GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any other fellow automatic GT86 owners have also discovered it yet but daily I am finding out about new things with this box and what a clever box of tricks this gearboxreallyis!

One of the things I had been wondering (before I actually got the car) was whether the paddles were actually "live" whilst the selector was in "D". Of course as I have since found out, this is outlined in the manual actually (Pages 178 & 182) and Toyota call it "Temporary manual mode" but when I was on my test drive, I completely forgot to check it out!

Today, I got a chance to give it a bit more of a workout and I must say I am well impressed. It's as if it is "clever enough" to realise the driver's intent all the time without being "overbearing" and forcing it back to auto too soon... Almost a sort of "halfway house" between total manual and full auto. It's especially useful for making use of engine braking when descending steep hills...(which we have a lot of around here!
) ...or rapidly approaching roundabouts... (chuckle...) I'm just loving this car more and more as each day goes by...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
en8wall said:
Mines the same. When i first got it and used the paddles in D it would soon go back to D. Know it leaves the gear number up for longer before it goes back to D.
One trick I've already learnt when coming down the box is when you are in D, the first press of the down paddle doesn't actually change gear, it just puts it into temporary mode, changes the display and shows the current gear. It's the next press that actually does the change. So, when approaching a roundabout (say) and you want to change down quickly from the gear you are actually in (in "D"), a quick double press (bit like double-clicking a mouse on a PC!) instantly changes down and leaves it in temp "M" mode ready for the next change down... (easier to actually do than explain!
)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
that's something i actually hated when i tested the auto. you don't know what gear you're in when you're driving in D, so how do you know if you need to go down 1 or 2 to make a speedy pass?that and the automatic return to D when you flipped to "temporary M". if i decide i want to downshift, that means i then want to choose when i upshift again too.

also, what's with the maze to get from P to D? there's no quick way to turn around because you can't just go up or down, there's always that little push or pull.

no, i'm sticking to manual for the GT. i might have to take my hand of the wheel to change gears, but at least i'll know where that stick is

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ob1kxb said:
that's something i actually hated when i tested the auto. you don't know what gear you're in when you're driving in D, so how do you know if you need to go down 1 or 2 to make a speedy pass?
I must admit that I'd prefer it if I could see which gear I am in all the time but I expect that once I get really familiar with the car, I'll probably "just know" by the sound in the end...
ob1kxb said:
that and the automatic return to D when you flipped to "temporary M". if i decide i want to downshift, that means i then want to choose when i upshift again too.
Indeed but it appears that as soon as you accelerate again, it returns to auto. The only answer to that would be to shift the stick to "M" I suppose...
ob1kxb said:
also, what's with the maze to get from P to D? there's no quick way to turn around because you can't just go up or down, there's always that little push or pull.
Yes, I find that a bit tortuoussometimestoo but I expect I'll adapt to it with use...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the auto gearbox. It pretty much gets it right all the time (although I suspect there is some subliminal cooperation involved).
On occasion you get the odd undesirable upshift, for example, you ease off while the numpty you just caught up with pulls into their correct lane - when you floor it again its a less than impressive wait for it to drop down a couple.

Easily remedied by the sports button; yeah I know, I love that button

Gt86 Sport button - Sponsored by Shell V'Power - So much fun you can actually see the fuel gauge move

·
Registered
571 Posts
The funny thing is that I tested both the manual and the auto and I picked the auto. I also went to McDonalds and chose a quarter pounder instead of a big mac. Then I went home and decided to take a dump in the upstairs toilet instead of the downstairs toilet.
I guess I just love to do whatever the f**k I wanna do. Ha ha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another possible tip, don't know if it works on the gt86, but on other flappy paddles 'boxes I've had, if you hold one of the paddles for a second or two, it should return to full auto mode rather than waiting for it to set itself back to auto. I guess the sports mode holds gears longer, and can be fun in either paddle mode or in full auto sports mode. I used this function quite a lot on other cars.

It's certainly a very individual thing, and I've been very happy with auto and egear boxes for some time now (even on sports cars), this is the first mt I've had for ages. With this type of car though, I genuinely cannot see how you can exploit the car without a mt. Clutch control is a necessity for good drifting and back end out control which has got to be high on your list of requirements for buying one surely??!

I tried drifting with the XKR and the 360, both of which had egear. Very hard to do gracefully and often resulting in a jerky finish rare than smooth, although sports mode was much better to be fair. Hard to blend from drift back to traction.

I'm not saying this from a snob or purity point of view, I like modern autos, the GT86 has quite a defined purpose though (in my limited mind...) and needs the mt to realise it. Generally I think this is no longer the case and you'll hard pushed to get many mt options when looking at second hand high end sports cars because they are so dammed good. But they also focus on keeping traction, not losing it which is an essential part of the appeal of the GT86 for me, just as much as nailing a corner on the limit of traction is too. You can enjoy both in the GT86, it's what makes it such a wonderful car. You will not see many mclaren mc-12 sliding round a tight bend with the tail out!Edited by: pt86

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a18ttc said:
The funny thing is that I tested both the manual and the auto and I picked the auto. I also went to McDonalds and chose a quarter pounder instead of a big mac. Then I went home and decided to take a dump in the upstairs toilet instead of the downstairs toilet.
WAY too much information!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pt86 said:
Clutch control is a necessity for good drifting and back end out control which has got to be high on your list of requirements for buying one surely??!
True (clutch control) but not so high on the list for a knackered old fart like me who's already done all that in a previous life...
These days I just want a tidy package capable of p*ssing off the local wannabee hot Corsa occasionally and the GT86 fits that bill perfectly!

·
Registered
855 Posts
ob1kxb said:
that's something i actually hated when i tested the auto. you don't know what gear you're in when you're driving in D, so how do you know if you need to go down 1 or 2 to make a speedy pass?
Theres the optional gear indicator, which shows which gear u are in, on the MT, guessing its on the auto too. Can set it up yourself in the same menu where u select shift light

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not convinced on the double tap to go down. I set mine to 4th, waited for it to go back to D and flipped down at about 45, and it definitely went to 3rd on first hit. Same in normal and sport mode.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ianf said:
I'm not convinced on the double tap to go down. I set mine to 4th, waited for it to go back to D and flipped down at about 45, and it definitely went to 3rd on first hit. Same in normal and sport mode.
You seem to be right!
Tried the same thing again on mine this afternoon and it jumped from 4th to 2nd on a double tap... strange, must have been a quirk the other time...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MikaelSE said:
ob1kxb said:
Theres the optional gear indicator, which shows which gear u are in, on the MT, guessing its on the auto too. Can set it up yourself in the same menu where u select shift light
Unfortunately, that doesn't show up on the automatics I'm afraid... (no "g-on" or "g-off" when you cycle through the odo display...)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.