GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Ive been having aninterestingconversation at work this afternoon about the out come of an insurance claim if the traction control is turned off or in VSC mode.

Assumingyour to blame, and they do find out traction was off, would they still pay out or would it be void.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It is more significant surely though. You are turning off a safety feature designed to help prevent accidents. But then the car is designed to allow you to turn it off so that makes it normal use?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Interesting debate...though I don't think you can deem the car unsafe just because the idiot switch is off.Its still 100% safer than most cars on the road in terms of handling & stopping!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The insurersrate the car as is considering all functionality & risks - so yes they would have to pay out unless your policy has a specific exclusion around not using VSC

·
Registered
566 Posts
That makes sense though. Its isn't like the traction control has been disabled by buggering about with it. The switch isa standard feature.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Thought it re sets when the engine is off anyway so likely it would just appear as normal if they looked as doubt computer log's the tc was turned off

Hope to never find out though....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Perhaps don't mention it though if you come off a roundabout backwards

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Traction control off is unlikely to cause an accident. I suppose it's possible with the stability control disabled, though I would say that I've been in a situation where the stability control nearly caused an accident, so perhaps it matters little either way.

I'd say they'd have little chance of proving it was off and anyway it's only going to be your premium that increases when you go backwards through a hedge.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
For someone not used to rwd having stability control is a must. Lotus Elise doesn't have anything, google how many get written off! Including a work colleague of mine. He got the rear end out over corrected and bang rear end caught the wall and its a writeoff. Only had it 12 days poor fella. Stability control prob would have straightened him up...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Remember, - as your final act before alighting your burning, smoking, wrecked vehicle to switch back on the VSC if you are able... Do not let the ambulance crews hamper you doing this...
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lauren said:
I'd say they'd have little chance of proving it was off and anyway it's only going to be your premium that increases when you go backwards through a hedge.
Pretty easy for them to prove it if the police are involved, just read the first few pages of the handbook about the ECU and it's ability to log and store parameters in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If anyone has doubts over what is and isn't covered in their insurance policy, then get it in writing from your insurance company, not opinions on forums!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
If anyone has doubts over what is and isn't covered in their insurance policy, then get it in writing from your insurance company, not opinions on forums!
You mean "gt_sjo told me on the GT86Owners club forum that its OK" wont be a good enough answer for the insurance company??????

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've been driving 200+ BHP rear wheel drive V8 TR7s for years. Live axle and no driver aids what-so-ever. Also terrible handing balance! So thinking nothing to fear from VSC sport here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.