GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering a GT86 purchase, as my work car, next year and took one for a test drive today @ Snows in Southampton (1st impressions of this dealership were very good).

Overall I was really impressed - handling, great looking, good standard levels of spec,fantasticengine tone (especially on the downshift over-run!)

however................... I did come away feeling it was a little under-powered.

I get thereasoningbehind the car lowweight, superb handling, perfectly balanced chassis but I just cant help but feel she was about 20 - 30 bhp down on my expectation. Thoughts?

Perhaps I will need to modify my driving style as I probably didn't keep the revs up above 4.5k (I drive turbo petrol cars). I can report getting the back out on a couple of roundabouts

Bottom line is it is a hell of a lot of car for £25k, not much £ per smile!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
And it works as a work car. Decent MPG and practicality plus sports car experience and fun. So long as you don't need too much from the rear seats. And the real fun is up at 6k plus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
malcolmgt86 said:
And it works as a work car. Decent MPG and practicality plus sports car experience and fun. So long as you don't need too much from the rear seats. And the real fun is up at 6k plus

That sounds spot on. I have my weekend toy so really want something that I will enjoy driving to work. Unless i'm really pushed for time I will often plan a A or B road route for the next day so the 86 seems to tick the boxes. 6k..........i'll remember that next time! Thanks for the info.

Edited by: Jonotaff

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If i'm not wrong you are actually sold mate! Who cares about straight line speed. You said it, Smiles per £. Get one. Now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBucket said:
If i'm not wrong you are actually sold mate! Who cares about straight line speed. You said it, Smiles per £. Get one. Now.

Think you're probably right!!

Need to do the maths on my current work car i.e. when PX value = approx what I owe and then its a no brainer tbh.

I want to do it now but it makes sense to wait to March 2013 when 18 months is up on my current work car (minimise the gap)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
Ecutek remap

Have seen the Linchfield upgrade pack - looks good.

What gains does a remap give on a NA car with no induction/exhaust modifications?

I have a heavily modified JCW MINI (Basically a MINI challenge car for the road) for weekend fun - its completely barking mad

Edited by: Jonotaff

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm going to sound boring now zzzzzzzzz. But me and LFA are coming at this from different anges. GT86 is my daily driver. Lot of fun as standard it is too! But I'm unlikely to start modding for insurance and daily reliability reasons. I've had weekenders and track cars (the Mini sounds good) but that's not how it is with this one....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
malcolmgt86 said:
I'm going to sound boring now zzzzzzzzz. But me and LFA are coming at this from different anges. GT86 is my daily driver. Lot of fun as standard it is too! But I'm unlikely to start modding for insurance and daily reliability reasons. I've had weekenders and track cars (the Mini sounds good) but that's not how it is with this one....

Know where you are coming from. The weekend toy is for heavy modding, the GT86 wouldn't be (certainly not in the short to medium term).

However having said that a good tune will actually improve the car in terms of efficiency as well as performance - so we'll see.

I am fairly sure once i get used to the different driving style it will be spot on.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
malcolmgt86 said:
I fully agree with this, as I chopped in my very nice Accord for the GT86. If you don' t need 4 seats or a big boot for work then it can make daily drives that bit more interesting. Also the road noise is not bad at all for a sports car so makes longer journeys on motorways just as pleasureable. I too have other toys for the weekend and modifying (see sig.) so the GT86 will only ever get minimal mods.

I don't think you'd regret getting a GT as a daily car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Martin F said:
malcolmgt86 said:
I fully agree with this, as I chopped in my very nice Accord for the GT86. If you don' t need 4 seats or a big boot for work then it can make daily drives that bit more interesting. Also the road noise is not bad at all for a sports car so makes longer journeys on motorways just as pleasureable. I too have other toys for the weekend and modifying (see sig.) so the GT86 will only ever get minimal mods.

I don't think you'd regret getting a GT as a daily car.

Thanks, these are exactly the answers I was looking for when I asked the question.

No problems with the rear seats or boot as its just me, a laptop, some shirts and an overnight grip.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Jonotaff said:
a18ttc said:
Test drive 7/10. Ownership, daily drive and speed racer 10/10.

That's a great summary!!

Next question is what colour...............!!!?

White with black Alcantera interior is the lead contender atm

I've got a grey and never tire of how magnificent, lythe and stealthy it looks. That would be my recommendation BUT if you get one of the following youre on to a winner: Grey, Blue, Ginger, White. In my very honest opinion. Quickly followed by Black. And then Red. And Silver. In that order

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Here's all the lighter colours, Musketeers (the orange one) is a bit muddy, but gives you an idea

Alec

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.