GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I need help/advice from other people who have Tein Flex A coilovers. On the rear I originally lowered 20mm from the standard height Tein set the coilovers at. I then went to get it lowered more but the guy who fitted them told me they are maxed out eventhough there is a lot of thread left. I saw him trying to adjust it more but he couldn't. The fronts however can go much lower to a point where this no arch gap.
For the rear, right now I have 1 finger gap between the tyre and the fender.

Is this the case with these coilovers or is there a way to go lower?

I've attached some pics of what it looks like.

Thank you
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
55 Posts
As you can see there is more room for adjustment there, but what you might find is that the spring is not long enough. At full droop the spring should remain seated in the spring platform, otherwise when the suspension compresses again the spring might not be seated correctly. The solution to that particular issue is longer springs or combine the existing springs with helper springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you can see there is more room for adjustment there, but what you might find is that the spring is not long enough. At full droop the spring should remain seated in the spring platform, otherwise when the suspension compresses again the spring might not be seated correctly. The solution to that particular issue is longer springs or combine the existing springs with helper springs.
Thanks for the reply Shad. Ahh ok so the spring is not long enough. I'm confused though, why would they give so much room for adjustment but not long enough springs to go with it. I will have a look at longer springs and helper springs. I saw one guy on youtube take the whole coilover off the car and screw the bottom cup clockwise up covering the thread, making it lower. This was with Flex Zs though, do you think that is worth trying?

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
55 Posts
Well to be clear I'm not saying that is the issue, only that it could be the issue. If you adjust the lower part it will change the overall length of the damper before the spring comes into play, so you'd need to adjust the spring platform as well. But I think you could achieve what you want to by doing that, although what effect this is going to have on the range of motion for the suspension... I'm not sure it would be the best idea.

Surely 1 finger between the tyre and bodywork is low enough already?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, I will speak to my guy and see what he thinks about it. So changing the length of the damper I'm guessing would affect ride quality?.

Haha it's not for me, I want to be lowww 😂

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You have plenty of room for adjustment, in fact the Flex As are known to be able to lower the car more than most.

Sorry but Shad is leading you up the garden path. First the spring perch is separate to the height adjustment, the collars under the spring will adjust its pre load only (needed for droop), the bottom collar and strut body (green section) of the coilover is hollow, it is simply used to adjust height, you do not shorten the length of the damper stroke.

The easiest way to see if by looking at the fronts, you will see how the damper body is threaded its whole length and that you adjust the height by moving/screwing that bracket up and down the length of the damper, the rear is the same you just cant see where the damper goes and its directly screwed into the strut body.

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
55 Posts
Your knowledge of these sorts of dampers is better than mine Matt. In my experience of working with fixed length dampers we control ride height using the spring preload, e.g. when setting rake or corner weighting. You can still do this with the Teins of course, but changing the damper length is going to be simpler.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I doubt that is the case Shad, I've just spent too much time researching coilovers for this chassis. :ROFLMAO:

You are correct that is the case with the likes of KWs, Bilsteins etc. Ohlins, Teins, BCs etc have adjustable bodies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts