GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I like many of you went for a test drive and totally fell in love with the gt86. Ordered it immediately after the test drive and 10 days later I got the news it's ready for collectin tomorrow! I've been dreaming about this car ever since and I've been lucky enough to own a few exotica. I think my Jag XKR is going to give me a sad look on Saturday when her new owner turns up... "Why are you leaving me for that.... tart??!"

"She's younger and more exciting my dear, much as I love you" will be my response...

Got the car in black, with stripes and carbon mirrors.

Straight off from the dealers to my tint man to get the windows done... Hoping it won't be overkill

Very happy to be part of your club!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Welcome, Congrats, Best of luck for the pick and ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Welcome to the club. Good job on the GAP insurance - my dealer wouldn't even go down to 200!

What xkr do you have?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the XKR, it's a 57 plate, so few years old - but still a beauty. Believe it or not, it's only worth a few grand more than the gt86, but I find with these types of cars (had a Gallardo and Ferrari 360 too), they are not only really expensive to run, but you're forever scared of damaging something, or being damaged by something.

I'm genuinely more excited about picking this GT86 up in 2hrs then anything I've had for a long time and I very rarely keep any car longer than 12 months. The LSD on the first roundabout on the test drive put a huge smile on my face, and with the greatest respect to the £25k cost, it is a relatively 'cheap' car to run from tyres to insurance, fuel economy will be better than anything I've seen for years!!

I've been getting caught up in the luxury high end cars, but I'm getting off that ladder and I don't give a monkeys what my supercar driving mates think - they'll probably think my business is going down the pan lol. I'm just going to toss them the keys and that will silence them :)

To all of you that have a GT86, let me tell you there is no-one you need to be jealous of on the roads - this is a special car.... Interestingly I hear that Mazda have got a 200bhp 1.5 lightweight version of the MX5 coming out in the near(isn) future as a direct competitor for the GT86. It weighs about 100kg less and I think it's great news. These cars are relevant in this age, and good drivers cars NEED to be low weight.

Exciting times for petrol heads me thinks... Piccy of my lovely new GT86 coming tonight :)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Thanks for that. I was tossing up between a 09/10 XKR and the GT86 and ultimately went with the GT86 as the total estimated cost over 3 years was £18k less, once you factor in additional fuel and warranty costs. Got to buy a house sometime, so it was a compromise!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh, yeah I gotta pay a little more off the mortgage too!! Luckily my wife is pretty supportive as long as I keep her well stocked in handbags

Motors are my thing, anything with an engine I love. Motorbike,s off-road stuff, cars, even converted my own Ford Transit into a motorhome which was a laugh!

My clothes are pretty much unchanged from when I went to university 15 years ago though - lol!!

do anything for a bit for a bit of petrol sniffing tho

·
Registered
79 Posts
VERY nice car pt86 and your reasoning behing swapping to the GT, whilst opposite to mine, makes me far more comfortable with my choice too.
I'm coming down from higher mpg but very much appreciate your comments
because if you prefer the GT to the Jag then I DID make the right
decision.
I had also been apprehensive about spending that amount of money on a car, even though I could afford it. And, like you with the xkr I'm anxious about damage or being damaged in the GT.

So thanks for the comments and welcome aboard

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to have helped :)

They are very different cars. The Jag makes you feel great about yourself. You feel like you made it just driving it. The V8 sounds awesome and it's a great car to drive. But being an enthusiastic driver, I got through new rear tyres every 3-4 months and fronts not much longer. Costs £1,500 for a full set. A full tank of petrol got me up to 100 miles, insurance £1,000 per year etc etc.

As great as it is, long term it is hard to enjoy cars like that no matter how much money you have. Ok... probably not if you're really well off!! I'm not rich by any means, just really put all my spare money into cars and it hurts a bit!!

The GT86 on the other hand is FUN FUN FUN. Much cheaper running costs, although I'm sensing fuel will still be got through fairly quickly - what are town drivers getting out of their tanks?

I love the fact you can floor it for quite a bit of time and the low down feel really makes you feel like you're caning it, when in reality not too much. If I'd accelerated that long in the XKR I would be going extremely stupid speeds..... Posted my new car pics in the gallery, I'm trying to stop giggling like a girl, haven't been this excited since I was 10!! Just found a roundabout in MK in the wet and went round 5 times drifting the whole time until I spotted a car coming.... oh joy :)

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1123

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was great reading this thread, I have just converted from Audi RS6 to GT86, looking forward to delivery late October. Have been missing the power of the RS6 but not the expense of running it. Its great to see so many comments on how much fun the GT86 is. I was worried about not having the grunt of the 4.2L 450 bhp engine, its great to hear that power is not everything!! The roundabouts of MK will never be the same again!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL - One day we must organise a meet and assign one roundabout per person :)

The entire grid will be locked up by permanently drifting GT86's!! Love the mental image!

So are you in MK yourself? I actually enjoy being able to 'stretch' an engine here, and then you have quite a lot of great roads around the south west of MK. I've been driving them since I came to Uni (when there was one!) in MK years ago on my motorbikes.

There will no doubt be the odd time you'll miss the grunt of your RS6 when a hot hatch burns you in a straight line, but you gotta just relax and enjoy a new type of driving. The 0-60 time doesn't seem dazzling on paper, but I'm finding plenty of power once on the move.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats 3 for a MK meetup. I am in Aylesbury but went out to Steven Eagell in MK for the GT86. Its that where you guys got yours? Who was your salesman?

·
Registered
79 Posts
pt86 said:
Glad to have helped :)

...The GT86 on the other hand is FUN FUN FUN. Much cheaper running costs, although I'm sensing fuel will still be got through fairly quickly - what are town drivers getting out of their tanks?

I love the fact you can floor it for quite a bit of time and the low down feel really makes you feel like you're caning it, when in reality not too much. If I'd accelerated that long in the XKR I would be going extremely stupid speeds..... Posted my new car pics in the gallery, I'm trying to stop giggling like a girl, haven't been this excited since I was 10!! Just found a roundabout in MK in the wet and went round 5 times drifting the whole time until I spotted a car coming.... oh joy :)

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1123
My MPG is around 38 and is a mix of town and the M42/A45 between Birmingham and Coventry.

Love the roundabout tale. BRILLIANT and I need one

Edited by: FRODO

·
Registered
566 Posts
How on earth are you guys managing those sort of MPGs? I've just clocked 1000 miles and under 32 MPG. And thats only the result of the long run out to Belgium and back this week....
Edited by: malcolmgt86

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've found them pretty good too. My salesman was John Keeley. The car is back in on Saturday morning to be checked after the CEL light went on in Belgium this week. Local dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it though and is driving perfectly so not too worried.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.