GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
If it had an Audi badge on they would have gave it 4. I get so sick of hearing "it needs a turbo". Yeah it could do with a little more mid range torque but to consider 200bhp poor makes no sense. My Celica has 190 and feels nippy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm happy with a 200 bhp car that can keep up with powerful cars through the bends. You cant drift a Type R or MeganeSport :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GT86 will be a head turner.
Before I ordered an auto GT86 i weighed up getting a TT S line 211 bhp S-Tronic. I drove one and it was seriously quick (0-60 5.5 secs) but understeered andi'd look likea yuppie and everyone has one.

The GT86 is much better looking, handles much betterand although slower will make me smile!

·
Registered
278 Posts
R32 GTR said:
I'm happy with a 200 bhp car that can keep up with powerful cars through the bends. You cant drift a Type R or
MeganeSport :)
All cars are different, have different characteristics and attract different types off buyers. For those reasons people form opinions based on other people's views.
For instance the RenaultSport Megane 250 doesn't torque steer in any way at all. But using that example someone can't truly comment on a car unless they have real experience with it - not just a journalist's test drive either.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Speedymurr said:
R32 GTR said:
I'm happy with a 200 bhp car that can keep up with powerful cars through the bends. You cant drift a Type R or
All cars are different, have different characteristics and attract different types off buyers. For those reasons people form opinions based on other people's views.
For instance the RenaultSport Megane 250 doesn't torque steer in any way at all. But using that example someone can't truly comment on a car unless they have real experience with it - not just a journalist's test drive either.

We could argue this for the GT86 as well. How can we comment when none of us have driven it?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R32 GTR said:
Speedymurr said:
R32 GTR said:

We could argue this for the GT86 as well. How can we comment when none of us have driven it?
I have!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Haha not quite the same. Thats we need to rely on Journo reviews until we get to experience it for ourselves

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
R32 GTR said:
Haha not quite the same. Thats we need to rely on Journo reviews until we get to experience it for ourselves
You've got my road test review to go on. It is a great drive, light, direct and FUN!!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I think some mags miss the point with cars, and I'm not just talking about the 86. For me it will never go on a track and whilst it's nice to drive it hard there is only so much you can do on our roads without being a danger so for me the 86 is more than enough. It will stand out from the Audi's and the whole thing Toyota has tried to do is make a car that is designed to be modified - I think this is the reason they've not gave it massive power from the start, they are leaving it up to us if we want to play

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm afraid that the 'disappointed' reviews from What Car, Evo and others have dampened my ardour to the extent that I'm not going to order until I've test driven, and perhaps waited to see how the car is regarded by new owners once that initial new car euphoria has worn off.

But I really hope that I'll be persuaded to get one in due course.
Edited by: sherlocksdad

·
Registered
193 Posts
To be honest if there was something in that price range that I really fancied then I would go and get a new car as im that peeved with Toyota. But the GT86 just ticks all the boxes so i have to wait.

I test drove an Audi TT to and it just felt souless, CRZ was nice but FAR to slow, 370z is too expensive to run, dont want a 2 seater, Renault Meganes have caused a tonne of probs for my dad with the 2 he has had etc etc. So I think the GT is for me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a RS250 and it was extremely well put together and caused no issues. Renault have improved their build quality dramatically with the current Mark III Meganes.

To be honest now I've seen a GT86 "in the flesh" as it were, the wait of a few weeks more is slightly irrelevant as long as the launch date does not move back. From what i've seen, sitting behind the wheel, looking under the bonnet, etc, etc, a GT86 has been a good choice to order. After all until recently no dealer was able to confirm an absolute delivery date on individual cars, but merely quoted the launch date.

ps -The Gt86 is essentially a two seater as you'll never get an adult in the back seats, unless they're some sort of yoga expert
. A couple of small children yes, but any average sized adults will have the seats slid far enough back to essentially remove rear legroom. the rear seats are more useful as storage than seats for adults.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thats almost a copy and paste of the GT86 article. Lazy journos

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay, I've looked at the BRZ and test driven the GT86 (also owned the 350z and 370z) so hopefully can add little until my GT86 arrives.

The BRZ I looked at had the lovely WR blue colour and the great front wing emblems. The interior was a little disappointing for build quality on some items and overall looked great. I tried to order but 8 month waiting list put me off.

I went to look and drive the GT86 today and initially I prefer the front end, dislike the front wing emblems, but the interior much better. The GT86 dash was much better in black and seemed better installed than the Subaru grey inserts.

Comparing either car to the Nissan isnt fair. The Nissan 350z was sporty and unrefined with a little power missing, but a lovely car. The 370z was much more refined, and more power meant more acceleration and torque, but the car did seem heavy and cornering was always taken with a little care. The 370z had bags of torque and acceleration was brilliant. The interior was also better quality than the GT86 in more areas.

It was also heavy on petrol and I hope a big difference against the GT86.

The test drive with the '86 today actually brought back the enjoyment of the original 350z with a bit of the 370z refinement, and some added 'go-cart' feel,

I think I'll have more fun with this GT86 than my previous Nissans.

G

·
Clearly it's a little annoying when a review doesn't agree with our own perceptions, but it's only one man's opinion. I've ordered an 86 because when I saw it I fancied the looks and when I drove it I enjoyed it.It really doesn't matter how much fred journo or jezza clarkson slate it - I like it, as do most of us here.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
WARNING WARNING WHAT CAR GIVE THE GT86 A BASHING. IT COME 4TH OUT OF 4!

One of the my colleagues politely told me this morning. Serves me right for banging on about Top Gear and AutoCAR reveiws...

Personally I have never liked or trusted what car reviews. I cannot help but think they are a bunch of accountants when it comes to review a car..... I mean who cars if it noiser than a TT or has a firmer ride and no turbo. ITS A SPORTS CAR!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts