GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to remove the Prius tyres on delivery of my GT86, but I have a question:

they come with 87W loading (sidewall stiffness rating) but as these Michelins are very stiff rubber anyway, I am tempted to go to a 91W instead as I am moving to the brilliant softer Contisport Contact 5's.

Or should I stick with the same rating?

Anybody got an informed view on this?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll be looking for a stiffer tyre on an 18"; 215/40R18 or similar to match external dimensions

RFT likely to be the most stiff

Stock tyres aren't bad but a bit tall for spirited cornering.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, though again, that cound give a rather rough road ride...I hope your fillings are good & strong !

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Primacy's are fine for tail - out fun in the summer, but they are not my cup of tea TBH.Come winter, I think they are going to make me undertaker - fodder!

I live out in the stix and want grip!

I have experience of the Contis and they are awesome in the wet...

... They will also get rid of a lot of the road / cabin noise the GT86 suffers from.

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I would expect a low resistance tyre like what's fitted on the GT86 to be fairly low noise!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gt_sjo said:
I would expect a low resistance tyre like what's fitted on the GT86 to be fairly low noise!
But they are a quite a hard compound = less grip & high noise levels.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just had a look at my tyres

The outside most treadband, which looked a bit melted yesterday, is now all cracked.

Worth a few pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, track days will age & kill those Michelins in double - quick time !

Looking forward to the pics...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.