GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
So I recently bought a completely stock 86 this year, and the 3 previous owners of it all did the servicing through Toyota.

I took it to Toyota for servicing the first month of getting the car, and plan on taking it to Toyota every time for servicing.

I want to do modifications to the car, but still want Toyota to service it. When I took the car for its service they asked what modifications it had to which I reply that there weren't any.

Am I correct in assuming that if I modify the car they'll still service?
Do they service the modifications I've put on? (I'm assuming not)

Thanks in advance,
~nookie

·
Registered
693 Posts
They will service it but the vast majority of dealers won't touch your modifications and don't forget its fixed priced servicing.

A good example of this are are filters. If you install a drop in aftermarket filter. Toyota aren't going to replace it with a paper OEM filter but they will still charge you for it, all be it as a "misc item". At least that's my experience :(

There are a few things to consider, what you're planning to do to the car, are your doing the work yourself, and do you care about the new extended warranty package?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will service it but the vast majority of dealers won't touch your modifications and don't forget its fixed priced servicing.

A good example of this are are filters. If you install a drop in aftermarket filter. Toyota aren't going to replace it with a paper OEM filter but they will still charge you for it, all be it as a "misc item". At least that's my experience :(

There are a few things to consider, what you're planning to do to the car, are your doing the work yourself, and do you care about the new extended warranty package?
Not wanting to do anything crazy like I've seen other people do, just enough to make it my own! Might whack a turbo in it or supercharge it, but that'll be like waaaayyyyy into the future.

I'm fine with them not touching the things I modify, as the things I modify are things I'm gunna learn to service as well :) Anything that I get a 3rd party to fit (exhaust, etc.) I'm gunna learn to service so that's fine too! I think it's more of a peace of mind thing for me, I've had a couple of bad experiences with my old car with garages saying they've done things that they quite clearly haven't done, and I decided from the get go that I just want Toyota to do all the servicing.

Being charged for things that aren't replaced is a bit of a ball-ache but no biggy! I've roped myself into a service plan so I kind of save money there anyway (I know it's cheaper to get it serviced locally but still).

Isn't the extended warranty only for 10 years? I've got a 63 plate 86 so it's only good to me for another 2 years!

·
Administrator
5,796 Posts
@nookie just look at what is done during the service, with the exception of the air filter as mention above, almost no typical modifications fall under anything that would be done at a service. How do you service an exhaust?..... 😆

A typical minor service (odd years) is just engine oil, oil filter, cabin pollen filter, air filter and then just visual checks of stuff.
A typical major service (even years) is the same as above but additionally diff oil and brake fluids.
Even the more major services are fuel filter and spark plugs are not interfered with or impacted by mods. The only time it would potentially be an issue is if the mods made accessing the components harder (such as having to remove extra hardware of a SC/TC) but no simple bolt ons do this anyway as they are simply replacing the OEM part that was there in the 1st place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts