GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my black GT86 4 weeks on Monday and nearly reached 1000 miles but already have a couple of stone chips, one down to the metal on the bonnet and more annoyingly a few on the windscreen. The worst thing about having a new car is that you notice every little imperfection that occurs almost daily
am I just unlucky?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It happens mate. You're right about new cars showing evry blemish.
I've just noticed a really really faint car park ding on my passenger door, not evena dent just a slight deflection in howsun reflectsoff paint.So small my wife couldn't see it.

Off to a guy I know on Saturday who removes them with rods, so I only have to bare it for 2 more days.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
A lot of people do not care about their own or other peoples cars and so they will just hit doors and bumpers and not bother to tell you...shame they drive I say!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm afraid it's a thang with thin Japanese water-based paint.

Get yerself a tube of touch-up and get building-up the drips straight away.

If you use a hole punch to punch out a circle of 2000 grit, superglue it to the rubber end of a pencil, it's ideal for flatting-off the high spot once it's dried off:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The dingon my car is so small that in today's cloudy weather I had trouble finding it. Still, it's definitely there so i has to come out on Saturday.
I've seen new GT86's in showrooms with bigger dings, no joke.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
This method is alright for non-metallic paints but a thick blob of touch-up will lose the metallic flecks (they sink to the bottom of the blob). It's pretty tricky to successfully touch up metallic paint, but the Halfords touch-up sticks are very good as they have an extremely fine 'brush' which allows you to put a very thin coat on if you're careful.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify my post. Only use the Halfords sticks as brushes, but get the paint from an OEM touch up pot :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.