GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with some ideas for ways to get more out of the FA20: my current favourites are high compression pistons with E85 or E85 and a turbocharger.

The FA20's CR is 12.5:1 stock which is on the bottom end of where E85 is any good. For a fairly normal set-up E85 can be pushed to 14-14.5:1 so there's two ways to get it there: pistons or turbos. Pistons would be cool because it keeps the engine NA like they designed it but the volumetric efficiency doesn't benefit much where as a turbo could take the dynamic compression ratio up to 14.5:1 with modest boost so you shouldn't end up with much lag anyway and there are the massive volumetric efficiency gains.

Another benefit of using E85 is that it burns cooler so you can bring the rev-limiter up without killing the engine, 8000rpm maybe more with the right cooling?

No real idea what the power gains would be but I think the NA version could get you 250bhp with some longer cams, the turbo set-up could get you far more if tuned correctly. I imagine either way you'd need to look into a much stronger gasket and double check the strength of the other components. I'm fairly sure a lot of the engine is already forged so it should take the punishment well. Just need to find somewhere that sells E85 from the pump...

If you didn't use E85 but wanted to go for a turbocharger or supercharger you're gonna have to look into dropping the compression ratio, but that seems like a really backwards thing to do on a modern engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used to be able to get it from Morrisons, I think they gave up though. It's a shame as it's a good fuel for high compression tuning, although it smells like the worst hangover ever...essentially smells like vodka and petrol (as you'd expect...).

Sunoco is one place I know you can get E85 from but it's expensive race grade stuff.

·
Registered
855 Posts
E85 is standard on just about every pump station here in sweden. Didnt know the fact that it helped cool the engine tho, nice thing to know.. hehe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts