GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly I know there is a list of phone compatability that can be found [ULR=http://www.toyota-europe.com/own/bluetooth/bluetooth_connect.tmex]here[/URL], but I wonder if anyone has managed to connect their phone for services that is not on the list?

I have a desire s and though I can connect for calls and music, I cannot get internet to work. I have tried using FoxFi app with no luck.

I am looking at getting a new phone. The Galaxy S III says it should be compatable but a quick google search reveals that on some touch and go units it doesnt work properly for making calls.

Another suggestion is the Galaxy Note II but its not on the list.

Perhaps everyone could post which phone(s) they have managed to pair and for what services? It would be good to have a tested list of phones that we know work for sure since said phone manufactures dont always work when they say they do.

For those that dont know what connected services is:

'Connected Services' is the term we (Toyota) use for features which require
connection via the Internet (see tethering) using a mobile phone.

*Edit, Im on contract with Vodafone. Please could you also mention what provider and if you are paying extra for the internet tethering. Thanks

Edited by: GT86Owner

G

·
iPhone 4 on O2; works for everything except SMS texts.The only thing I don't like is unable to change the default sort order for contacts, but that's a minor issue. Otherwise it works well.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I can confirm my S3 works fine for calls/contacts, but have not tried anything internet on it yet!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Galaxy s3 works finefor calls, Bluetooth music and internet. Make sure you set phone for tethering. No text messages, but iirc on Toyota compatibility site none of the phones are compatible with text sms.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a18ttc said:
Galaxy s3 works finefor calls, Bluetooth music and internet. Make sure you set phone for tethering. No text messages, but iirc on Toyota compatibility site none of the phones are compatible with text sms.
Excellent!
thanks mate.

Still not sure if I want S III or Note II

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well well well, bit of a coincidence! I also have a Desire S
and I was a bit miffed that it wouldn't hook up for anything else too but to be fair to Toyota, it's not really their fault. It's Android's and it's fixable. The clue is in the list of phones. If you look again at any Android phone, you'll notice that in the main, the only ones that are compatible for the last two columns (SMS and Internet pass through) are those that have received (or were sold with) the ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) update to v4.0.x.

This is now available for the Desire S from HTC but contrary to them originally saying that it would be via FOTA (firmware over the air) they have now decided to only make it available via the HTCDev.com site. I've updated mine and in now works fully for everything including internet pass through and SMS...

Colin

·
Registered
787 Posts
a18ttc said:
If a phone has Android V4.0.x and above, SMS will work with the NAV unit... (also, it is V4.0 and up that adds internet tethering via bluetooth to the phone's facilities...)

·
Registered
787 Posts
a18ttc said:
Have android 4.0.4. Failed to sent sms, will need to have another play to see where I'm going wrong.
You need to go into "Settings" then touch the word "Bluetooth" on the left (not the on/off at the right) then hit the menu key (bottom) and choose "Advanced". Make sure that both checkboxes are ticked (FTP Server & Message access)

"Tethering & portable hotspot" is under "More..." on the first settings screen. Touching this takes you to the next where you will find a tickbox for "Bluetooth tethering". Once these are on, any v4.0.4 phone will work fully with the Toyota Touch&Go (but of course you need to check whether your phone provider allows tethering...)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've got the first Galaxy Note but no Nav but phone calls and music streaming with controls are fine, however, I have yet to figure out how I can get the Voice Command to work via the phone, some reason when you enter the app, it just stays on "Please Wait", which means I've had to setup the speed dials on the head unit to make calls quickly which isn't great as you've still got to look down and see which name to press.
Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
116 Posts
CPN, thanks for the advice on Android 4.0.4 - have now got my Xperia Ray internet tethering for the Nav unit. And it's just plain nicer than the old version of the OS. However, I don't get an "Advanced" option on the Bluetooth menu, so can't get SMS access.

Any ideas?

Liam

·
Registered
787 Posts
LiamH66 said:
CPN, thanks for the advice on Android 4.0.4 - have now got my Xperia Ray internet tethering for the Nav unit. And it's just plain nicer than the old version of the OS. However, I don't get an "Advanced" option on the Bluetooth menu, so can't get SMS access.

Any ideas?

Liam
Hi Liam, I'm not familiar with the Xperia hardware but I'm guessing there is either a hard "menu" of soft "menu" button somewhere on the front (bottom of screen - 2nd in from the left?) of it which, if in the main bluetooth settings screen and you touch it, should end up looking something like this?

Touching "Advanced" should give you this screen...

Having made sure "Message Access" is ticked, then touch Message Access Settings and you should see this...

Make sure both of these are ticked and then you will need to delete the pairing you have already created on both the Touch&Go and the Xperia and re-pair again for the Touch&Go to "find" the new SMS features...

Colin

PS. Sorry for the huge image sizes! Forgot to re-size them...

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just realised that I may have left a (maybe important) step out. On this screen (Quick Settings)...

Touch the "cog" icon at the end of "Additional settings" to get to those other screens...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get all the options except advanced - a weird one, might be a device specific problem...
sorry, feature...

Liam

·
Registered
116 Posts
Different looking menus on the Xperia version - not sure it will be able to share sms without rooting and a bit more development. I'll see if anyone has done anything with it when I get a chance.

Thanks for the advice anyway - have learnt a lot from this thread and the path it sent me down!

Liam

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've got the Galaxy Note with 4.0.4 and no advanced option for me neither, nor quick settings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.