GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just come off the phone (and a website live chat) with Toyota UK Customer Relations because I was concerned about how hopelessly out of date the NAV Maps that came with my car are. The Live Chat guy told me that I wasn't the first to ask about this and that I was the fifth customer he had dealt with in relations to the maps. I then got on the phone (at his direction) to Customer Relations and the lady on there told me that the maps in my car were actually March 2011 vintage!!!

We then had a conversation about how hopeless the company they are using (Navteq) are and that they should be using TomTom & Google's mapping source TeleAtlas who are much more pro-active at keeping their maps up to date!

Anyway, bottom line is that she raised a case number for me with my local dealer and will go about the business of making sure that I get the latest maps updated free of charge. The Toyota UK CR number is 01737 367600 and if you have the NAV unit (and a new GT86 of course), I would strongly recommend getting on the blower asap (0900-1730hrs) to them so that you too can take advantage of this service asap!

Colin

G

·
Can anyone confirm update includes speed cameras?I'm not too worried about 'maps' as such, but speed limits have changed a lot in this over in the last 12 months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was told that the speed camera locations were updated, though I can't confirm this - not a lot has changed in my area in the last 12 months. The French cameras have also been removed from the system due to the change in their legislation, though again, can't confirm.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a good laugh...

Went to my dealer (Arnold Clark, Stirling) earlier for them to check on the light clustercondensation (I mentioned in another thread) but also to check that Toyota UK had been in touch with my ticket number to get the maps updated. The nice lass in servicing came out with an apologetic look on her face to tell me that yes, they had it in hand but that she was currently downloading the update to her laptop and that it was predicting it would take 4hrs to download!

Either they have a crap broadband connection or Toyota UK's upload connection is slower than its download! (more likely but really out to be a synchronous business connection...) Anyway, I told her not to sweat it and just give me a call when it was done... Now here's the laugh, I left it a suitable amount of time (no call from her) and gave her a ring just now. They obviously don't do this sort of thing very often at my dealer! A very nice apologetic voice came on and said "I'm really sorry but we don't have a big enough USB stick to do the transfer with so I'll have to order one through Admin and call you when it comes in..."
I did suggest that she could pop across the road to Aldi's and pick up an 8Gb one for a fiver but apparently, she has to do it officially...

Yeegawds, these dealers seem to be so technologically backward at times!

Colin

P.S. I did have it confirmed that ALL the GT86's sold in the UK this year so far had March 2011 maps on their NAV units (where specified) so you should definitely make an effort to get the update as that makes them 19 months out of date!!

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone tried getting their maps updated FOC recently?

Might give the number or call or at least ask when I go for my service soon.

I use Google Maps on my phone mounted in the window primarily for directions as it does live traffic updates, but would like the speed cameras updated on the built in system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use TomTom on my Galaxy S5, £35 for the app and lifetime updates which come every 3 months or so. I've found that the S5 fits neatly over the screen of the T&G when using a gel cover, and stays fixed. So I don't bother with the T&G anymore, it links to the Bluetooth for music and has up to date sat nav maps.

·
Registered
897 Posts
RobinHood said:
Anyone tried getting their maps updated FOC recently?

Might give the number or call or at least ask when I go for my service soon.

I use Google Maps on my phone mounted in the window primarily for directions as it does live traffic updates, but would like the speed cameras updated on the built in system.
I'm in the middle of this now: http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic2826_post135317.html#135317

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.