GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..."I'm In Love With My Car"

Collected my orange GT86 on Thursday 20th September after work, annoyingly it was raining but I couldn't help smiling when I saw my 'Beast' parked at the dealers ready to be driven away.

Spent almost all of Saturday (the only dry day since getting the car) washing and waxing it and here's a couple of photos of it looking nice and shiny after a good coat of Auto Glym HD Wax.

Not had time to keep up with the Forum recently but have just about caught up now (how many hundred posts..?
) and hope to keep up with things again.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Given the dull weather, - looking nice & shiny !

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Senna said:
Praise indeed from the Jedi Master, thank you very much.

I wasn't quite expecting it to take around 5 hours but then this is the first time I've waxed a car and I did do every nook and crannie I could get to. Have only ever used super resin polish in the past, but then they weren't brand new cars.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lordgrover said:
Angel C said:
Martin F said:
Looking very <strike>ginger </strike>shiny !
Ooh, that was a close one. UZI on stand-by...

UZI? Pfft!

Watch out for my BFG!
Okay, retreating to sniper distance...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Angel C said:
Senna said:
Praise indeed from the Jedi Master, thank you very much.

I wasn't quite expecting it to take around 5 hours but then this is the first time I've waxed a car and I did do every nook and crannie I could get to. Have only ever used super resin polish in the past, but then they weren't brand new cars.

I have to be honest, I like the Orange best on a duller day, but that clear top coat is superior on the metallic colours. So rich.

Well done.

I have been at it again (!) I have used a quick coat of AG Deep Shine polish on top of my sealed paint.

Although this is the back, (taken to show new plate) here is the richer-looking finish it gives:

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Wouldn't applying a polish to your sealed paint effectively remove the sealant?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I will take a lot more than that to remove the Nano-Seal Body Wrap I applied.

You can tell, the AG Deep shine goes on and wipes off much easier.

It sits on top like a second protective layer

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Senna said:
I will take a lot more than that to remove the Nano-Seal Body Wrap I applied.

You can tell, the AG Deep shine goes on and wipes off much easier.

It sits on top like a second protective layer
Would you recommend AG Deep Shine on top of HD Wax or only on top of SR Polish..?

Edited by: Angel C

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Angel C said:
Would you recommend AG Deep Shine on top of HD Wax or only on top of SR Polish..?
Definitly do not put anything ontop of HD wax.

You can use resin polish followed by extra gloss followed by HD wax (its what I plan to do
) but you shouldnt put anytihng on top of the wax.

You made a good choice with wax, gives a lovely warm glossy look. THe Supagard I ahve I feel it a bit glassy for red IMO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GT86Owner said:
Angel C said:
Definitly do not put anything ontop of HD wax.

You can use resin polish followed by extra gloss followed by HD wax (its what I plan to do
) but you shouldnt put anytihng on top of the wax.

You made a good choice with wax, gives a lovely warm glossy look. THe Supagard I ahve I feel it a bit glassy for red IMO.
Thanks for that, I was originally tempted to go for the Supaguard but felt that £399 was too much and after reading tips and advice on here about detailing the cars ourselves (Thanks to all of you) I opted for a bit of DIY and £399 buys a lot of car cleaning products...

Pleased with the result and finish, was thinking that'll hopefully see me through the winter and I can do the same as you in the spring: Super Resin Polish, Extra Gloss then finish with HD Wax again to see it through the summer.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Definitly do not put anything ontop of HD wax

"Yes, Yes, - to GT86 you must listen !"

"Remember, my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is"... but you may have used other products.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looking good Angel C, will be good to have a meet up and see it in the flesh. How was the HD wax, that's one I haven't tried, I've done mine with Dodo juice orange crush and then a couple of coats of Megs Tech wax 2, which seems to have given it a nice shine.
Won't need anymore coats of wax for a few washes now. Tried to buile up a good layer so have put another coat on with each wash so far. In fact there has been more waxes than washes!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damian1985 said:
Looking good Angel C, will be good to have a meet up and see it in the flesh.
Yes, I'll PM you and we'll sort something out for next week if possible.

Damian1985 said:
How was the HD wax, that's one I haven't tried, I've done mine with Dodo juice orange crush and then a couple of coats of Megs Tech wax 2, which seems to have given it a nice shine.
Won't need anymore coats of wax for a few washes now. Tried to buile up a good layer so have put another coat on with each wash so far. In fact there has been more waxes than washes!!
The HD Wax wasn't the easiest of things I've used... Keeping the sponge damp (as opposed to wet / dry) and spreading the wax consistently was sometimes difficult to judge and getting into the smaller crevices with those pads was awkward without getting wax on bits I didn't want it on. However, the results are the proof of the pudding and the car looks great, the beading of the water is a joy to watch - Like watching ball bearings roll off metal sheets.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a nice trip over to Norfolk yesterday and managed to get a nice pic of the car in some rare sunshine..!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going to be taking it to work for the first time tomorrow, lots of people have been asking when I'll be driving it to the office but I've been off work since getting it apart from a couple of days when I had to use the old Fester (some of the places I go have things that could hardly be called roads..!).

Will be interesting to see what comments I get. Have been out to give it a wash and tidy up this evening ready for it's big day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.