2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is available on Subaru website

ScoobieWeb

Alec

·
Registered
363 Posts
An interesting read. Their verdict seems to differ from others. A few have been critical of the BRZ's stiffer springing having a negative effect on the handling in comparison to the GT86.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good point. I went for the Toyota because I am more interested in their heritage as opposed to Subaru's. That and the look/presentation of the GT86.I guess it will all come out in the wash once there have been a few comparison tests in the UK.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Funnily enough, we wanted the Subaru because of their heritage, and the fact that we have owned a variety continuously since the year 2000, and still have one.

We took the GT86 for a test drive to our local Subaru dealership, where we have a good relationship, and they let us drive the two back to back over the same roads. We wanted to prefer the Subaru, but the style at the front end got a nod in Toyota's favour to start with. Then the test drive found the GT86 to seem more compliant and "relaxing", especially driven hard on roundabouts. On the Subaru interior side, I hated where they fitted the red "alarm set" light, as if stuck on like an afterthought.

The BRZ fender garnishes are much better, IMHO, than the Toyota item, so we have changed those. Otherwise it's been a nod to the Toyota.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I did the back to back test too and came to exactly the same conclusion as you.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Cinderella vs the princess; you makes ya choice

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
To be honest when it comes to looks, it's more like Katherine Jenkins (GT86) Vs Cathy Bates (BRZ) ...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
[does Internet search on who the
is Katherine jenkins]

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Some cheap tart then

·
Registered
29 Posts
Test drove both
GT86 just seemed more complete. Things like the sat nav wasn't flush fitted.

Plus the Toyota was really cheap for contract hire

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You guys are on a trajectory to Prius ownership

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
The BRZ dash looks like my cat's first attempt at airfix kits...
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Subarman said:
Funnily enough, we wanted the Subaru because of their heritage...
do they have a FR heritage? i thought they had never built a front-engined, rear wheel drive car

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Senna said:
The BRZ dash looks like my cat's first attempt at airfix kits...
tart

·
Registered
159 Posts
ob1kxb said:
Subarman said:
Funnily enough, we wanted the Subaru because of their heritage...
do they have a FR heritage? i thought they had never built a front-engined, rear wheel drive car
It wasn't their RWD heritage we were referring to.

It was other aspects of Subaru ownership that drew us to that badge as a first choice for a new product. Particularly the flat four used in the GT. As we see it, the combination of what Toyota does well (we are impressed with our Toyota IQ ) with what Subaru does well should make for a cracking product. I am not a fan of recent Subaru product design, so was pleased that that aspect was Toyota-led, and prefer the front-end of the GT to the BRZ. Having said that, if both versions had had the BRZ front end, I would still have bought one, because I do like it, but not quite as much as the Darth Vader helmet.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
"You cannot avoid your destiny..."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts