GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set TMC to Auto and reroute to manual. A few times hit some really slow traffic and no alerts showed. My TomTom would have definitely shown the delay and offered a reroute. Not sure if its the system of I'm doing anything wrong. Anyone else had this issue?

G

·
I'd have to check how mine's set up, but it definitely works.In the first week or two I was using the nav pretty much everywhere, just to get used to it. On severaloccasionsthe dashboard chick piped up to say there was trouble ahead and was re-routing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks lordgrover the TMC radio station has auto or manual options but manual is blacked out so it's on auto. The TomTom hd was really quick. May use it for those really important journeys.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
TomTom live traffic has better data,

I've learnt not to disagree with it,

if it suggests a reroute do it, when I've chosen to stick with my planned route I have nearly always regretted it.

[TUBE]JnBoCq6vPwA[/TUBE]

Another reason I stuck with it rather than shelling out £750

Just need my Brodit to arrive

Alec

Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
787 Posts
There is a very good reason why the Live Traffic Data on a TomTom Live device will be very much better than the Toyota Touch & Go NAV.

The T&G NAV unit uses TMC (Traffic Message Channel) which is a sub-carrier which carries traffic information on a standard FM-RDS Radio. In the UK, this is a sub frequency of Classic FM. Obviously, the NAV unit relies on good reception of said station and the further north you go in the UK, that does get a bit, shall we say, less than 100% reliable. You know those things at the side of the main trunk roads & motorways that are usually blue and look like some sort of proximity detector on a pole with two antennae poking out of the top? Those are the detectors that feed back traffic flow information to the TMC central system.

The TomTom device has a built-in "mobile phone" and SIM which is online all the time (it's a Vodafone data connection) andif you have a current Live subscription,receiving up to the minute traffic data in a way that TomTom haven't made public. I say"mobile phone" because it's really more like a GSM Data Modem than a full blown phone. I believe (but am not exactly sure) that because all Live devices are connected in realtime, the way that TomTom gathers traffic data is a two way affair. That means that as well as your PND receiving instructions about traffic flow and obstructions coming up, it is also transmitting information back about the traffic situation that you are actually in yourself. This latter function happens whether you are subscribed or not (I believe) so even if you haven't paid for the services, your unit is being used as a "mule" to help the system overall. Please bear in mind that I could be completely wrong about non-subscribed devices but if you check out a unit who's sub has expired, you'll see that the mobile connection is still established on switch on.

This is primarily why the TomTom system is more accurate because it is getting a constant stream of accurate traffic data from every subscribed & non-subscribed Live unit out theretravellingaround the UK roads in terms of speed & flow.

The TMC system has to rely only on those pole mounted units at fixed intervals alongside the roads scanning passing cars and is not only slower but less accurate in terms of actual position of a given potential obstruction. You can actually buy a TMC unit for some of the TomTom devices, if you want, in the form of a bracket with the required TMC unit built in and a short antenna which lays on the inside of the front windscreen. I have one for my 940 Go which I tried out as an alternative when I couldn't afford the Live subscription. It quickly became apparent how inferior the TMC system is to Live Services and I ended up buying a subscription again eventually.

Bottom line is that unless some major investment happens with the TMC system (check it out on Wikipedia for more info) and because the T&G NAV unit relies on it, the Toyota System will never be as good as the Live Services offered by TomTom.

Colin

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
81 Posts
What about if we have our phone paired with the T&G to provide tethered data connection? Would it be able to pull traffic info over this link?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
all i can say about TMC is that you really have to select the correct radio station. i've had the evo's set to Klara (mind you, this is Belgium so will mean absolutely nothing to you UK people) and didn't get ANY info on traffic for well over a year. i even tried repeatedly to select another station but didn't get any other options.then i found a car dealer that wanted to take the evo off my hands (surprisingly hard to find one), and you guessed it. as i was preparing the evo to hand it over, tried to set TMC to another station and this time it found one. all of a sudden the TMC-map lit up with traffic info...

so i've been dumped into traffic jams just by selecting the wrong radio station. at least i know which station i need now...

G

·
CPN said:
There is a very good reason why the Live Traffic Data on a TomTom Live device will be very much better than the Toyota Touch & Go NAV.

The T&G NAV unit uses TMC (Traffic Message Channel) which is a sub-carrier which carries traffic information on a standard FM-RDS Radio. In the UK, this is a sub frequency of Classic FM. Obviously, the NAV unit relies on good reception of said station and the further north you go in the UK, that does get a bit, shall we say, less than 100% reliable. You know those things at the side of the main trunk roads & motorways that are usually blue and look like some sort of proximity detector on a pole with two antennae poking out of the top? Those are the detectors that feed back traffic flow information to the TMC central system.

The TomTom device has a built-in "mobile phone" and SIM which is online all the time (it's a Vodafone data connection) andif you have a current Live subscription,receiving up to the minute traffic data in a way that TomTom haven't made public. I say"mobile phone" because it's really more like a GSM Data Modem than a full blown phone. I believe (but am not exactly sure) that because all Live devices are connected in realtime, the way that TomTom gathers traffic data is a two way affair. That means that as well as your PND receiving instructions about traffic flow and obstructions coming up, it is also transmitting information back about the traffic situation that you are actually in yourself. This latter function happens whether you are subscribed or not (I believe) so even if you haven't paid for the services, your unit is being used as a "mule" to help the system overall. Please bear in mind that I could be completely wrong about non-subscribed devices but if you check out a unit who's sub has expired, you'll see that the mobile connection is still established on switch on.

This is primarily why the TomTom system is more accurate because it is getting a constant stream of accurate traffic data from every subscribed & non-subscribed Live unit out theretravellingaround the UK roads in terms of speed & flow.

The TMC system has to rely only on those pole mounted units at fixed intervals alongside the roads scanning passing cars and is not only slower but less accurate in terms of actual position of a given potential obstruction. You can actually buy a TMC unit for some of the TomTom devices, if you want, in the form of a bracket with the required TMC unit built in and a short antenna which lays on the inside of the front windscreen. I have one for my 940 Go which I tried out as an alternative when I couldn't afford the Live subscription. It quickly became apparent how inferior the TMC system is to Live Services and I ended up buying a subscription again eventually.

Bottom line is that unless some major investment happens with the TMC system (check it out on Wikipedia for more info) and because the T&G NAV unit relies on it, the Toyota System will never be as good as the Live Services offered by TomTom.

Colin
Thanks for that; enlightening.

FWIW I've found the T&G traffic warnings useful and accurate.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I have both but selling Tom Tom as fed up taking in and out of car or hiding it when parked
At the end of the day T&G is easier to live with but agree Tom Tom will always be more accurate as updated frequently

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.