5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Hi all

The Toyota service manual claims the valve train requires inspection every 10k miles (in other words every interim and major service).

Has anyone had the conversation with their dealer about this requirement? It could really push the service costs up a lot!

By inspection they probably mean lift the bonnet and listen for tapping. On older toyota's that all they used to do at the 6k intervals.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we'd need to check that. You can't measure valve lash by listening under the bonnet!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i've been trying to get to the bottom of this for a while. My local service dept. doesn't know. SteveP at Snows has spoken to his guys a couple of times with much the same.

I've spoken to Toyota head office and logged a ticket today to go to the technical team. I have asked for clarification on the following :-

- Is the 10k valve clearance interval in the owners handbook accurate
- Is this in the dealer service schedule/checklist
- If it is accurate, why on earth? As it's completely unreasonable

- And I will be adding this; what's the book time on doing this check? Could be very expensive!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
lordgrover said:
They're offering fixed price menu servicing c. £200 interim & £400 major aren't they?

That doesn't help if the service centre doesn't know what they are supposed to be doing in those services. I don't mind paying £200 if they are going to drop the engine and measure all the valve clearances within that price, but I suspect they won't be too happy about spending all day on a car's service and only earning £200 !

Thanks for taking this up Stu as my 10k service is fast approaching, but I still have to decide which dealer i'm going to trust for this work

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So over three weeks have gone by and no contact from Toyota. They said it'd be a few days.

Looks like Toyota GB have no idea about the GT86. Dealerships know little apart from random junk floating around on their intranet. No TSB's for common items like the fuel pumps etc. Very disorganised.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hachiroku said:
What are they saying on ft86?

I've not seen it discussed, nor have I raised it. I could, I suppose, but not sure it'd have much value as each market tends to have their own rules.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just chased Toyota GB up. The woman who logged the call was away from her desk but apparently someone will get her to call me this afternoon.............

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
And the other all time great lies of our time:

1. Of course I Love you
2. The cheques in the post
3. I promise not to *** in your mouth

Will Stu ever get an answer to the great valve clearance check question?

Watch next weeks exciting episode !

·
Registered
586 Posts
keelerad said:
And the other all time great lies of our time:

1. Of course I Love you
2. The cheques in the post
3. I promise not to *** in your mouth

Will Stu ever get an answer to the great valve clearance check question?

Watch next weeks exciting episode !

HAHAHA

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, surprisingly, a nice lady from Toyota customer relations did just call me back. However the information provided is somewhat dubious, so she's going to go away and clarify with the engineering/technical team.

Apparently the valve clearance check requirements in the service schedule are incorrect. Apparently the requirement is to do an 'audible test' rather than check clearances.

Now, you're a better person than me if you can measure valve clearances just by listening to the engine.

I asked her to verify this advice.

Unfortunately my current perception of Toyota is they don't have a clue.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think we can probably say that Toyota Japan probably know exactly what they are doing, seems like its the handover of required info to Toyota GB where things have gone amiss.

If they would like to offer me the job of Toyota GB GT86 tech rep, I am quite happy to fly back and forth to Japan at regular intervals, as I lived/worked there for 18 months back in the 80's for BAe and thought it was great!

Alec

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I admit, I do find it incredibly unlikely that the valve clearances need to be checked at that interval. It wasn't a typo was it? They didn't mean every 100,000miles did they?

Alec, you're just showing off now!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunately the problem isn't when they get noisy, but when they get quiet because the clearances have closed up. Lots of cars will do a LOT of miles without valve clearances needing any adjustment nowadays, but the BRZ and GT86 engineering team will have a very good idea of how often they need checking. If they are saying 10 K, an "audible" check won't be good enough for me unless they are also happy to replace the valves and recut the valve seats when they get burnt.

Liam

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So no call back from Toyota since March 12th. I'm getting sick of chasing them up to be honest.

I can only conclude the following:-

1) Toyota GB have no clue about the service schedule for the GT86
2) Their customer services team are useless
3) Their back-office/engineering people are lazy/clueless

This is a really poor show from Toyota. I don't feel very good as a customer as of now, between useless dealerships and terrible support from the parent, it's a miserable experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.