GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the dealers bringing this to our attention this morning, you know who you are!

Toyota UK have made an announcement to dealerships across the UK regarding the CEL/VVT issue which is affecting several of our wonderful GT86's:

Toyota UK said:
During this activity we have become aware of an issue which affects 36 vehicles, less than 4% of total vehicles sold. These vehicles have experienced rough running caused by the engine ECU restricting the operation of the VVTi Controller. The root cause of the issue is the relationship of the tolerances in VVTi Controller design and the ECU software. We can assure you that this does not damage the engine because as soon as the ECU detects that a sensor signal is out of specification it will protect the engine by inducing a fail-safe condition and, at the same time, illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to inform the driver.

To affect a permanent resolution to this issue TMC have been developing an upgrade to the ECU software but this has taken time to bring to market due to the need for it to be homologated. Whilst this process has been on-going VVTi Controllers manufactured to a tighter specification have been available to fit to those vehicles experiencing the rough running condition.

We are pleased to confirm that the software homologation has now been completed and that it will be available on Thursday 25th October 2012. As this is now so close and a failure typically occurs within the first 2,000 miles we have taken the decision to hold deliveries of new cars until the software upgrade has taken place.

It appears that the root cause is the calibration (map/remap/flash/reflash), but an interim fix is/was to fit a modified VVT unit which doesn't upset the current/older ECU/calibration.

G

·
ob1kxb said:
time to alert the media, as was done with the "slightly stiff" window switch.the world must know of this MASS VEHICLE RECALL

4% is hardly a significant number either.

You didn't swallow the hype about MMR causing autism did you?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just had a call from dealership that wont be able to have the car for another day or two because of this problem. They wont allocate and reg numbers to new cars till they have been tested so looks likeill get it the end of the week now

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Whitey83 said:
Just had a call from dealership that wont be able to have the car for another day or two because of this problem. They wont allocate and reg numbers to new cars till they have been tested so looks likeill get it the end of the week now

Chris

So technically i should be allowed mine as its registered ;)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
so I'm guessing all gt86s delivered will have at least 1 on the ecu flash counter; good news for anyone with a healthy early car who wants a tune up remap.

toyota warranty police said "is that a performance remap sir?"
carfty owner said " no it is your cel remap"

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Apparently the flash counters are different for ECUtek / dealer from what I've read. The dealers can't see the ECUtek flash count and vice versa....
Jessie-James1, surely you'd rather it was sorted before than after you receive it? I know you were excited for today but a week isn't that long to wait in the knowledge it will be fully ready to go. Why miss out on a sweet car?

·
Registered
655 Posts
CPN said:
Surely they know which VIN number series(s) this affects? Why didn't they publish that so as to put non-affected owners' minds at rest?!
<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

It's related to part tolerances, so it could be any, one would presume.

The homologation bit makes sense - it's emissions-related.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Kodename47 said:
Apparently the flash counters are different for ECUtek / dealer from what I've read. The dealers can't see the ECUtek flash count and vice versa....
Jessie-James1, surely you'd rather it was sorted before than after you receive it? I know you were excited for today but a week isn't that long to wait in the knowledge it will be fully ready to go. Why miss out on a sweet car?
<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

I can empathise with Jessie's frustration; the probability is there's nothing wrong with his new car and it's a very nice car not to be driven!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your probably right. Just frustrated as I was in the dealership on Friday and everything was good to go. Arranged today off work to pick the car up and have ended up watching more GT86 videos on YouTube!!

Doesn't feel right though to have bought a new car and before I even get it on the road there is a problem.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.