GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed something a little unusual with the USB playback of MP3 files...

Got one of those tiny 32GB SanDisk USB dongles to create a musical soundtrack I can leave in situ in the car's USB port. Last night I ripped three CD albums to MP3 (each in it's own separate folder) in this order then copied them across to the USB dongle;

Keane - Strangeland
Nik Kershaw - EI8HT
Florence & The Machine - Ceremonials

Long drive today so got it set to playback in sequential order (rather than random play) and it showed up as Folder 1, Track 1 as you'd expect but it wasn't the album or artist with the lowest alphabetical letter, it was Keane's Strangeland, played all tracks in order then went to Nik Kershaw's EI8HT...

If it was playing back sequentially using 'Artist' or 'Album Title' it should have picked Florence first...

But it played them in the order I'd ripped them so I'm assuming it's using the Folder creation date as it's basis for playback. Odd that, I thought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No idea what playback mode mine was in when I tried a USB stick the other, but the stick had four folders on, each one with some various stuff (some dodgy MOS eighties compilation and some random punk stuff) and they did come on in alphabetical order. However, they all showed up twice (and played twice), despite there being only one copy of each on the stick!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Double play could be playlists in each folder... have that happen to me all the time on computer too.

The playback order can seem random, and have never been able to figure out the order, but same when u burn mps cd's. Seem in some cases that it sets the first u copy over as folder 1, then 2 and so on. Regardless of alphabetical order, creation date etc. Not sure if correct tho. But, press "folder" and choose what u wanna listen to, and youre past all that.. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
You may be right on the playlist files, tho' I rarely use them.

On the order front, I wonder if it's reading the file names or the tags, which would make a difference to the running order, possibly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have the SanDisk 32GB USB stick too but I tend to use 'Random Folder' mode. Not sure how good the random selector is because every 2 or 3 songs I get a Dani Wilde song (not that I mind as her singing and blues playing is great). I've almost filled the SanDisc right up with stuff so I'm a bit surprised that she gets selected so often.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Sony MP3 Walkman always had a thing for Iron Maiden and Gary Numan, would often think it was stuck on random play of an Artist but it wasn't... guess the Walkman just had good taste.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
seems like the best way to get a good diversion of songs is to just create 1 big folder "Music" and just throw every song in there without making any more folders for artist and/or album

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
spent last week ripping my entire cd collection to WMA 192k (over 8GB total) and putting on the well-known Sandisk Lose-Me-Quick-Drive. When i plugged it in, it just started playing alphabetically across all folders. so that's a shuffle mode without even shuffling. don't know if anyone knows, but it might have done that because i ripped to my HDD first and then copied the lot in 1 go.
it is very easy to choose a specific album or artist though so no real worries.

Edited by: ob1kxb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.