere plugged in to a ctek, or let it die and replace it when restrictions are lifted.

Tried a 10w solar charger, not a dent in the drain.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My battery isn't going to survive this lockdown, probably going to have to leave car elsewhere plugged in to a ctek, or let it die and replace it when restrictions are lifted.

Tried a 10w solar charger, not a dent in the drain.

Or just unplug the battery, and lock it manually on the key. Then reconnect the battery when you want to use it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cleaned the windows, and gave the interior a dust down. Driving the car minimally just now due to the lockdown and home working.

I must say though, for a RWD sports car, it does really well on the snow (which we've had a lot of here recently). I put a Sportage and a BMW to shame on the untreated hill outside our house last week. They had admitted defeat, and I could tell they thought I was nuts as I approached. I trundled up the hill no problem on the traction control. That's with a set of crappy Primacy's on the rear which are almost at the legal limit. Love it :D

·
Super Moderator
3,487 Posts
Battery gave up the ghost yesterday,not surprised as I hadn't driven anywhere for 3 weeks. It was the Toyota 65Ah replacement which was dated October 2014.Replaced with Halfords Yuasa HSB072 Silver 12v car battery, perfect fit. Just be aware one of the batteries that Halfords lists for our cars,the terminals are the wrong way round!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Battery gave up the ghost yesterday,not surprised as I hadn't driven anywhere for 3 weeks. It was the Toyota 65Ah replacement which was dated October 2014.Replaced with Halfords Yuasa HSB072 Silver 12v car battery, perfect fit. Just be aware one of the batteries that Halfords lists for our cars,the terminals are the wrong way round!!
Excellent battery, just a bit pricey from Halfords.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Agreed, but my local branch is about a mile away, they had it in stock and I needed it ASAP. Gave me something to do as well!!!
Always good to support retail and staff. Otherwise we will soon have a online only world .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
For reference, if you are a premium member of the Toyota Owners Club, you get a discount card for Halfords worth 15% discount (excluding bikes). I have found this very useful when buying dash cams, wiper blades, maintenance items etc.

Reactions: Loisaida and BRZ

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Off to the garden centre for eggs and bread from the farm shop. Was very quiet so I was able to park right here!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Walking back to the car at the shops earlier, found water pooled in the bottom of my lights...only thing is, I have Valentis, not OEM. Had them a couple of years with no issue (second hand, so no warranty).

Just ordered replacement gaskets from Gasket Ninja. Thing is, they're in the US, so that's a $30 dollar product with $22 dollars of shipping :/

In the meantime, how best to dry them out? Do I just take them off the car and leave them inside for a while? Stick a hairdryer on them? I still have my OEM lights in the garage, so I can mount them in the meantime I guess.

Attachments

7701 - 7720 of 7756 Posts