GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, how goes it? You well? awesome 馃憤

Just another lonely hearts ad here for a guy who's seen a combination of a few pictures, videos and one or two real life encounters which left me saying I wouldn't mind having to hop in one of those every day. With that I've skulking around the board a bit recently and thought I should make an account & introduce myself as it feels a bit voyeuristic looking through a forum board without anyone there knowing.

Anyways, my daily commute is less than 14 miles a workday and the 86 is one of the few cars I like that is within my price range and will fit in my relatively small garage.

I don't own a fleet of track/daily cars, just the one which I'm looking to potentially replace with a silver 2013-14 GT86/BRZ & have a few queries I'm sure you fine (let's be honest, mostly) gents will be able to easily answer. Also any advice for a first time 86 buyer would be appreciated. I did actually work for Toyota for 2 years between 2014 & 15 so I know a few basic tricks, like don't try and open the doors if the windows are frozen over and the standard tyres fitted from Toyota are absolutely useless unless you intend to spend most of your journey sideways.

But the things I'm wondering are as follows:

When you switch the cruise control on, does the speed it's set to appear on the dash? I know this seems like an odd question but I use cruise control a lot, keeps me from speeding, and one of the current brands I work with, up until 2016 when you put the cruise control on it literally doesn't display the speed the cruise was set to, you just have to turn it on and wait to see what your cruising speed was.

I understand that up until the facelift in 2016(?) they never came with steering wheel controls, is there any way to retrofit steering wheel controls onto an earlier model or would that be a huge mess of a job?

Lastly, that I can currently think of, I know this is already asked everywhere but some real genuine opinions would be appreciated, for the first time in my life I genuinely don't mind if it's an auto or a manual. The only thing stopping me from going for an auto is the very low speed control/response. I've seen many good things about the way the auto drives but not a lot about low speed control. The main reason being that my little garage is my only parking space so the car needs to live there every night I'm home and an auto box that might be prone to jolting simply won't cut it.

Anyway, cheers for reading through my almost endless nonsense 馃憤

Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
Hello and welcome :)

With the cruise control - it does not show you the speed it's set to, you are only able to see your current speed (in analogue and digital form). If you resume a cruise speed then you'll watch both readings change while the car reaches the speed. If you're not sure what your last speed was and want to avoid potentially rocketing off towards the sunset, a quick double-press of the button on the stalk will do a reset (turns if off and then on again). Resume speeds are not remembered when the cruise is turned off or ignition is off etc. I also use the cruise a lot and find it a good system overall.

On the steering wheel, people have done the job. You can also retrofit the later cluster too. Fair bit of work involved though from my understanding.

I haven't driven the auto so can't comment there, but the manual box is okay. It has issues when cold and is not the smoothest change in the world at times. But it's fit for purpose and adds to driver engagement if you like to heal+toe etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the cruise control - it does not show you the speed it's set to, you are only able to see your current speed (in analogue and digital form).
Ah damn, genuinely surprised by that, oh well. I wonder if the 2016 onwards are different?

On the steering wheel, people have done the job. You can also retrofit the later cluster too. Fair bit of work involved though from my understanding.
That's good to know, I'll do some searching around & see what I can dig up. Thanks for the info 馃憤

Registered
The cruise control on 2016+ cars is no different. I鈥檝e never driven a car that displays what speed it is set to so I鈥檝e never felt the need to know. I always cancel then reapply the cruise when I reach the speed I want to keep it at.

I don鈥檛 find any issues at low speed with the auto. Although I鈥檝e driven a few automatics in the past this is the first I鈥檝e ever owned. It can be prone to some sudden changes on the motorway but otherwise it鈥檚 fine. You鈥檒l probably have more fun with a manual quite honestly, except in traffic of course. I only decided on the auto as I had been struggling with a clutch at times. One of the downsides of getting old!

Registered
The Autobox in these never jolts (y) Mine is supercharged and idles at 850 rpm and even then it never jolts. Its smooth at any speed and any temperature (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cruise control on 2016+ cars is no different.
That's re-assuring to be honest, means I don't have any sold reasons to wait & save even longer for a good 2016+ model 馃憤 Also with those models, I'd only be looking for BRZs as I'm not keen on the 86's front bumpers around that time. I've not got anything against the BRZs at all, I just know they're much rarer than the 86's.
The Autobox in these never jolts (y) Mine is supercharged and idles at 850 rpm and even then it never jolts. Its smooth at any speed and any temperature (y)
I've seen online that the autobox has quite a bit of performance praise, it's great to know it's smooth at manoeuvring speeds as well, means I really can go for either now 馃憤

Registered
Not had mine too long, but the main criteria was it had to be an auto
I'd say it really is one of the best autos I've ever driven.
Leave it in full auto mode and it's a very competent cruiser with silky smooth changes, play around with sport mode or manual mode and for a standard torque converter box, it's awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts