GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave the interior of my car a good clean last weekend, including giving the seats a well overdue proper scrub with leather cleaner. While I was there, I also decided to do the handbrake handle, the steering wheel and the leather gear knob with the same cleaner. I knew that the leather on my shift knob was a bit worn, but figured a clean wouldn't hurt - but it seems like I may have scrubbed it too aggressively (stop giggling at the back) and it seems to have actually taken the leather off in parts, leaving what feels like rubber underneath, which has also broken up a bit and feels quite rough.

It's not a big issue, but it's one of those things that will annoy me every time I get in the car. I was going to buy a new genuine replacement, but before I do, I figured I'd ask here, as I guess a lot of people might have switched to an aftermarket shift knob. Does anyone have an OEM black leather shift knob kicking about that they don't need and would be willing to sell? If so, please give me a shout
:)

Registered
Black with silver trims and red stitching?
I have one you could have for free if you can collect it. I'm a bit busy these days so probably won't get in to town to post it out.
It's got a couple of tiny marks but nothing major.

Registered
Ah, I've just noticed you're in Kent, so maybe not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With your OEM+ style build, I figured you might have been temped by a TRD one 馃ぃ
I did think about it, but genuine ones are about 拢100, and I couldn't find any info on the dimensions. I did buy an aftermarket gear knob a few years back but sold it because I found it too big and a bit cumbersome to use. If the TRD one is roughly the same diameter as the OEM then I might just justify the stupid price, but tbh the stock one feels pretty much perfect.

Black with silver trims and red stitching?
I have one you could have for free if you can collect it. I'm a bit busy these days so probably won't get in to town to post it out.
It's got a couple of tiny marks but nothing major.
That's it!
I appreciate the offer of giving it away, but it's too far for me to collect. However, I'd be more than happy to pay for it if posting it is inconvenient. Let me know if you change your mind.

Registered
I'll try and get a price to post it for you in the next week or so.

Reactions: Conscript

Registered
@Conscript
Hello mate, I've dug the gear knob out and it's actually more damaged than I thought. Some of the leather bit is peeling off and the silver trim on the top is all scuffed. Probably from not being stored carefully!
I'm not sure it's any good, I might just chuck it.

Reactions: Conscript

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Conscript
Hello mate, I've dug the gear knob out and it's actually more damaged than I thought. Some of the leather bit is peeling off and the silver trim on the top is all scuffed. Probably from not being stored carefully!
I'm not sure it's any good, I might just chuck it.
Ahh bugger. Not to worry then - my current one was in fab condition until I ruined the leather by cleaning, so it's probably not worth swapping for something else which also isn't in good condition.

Over the weekend I also tried a new Tomei Duracon knob on the adviceof someone on the other forum as a decent OEM replacement - unfortunately I couldn't get on with it, so am going to return it. So I might just suck it up and order a new OEM one.

Thanks for checking though, appreciate it :)

Registered
I actually have a Tomei duracon knob too, and that is in decent nick!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With your OEM+ style build, I figured you might have been temped by a TRD one 馃ぃ
Doing a bit of investigation, it seems the TRD knob is pretty much the same as the standard one, but a tad lighter and rounder in shape, and with a metal top. And looking on Nengun.com - it's actually about a quid cheaper than the standard one (albeit longer delivery. So if I'm getting a new one, it turns out I may as well get the TRD one anyway.

Registered
Hey @Conscript - I鈥檝e ordered myself a new gear knob for mine which should be here in the next week or 2鈥.

my current one is immaculate (19k miles and not a mark on it)

as long as I like my new one, I鈥檒l certainly be glad to sell my old one to a good home!

Plus I鈥檓 in Petts Wood, so not a million miles away!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey @Conscript - I鈥檝e ordered myself a new gear knob for mine which should be here in the next week or 2鈥.

my current one is immaculate (19k miles and not a mark on it)

as long as I like my new one, I鈥檒l certainly be glad to sell my old one to a good home!

Plus I鈥檓 in Petts Wood, so not a million miles away!
Cheers mate, that would be great! Is it black with the red stitching? (turns out some of them are just completely black but I think that's the BRZ ones). If so, then yeah, happy to give you some money for it. And yeah, I should be able to collect it from you.

I've also seen someone on Facebook who is breaking a GT86 next week, but it's a higher mileage car so yours would be preferable. Can you let me know when your new one arrives and we'll sort something out?

Registered
Cheers mate, that would be great! Is it black with the red stitching? (turns out some of them are just completely black but I think that's the BRZ ones). If so, then yeah, happy to give you some money for it. And yeah, I should be able to collect it from you.

I've also seen someone on Facebook who is breaking a GT86 next week, but it's a higher mileage car so yours would be preferable. Can you let me know when your new one arrives and we'll sort something out?
It is black with red stitching, I鈥檒l let you know once my new one arrives and as long as Im happy with it, we can work something out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts