GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you want some new wheels? But for what reason? Some things you should consider:

The Standard 17" Wheel weight is 9.1 kg. It is a 17x7 et48 wheel (17 being the rim diameter in inches and 7 being the width and et48 being the wheel offset). When purchasing new wheels you should attempt to make sure that your new wheels ideally are lighter, or as light as the original. There are wheels available that will be bigger in diameter and width and still manage to be lighter due to the manufacturing process used.

Weight saved from wheels are more important than the rest of the car due to them being part of the rotational mass of the vehicle. So in theory lighter than standard wheels should improve the steering feel, the handling, and the performance response as the engine has less rotational mass to work against to get up to speed.

Some Examples of this are:

Enkei RPF01 Cast 18x8 8.1kg

Enkei RPF01 Cast 18x9.5 8.3kg

Wedsport TC105N Forged 18x9.5 7.9kg

Wedsport TC105N Forged 17x9 7.1kg

Wedsport TC105N Forged 17x8 6.75kg

Advan RG-D Cast 18x10 9kg

</font><t></t><t></t><t></t><t></t><table><t><t><tr><td>Volk TE37</font>
</td>

<td>Forged</font>
</td>

<td>18x10</font>
</td>

<td>
</font></td>

<td>8.6kg</font>
</td></tr></t></t></table>
</td>

<td>Forged</font>
</td>

<td>17x9.5</font>
</td>

<td>
</font></td>

<td>7.8kg
</font>
</td>

<td>Forged</font>
</td>

<td>17x8</font>
</td>

<td>
</font></td>

<td>7.4kg
</font>
Remember not all wheels will be this light, these are high end Japanese wheels from respected manufacturers.

Example:

TSW Hockenheim Cast 18x8 11.5kg</font>

Also if upgrading to larger brakes you may want to consider a wheel that has more clearance in the spoke design to allow for a larger caliper or a lower offset wheel. The lower the offset (et) of a wheel the more it will stick out. For example a 17x7 et0 will stick out 30mm more than a 17x7 et30.

Which nicely leads me out of the sporting credentials reasons why you would buy a certain wheels and on to the other reason.......Looks

So you want to fill your arches or give your car a new look you'll need to know what fits and what doesn't. The best car I have seen to date to fill the arches would be this one sporting Work Emotion Kiwami - 18x9.5 et30 all round with 225/40 tyres on the front and 245/35 on the rear. Also take note of the Bride seats already fitted :)

I have a set of wheels in this exact size and offset already, but they are the wrong stud pattern

Bit to much poke for you? No bother, try some Advan RG-D's 18x8 et45

Or TE37SL 18x9.5 ET45

You could go bigger than these examples if you wanted but over 9.5J wide et30 offsets or similar you would either have to look into aftermarket wider over arches or arch work such as flaring. I have yet to see a car in person but what I have heard is that the arch lips are already pre rolled from factory, if this is a full roll or just tucked up at a 45 degree angle I will have to wait and see.

Hopefully everyone can now make a more informed decision when choosing aftermarket wheels for your car. Go be different and make those 86's individual just like Tada San has asked of us

Edited by: Kodename47

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pablo, brilliant post. Thanks for sharing.

I know nothing about wheels and this has taught me quite a bit already!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome thread mate.

I'll be getting a set of track wheels soon, shod with track tyres (I'm no Dorikin!!)

I always like to buy the same make and style (albeit not necessarily centre lock) as the manufacturer race teams (think BBS on GT3 Cup cars etc).

Anyone know te brand they went with at the N24?

Lucky.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Fensport's car, guessing TE37V's. Adrian commented that he will be changing the colour:

Edited by: Lauren

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have a look in the RareRims section of the forum! Ben has been trying quite a few of their different rims on the BRZ, getting some very good results!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rotas:

Rota Grids - 18x8.5 ET44 + 18x9.5 ET38 - 9.1kg front, 9.8kg rear

Rota Force 18x10 ET35 - 10.5kg

Rota Torque 17x9 ET30 - 9.3kg per wheel

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Im looking at getting a set of track day allows/tyres.

I dont care too much about how they look, just a cheap set fo wheels and tyres for some track day fun

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, get the lightest you can find. Light = Fun

If I may be so bold the Wedssport TC105N's are about as light as you'll get. They also have a price to match too.

Edited by: Pablo

·
Registered
739 Posts
I quite fancy a set of these on a Pearl White car:

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
GT86Owner said:

I dont care too much about how they look, just a cheap set fo wheels and tyres for some track day fun
Rotas are good value to be fair and they certainly look a alright too. You may have a six week wait from ordering.

G

·
GT86Owner said:

Maybe consider going the other way?
Use 'stock' wheels for winter tyres and/or TDs and get some nice lightweight bling for 'best'.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Twigman said:
I quite fancy a set of these on a Pearl White car:
Quite fancy them on Orange Car

He comes the Tango man...!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Im sure aswell if you change your alloys bigger then you have to keep the rolling radius of the wheel so you cant just throw any size tyre on, i think is can throw the speedo out abit. " i think lol "

chris

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
lordgrover said:
GT86Owner said:

Maybe consider going the other way?
Use 'stock' wheels for winter tyres and/or TDs and get some nice lightweight bling for 'best'.
Well I really like the standard wheels. For track day I'd prob look for 16" wheels. Could I get a set from eBay if I know the offset and stud pattern?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts