Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven both manual and auto and have chosen the auto. I know I'm in the minority.
Why did I go for auto?

<ul>[*]My last three cars have been auto.[*]Like the idea of paddles when I want to give it a thrash and cruise in D when I don't.[*]I doa lot of commuting driving[*]Found you have to make plenty of changes with the manual which became tiresome when I drove it for 2 hours in France. [*]The speed of gear change is surprisingly good given it's not a DSG box.[*]Added bonus of lower CO2 and better MPG, not normally the case with auto's.[*]I like the easy life.
[/list]

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
i'm the opposite as i love the Manual having driven both as well

I prefer to know when i can change gear

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.998 said:
The 'with paddles' seems a little superfluous? I think you can only get the auto with paddle shifters.
Was just quoting Toyota.
Have made it less superfluous now.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I do a fair a bit of travelling/commuting now days and so far I have only test driven the Auto which would be nice for traffic and the more tiresome drives but I still went for the Manual for the more engaging drive. Paddles would be fine if I was tracking it but I found it a bit of a faf when trying to drive normally and a bit dull to leave in full auto when test driving it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Manual for me. I have never been a fan of auto/paddles although I have read the auto box on the GT86 isn't that bad.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
I have never been a fan of auto boxes, even the DSG to me takes away from the driving experience.

No matter how good the torque converter is in the GT86, at the end of the day that amazing throttle response (supposedly better than a 911) is going to be tarnished.

Having said that, we all buy this car for different reasons and if it you want to commute in it and your in a lot of traffic, the auto is gongi to make alot of sense.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are the paddles on the column or the wheel? Has to be column mount for me, otherwise I end up losing them when turning

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
They are on wheel so when you go round a roundabout good luck changing gear

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeez, 14 - 1, I am in the minority.
I didn't find the paddles being on the steering wheel an issue at all, thought it made sense tbh. Hopefully got another test drive in an Auto on Saturday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just hope that the rarity of the auto means you will have better residuals hehe. I thought you ordered already? Why test drive again?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1.998 said:
Just hope that the rarity of the auto means you will have better residuals hehe. I thought you ordered already? Why test drive again?
Yeah, I have already ordered, car"due" in three weeks. Just want to drive the car again, and again, and again.
Not driving at the dealers I ordered from, going to one a few miles away.

Hadn't thought about residuals, you could have a point.........

·
Registered
363 Posts
You wont need to worry too much about the paddles being on the wheel. At the end of the day you are better off being in the correct gear before you start going through the corner...

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
DavidGT86 said:
You wont need to worry too much about the paddles being on the wheel.  At the end of the day you are better off being in the correct gear before you start going through the corner...
Exactly. Adding or removing significant amounts of power while cornering in rear wheel drive car is not a good idea

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had another drive in an Auto today as it was monsoon weather when I drove it first time. Got to say, I find the auto brilliant, so much easier with the paddles and boy is it fast. Had a mixed drive on A1M in D and then through some B roads with paddles, I love the noise the engine makes.
Will need to get mine run in asap once I get car as I can't be doing with poodling around under 4000rpm.

The garage had a Grey Auto in the showroom which was the car I was offered for July delivery but I opted for my red one in August.Grey is very dark.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Each to their own. The gearing on the auto is a lot longer than the manual though and when cruising this would explain the better consumption figures, I suspect.

I'm just too much of a purist (I do 300 miles+ a week in an AE86!) so I'd only be interested in a manual. I have driven auto cars in the past, but I miss the control aspect and love to heel and toe properly. :)

But, I admit, I'm very serious about my driving.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got AT on order too. It's 90% commuting in West London, and the general economy and lower tax bracket + paddles were my choice factors. One thing I noticed later last week though is the listed tax brackets in the brochure @325 is just the first year level, ongoing it's 'just' 220 vs 170. Can't wait for the boat to come in now.

Edited by: ianf

·
Registered
887 Posts
I test drove both an Auto and a Manual and I have to say I found the Auto awful.I'm not a fan of Auto's but I really didn't get along with the calibration - I'd rather have the choice of doing a downshift blip rather than getting one every single time and I definitely prefer to be responsible for lumpy gear changes when they occur rather than only getting lumps on every shift........

I'm really glad I ordered a Manual, and REALLY glad to be picking it up tonight :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to hear the grey is very dark I was having second thoughts after being given a grey aureus to run about in while I wait for mine, as for transmission I went for the manual after driving both was mainly down to always having manual cars, and thought £1500 was to much to pay against what I'd save from tax and mpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts