Which is better??

• TURBO

• SUPERCHARGER

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like everyone's opinion on what you prefer and which one you all think is better, I know it is a difficult one, hence this is why I have to put it up, as I am not sure which one I should go for.
Help needed

·
Registered
420 Posts
What are you using it for, road or track?

Supercharger is more sympathetic on the internals, and gives a bigger capacity feel if its non a centrifugal ie HKS. Turbo feels faster as you get the exponential torque shove, where the supercharger is more linear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just road mainly. I would like to go on the track, never been on one with my own car yet.🤔😊

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Run a search, this has been covered many many times. To be honest neither are better than each other just different. It is literally down to personal preference, there are no hard and fast facts to suggest one is better than the other.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Run a search, this has been covered many many times. To be honest neither are better than each other just different. It is literally down to personal preference, there are no hard and fast facts to suggest one is better than the other.
Couldn't have put it better myself :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't say either is better but down to driver's taste. If I were to put one on my 86 I'd have a supercharger.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had various turbos on my Impreza over a period of 13 years, all bigger and more laggy; so wanted a change for the GT, so went with supercharger. Love that word and always wanted a car with one, being a big fan of the mystique surrounding Blower Bentleys, which my Dad used to watch at Brooklands. So some history there.

I went with Cosworth because of the history (again) and the engineering prowess of that company. It is like I have achieved a life ambition.

Reactions: Bobocop and MR2

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not going to pretend I'm anything like an expert (almost my entire experience of forced induction is with Turbodiesels) but it seems to me that a non centrifugal supercharger is much more in line with the original design 'ethos' or the "spirit" of the GT86 than a Turbocharger. After all, designing the car as NA was a deliberate decision to make the car more easily controllable on the throttle, so the form of FI that can best maintain that would be the way to go for me.

Will always remember an MR2 forum member who admitted that fitting a Turbo to his MK3 made the car LESS fun on twisty back roads (as use of the throttle required rather more care than when the car was NA).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not going to pretend I'm anything like an expert (almost my entire experience of forced induction is with Turbodiesels) but it seems to me that a non centrifugal supercharger is much more in line with the original design 'ethos' or the "spirit" of the GT86 than a Turbocharger. After all, designing the car as NA was a deliberate decision to make the car more easily controllable on the throttle, so the form of FI that can best maintain that would be the way to go for me.

Will always remember an MR2 forum member who admitted that fitting a Turbo to his MK3 made the car LESS fun on twisty back roads (as use of the throttle required rather more care than when the car was NA).
This is exactly my mindset; if you're going to add power, add it so that it's the same car but just "more" of it. I always preferred the linear feel of superchargers over turbos in racing sims as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a turbo fitted to my 86 (2018) and I couldn't be happier. It was fitted by Fensport who done a "BRILLIANT" job. I, too, was initially going to go the Cosworth Supercharger route but having been told by others that Cosworth were no longer supporting this product and that was early 2018 so it immediately put a stop to my thoughts down that road, it's also not listed on their website, type in Toyota GT86 or Subaru BRZ in the boxed search area on their website (www.cosworth.com) ... and see what comes back "sorry, we did not find any results for your search (please try this for yourselves). The Cosworth product also needs constant monitoring of the superchargers water tank (top up every 1000 miles, so I'm told) and I don't like the long drive belt (but hey ... this is all just me & my own findings and advice given at the time). On the plus side you don't have to replace the clutch fitting a supercharger but I hated the feel of the lifeless & unpredictable standard unit anyway. Ultimately my aim was that of a fast road car and to be able to use the car daily for work and on long distance journeys abroad, holidays etc and have a car that really matched the handling capabilities the GT86. I have also extensively sound proofed the car, which has made a huge difference on long runs especially with the right after market exhaust system fitted which doesn't create "the dreaded constant drone" like some systems. Again ... it's your car and as some of the other peoples comments above suggest what's your main prerogatives. Write down all the things you want from the car and then score each item (say out of 5) and add the results up, do this to for both a turbo system and a supercharged system and that should help you ... also cost each system out fully, I had Fensport give me a full quote of all parts and labour (I can't praise them enough) it might help. On another note for the people who think the car doesn't need either type of forced air engine mods, just try a modified 86 and then give your opinion. I hated having no overtaking performance when my 86 was standard (it was dangerous), I also hated having to rev the engine to the upper limits to get anywhere ... again this is my opinion, which is rightfully subjective amongst all owners, good luck and regards.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hi Stingray. Just to amplify a couple of points for anyone reading this. Matt Feasey is the Senior Engineer responsible for the Cosworth product on our cars, and he is on the end of an email in case of any issues. Cosworth have a reputation to protect, and therefore there is still product support available from Matt. For example, map adjustment, or questions over which belt to use. You are correct though - it is long, but I have no problems 4 years down the road. You are correct that the water tank needs monitoring, and there is a handy reservoir for that purpose. I check mine each time I check my oil, so not really a painful process.

As you rightly say, there are advantages to each system and both will immensely amplify the abilities of our cars.

