GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generic what else are you driving thread...

Personally I'm running a Mazda RX-8 231 currently, which'll face the chop in favour of a GT86.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I currently own an IS200, a CRX and a S13.

The S13 isn't going anywhere, at least just yet as 400bhp in 1100 odd kg is lots of fun
The other two are most likely to get the chop in favour of a 86. Not too bothered about the IS200, but I am very fond of my CRX. Its my third one I've owned over the course of the last 12 years and the best, but I'm hoping the 86 can match it in terms of acceleration performance and fuel economy. Hopefully it can surpass it in the handling department too

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice set of cars there, I'm hoping to get an industrial unit at some point and fill it with a few interesting cars, cheap MX-5 is near the top of the list. I was drooling over a convertible S13 a few weeks ago, such a good looking car.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've got a 2006 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 Auto. Not quick but I love the look of it.

Only thing I'll miss is the elec sunroof which I've never had before and didn't really care for until I had it.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
What do you guys do with insurance when you've got a couple of cars? Do you have to take out individual policies or can you stick them all on the one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Separate policies for me unfortunately. As soon as you declare modifications finding a multi car policy that will accept modified vehicles is harder to find than a needle in a haystack :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Renaultsport Clio 172 and want to know how the gt86 compares, I have booked a test drive for next week and cant wait!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I will be swapping my Lexus ISF for one. I no longer need a family car as we have an X5 and i yearn for something smaller lighter like my old cars.

Dropping 217bhp might come as a bit of a shock though !

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just sold my auto2006 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 today for a lot more than part-exchange price. Now driving, and dont laugh.....1995 Suzulki Swift auto until my GT86 arrives. What a culture shock that's going to be when I drop myself intomy GT86.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Speedymurr said:

Sorry. Could't resist it. Hope you get out of the Susuki soon.
It's definitely old school motoring.

It's a family car that we had sorned in a relatives garage, it's getting me out of a hole having now sold the other car.

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
619 Posts
I own this little bad boy as my everyday car:-

2.6 Twin Turbo currently having a 2.7l stroker kit fitted.

And when i get bored of the R32 i jump into my fun car:-

BMW E36 325 currently getting a Turbo conversion so should see around 430hp when finished.

Insurance wise they are all insuredseparately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Currently trading in my nearly 3 year old Civic Type R for the GT86 which I am told is due at the end of Julyprior to that had another Type R, before that 4 Hyundai coupes till they stopped making them

going to be a bit different than the R but can't wait from all the write ups don't think its going to disappoint

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Currently got a 54 Celica T-Sport owned from new for the last 8 years, love it to bits but time for a change

Alec

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I currently have Renault Clio RS 200 and I absolutely love the car!!!

I could have easily kept it and I was seriously umming and arring about ordering the GT-86, it's a lot of money for not necessary an upgrade (pretty much the same performance values), but I see it more of a side step or taking a different path as I've never driven a RWD car before and it looks so much nicer than the Clio (plus I've always wanted to drift
), I just hope that the GT-86 will handle as nice as my Clio.

I test drove a Megane RS 250 and even though it was quick, it didn't really feel that quick (mental feeling of speed in toned down in a bigger car) and the steering felt a bit numb, so I knew that the Megane wouldn't be as fun to drive (also stated by other Renault guys who own or have driven both that the Clio is more fun, rewarding and challenging to drive, Megane is just fast and with ease), plus they didn't do a very good job of making the RHD version as the hand brake is on the wrong side and there wasn't much space around the pedals (kept on kicking the lower dash area when switching pedals).

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
The GT86 is much lower to the ground. Classic sports car experience. As good as the Clio is, my opinion is that the GT86 will be much better and handle better. The GT 86 generates 0.99g on the skid pan (a way of comparing lateral grip) which is more than a bmw M3

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've owned a RS Clio and then RS Megan 250. I found the RS250 to be a very different car. Far more refined while fast, and easy to drive either fast or slow. I didn't think there was an issue with steering response. While the handbrake 'looks' too far away, it's perception only, as once you owned the car you found it was just there and you never had to reach. It is also very much a fun drive eg coming out of tight corners faster than you went in and knowing you were in total control. A car that set the record for the fastest lap ever at the Nurburg Ring in a FWD car can't be a uninteresting fast cruiser only. In fact it was damn close to the Porsche 911 GT3 time! It has to be good on all road types.

The GT86 ISN'T a hothatch so can't really be compared with other models like the RenaultSport range, Fords or Volkswagens. It is NOT a conversion from a bog standard road car. It is a stand alone car in its own right, not based on anything else.

Comparing performance with hothatches is folly as I don't think you fully appreciate that this is a very different beast and it's not about 0-60 figures from a traffic light.

Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
You can only compare the GT 86 to the likes if Audi TT and Porsche Boxter as proper sports cars and as I said before not a family car trying to be something else that it is not

1 - 20 of 26 Posts