Reactions: Kaviar

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I, too, was initially going to go the Cosworth Supercharger route but having found out that Cosworth were no longer supporting this product and that was early 2018 it immediately put a stop to my thoughts down that road. The Cosworth product also needs constant monitoring of the superchargers water tank (top up every 1000 miles, so I'm told) and I don't like the long drive belt (but hey ... that's just me). O
Careful, there is a difference between no longer selling a kit and no longer supporting it. That simply isn't true. It is still very much supported as Subota boy has mentioned. In fact Matt from Cosworth has said if there was enough interest then Cosworth would sell another batch of kits. I have to admit, not liking the fact an auxiliary belt is 10 inches longer is the most peculiar reason for not going for a supercharger, especially when other cars have longer belt runs as standard.

Although I can now officially be classed as biased as I have bought a Cosworth supercharger to fit to my car. I have my reasons why I went this route but they are all personal preference and challengeable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Careful, there is a difference between no longer selling a kit and no longer supporting it.
Overall a nice post by "Stingray" that is possibly quite insightful for the O.P.

However IMHO Stingray's case does appear a little overstated in places (and not just regarding Cosworth support).

I hated having no overtaking performance when my 86 was standard (it was dangerous)
No overtaking performance......

None.

A complete absence.

What did you learn to drive in - a Bugatti Veyron ?

Now although I've got to admit I did feel EXACTLY the same as this about my car at times, it really hasn't been an issue for me lately ( Sold my 45hp 1 litre Polo in '96).

I actually found overtaking in the Citroen 2CV6 I briefly owned later mostly ok, but that was because I probably only ever really attempted it on the Tamworth bypass (where I could safely wring out the ancient 29bhp 600cc air cooled twin in my very own overtaking lane).

So, can't really say that 'no performance' is a problem I've come across now I'm driving a circa 200hp GT86, but then I like using the wonderful manual gearbox and I live in the relatively uncongested North.

This may be a Turbo v. Supercharger thread, but I think the point is worth making for any possible wouldbe 86 / BRZ owner that may end up reading this and be put off buying one altogether because they can't afford to go down the FI route.

To which I would say:

Don't be put off by the 'No performance' naysayers (plenty more on Pistonheads) a stock power GT86 can still be a fabulous driver's car on UK roads.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
QUOTE:
To which I would say:

Don't be put off by the 'No performance' naysayers (plenty more on Pistonheads) a stock power GT86 can still be a fabulous driver's car on UK roads.

Completely agree - fab drivers car whether FI or N/A !!!

Reactions: MR2

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to say that part of what I enjoy about the 86 is the fact that in its stock form you have to fight for performance. It doesn't have a lot of "umph" to be scientific and such but it carries speed through corners like something else.

I do admit sometimes I yearn for a bit more get-up-and-go when overtaking for the same reasons listed above but I wouldn't class it as dangerous. You learn the limits (or at least the limits you're willing to go) of your car and stay within them. I only overtake when I know I've got plenty of headroom to do so safely.

Straying further off-topic, I know it's not popular but I love the way the stock engine creeps up from a quiet growl to a very aggressive, nasally bark in the cabin. There's something kind of vintage and unrefined about it which I'm currently addicted to.

·
Registered
Red 20 plate GT86. Grey 06 S2000.
19 Posts
Overall a nice post by "Stingray" that is possibly quite insightful for the O.P.

However IMHO Stingray's case does appear a little overstated in places (and not just regarding Cosworth support).

No overtaking performance......

None.

A complete absence.

What did you learn to drive in - a Bugatti Veyron ?

Now although I've got to admit I did feel EXACTLY the same as this about my car at times, it really hasn't been an issue for me lately ( Sold my 45hp 1 litre Polo in '96).

I actually found overtaking in the Citroen 2CV6 I briefly owned later mostly ok, but that was because I probably only ever really attempted it on the Tamworth bypass (where I could safely wring out the ancient 29bhp 600cc air cooled twin in my very own overtaking lane).

So, can't really say that 'no performance' is a problem I've come across now I'm driving a circa 200hp GT86, but then I like using the wonderful manual gearbox and I live in the relatively uncongested North.

This may be a Turbo v. Supercharger thread, but I think the point is worth making for any possible wouldbe 86 / BRZ owner that may end up reading this and be put off buying one altogether because they can't afford to go down the FI route.

To which I would say:

What he said.

I've come to the GT86 from a 375BHP turbo Carrera and I would still classify it as a quick car. Yes, you have to work the gears, but that's the whole point of it. In fact, once you get used to the power delivery, on twisty A roads, there isn't much quicker out there as the speed you can maintain with this car is pretty impressive by any standards.

Oh, and you can overtake in it, believe me ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my response ... I'm not here to put anyone's noise out of joint or hurt anyone's feelings toward their own vehicle come Pride & Joy, my car was also N/A when I bought it, I just wanted more from it. Perhaps the people in disagreement with my post should read a later post on this forum, which is much more damaging and abrupt towards the car compared to my own words .... Lack of power...

·
Registered
50 Posts
You think a post that includes the following:

Over 5.5k it's fine
Is "much more damaging and abrupt towards the car" than saying:

" I hated having no overtaking performance when my 86 was standard (it was dangerous). "

Well I think we will probably have to agree to disagree about that.

There's certainly no risk of you hurting my feelings, if I cared about what other people think to that extent I doubt I would have bought a GT86 in the first place (and still be happily driving it on stock power nearly 18 months later....)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts