GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys have the Tamiya GT86 kit from Ebay (Hong Kong supplier) and thought I would find out what is happeneing in terms of UK availability.

Low and behold, my local (Chester) Model Zone had 2 x new Tamiya BRZ kits in stock! (BRZ kit only differs in that bodyshell is in blue plastic and of course it has the different front bumper. In the GT86 kit the body is in white plastic.

It seems that Model Zone, like many other UK retailers seem to think that the Scooby model will sell better (probably due to lack of knowledge) so are only stocking that one.

The GT86 version is coming to Britain though and some retailers will sell both models, so it's worth doing a search.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gt_sjo said:
why not just buy from China?
Depends how soon you need it... If 'Mrs...' needed to buy you one, it can take up to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike_89 said:
I ordered one of eBay and it came in 1 week from Hong Kong, I ruined it though

Mine took 5 weeks.

Ruined ?
How so ?

Did you not do a PDI / Protection detail?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Mine took about a week to arrive. You could always ask the missus to pay for additional postage to get the EMS service for expedited delivery.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I messed the paint up, then when I was attaching the body to the rest of the car it fell to pieces and I got glue everywhere. I've ordered a ready made model to make me feel better about it

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the story so far...

You can see the exhaust's tortuous journey ...

Now I just need to polish my nuts !

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wot no green goo ?

Looks pretty impressive and looks like lots of time spent on detail. How long has it taken you to get that far?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Martin F said:
Wot no green goo ?

Looks pretty impressive and looks like lots of time spent on detail. How long has it taken you to get that far?
About 6 hours so far.

Wheel painting was tricky...

But it's a good kit.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wheel painting was a nightmare & I'm not as good as when I was a kid.

Middle aged blindness/craptitude.

Getting the bumper shutlines right was a bit fiddly; the lights sort of support them.
<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Mine took but a few days to arrive from a model shop in Japan.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Senna said:
I know some of you guys have the Tamiya GT86 kit from Ebay (Hong Kong supplier) and thought I would find out what is happeneing in terms of UK availability.

Low and behold, my local (Chester) Model Zone had 2 x new Tamiya BRZ kits in stock! (BRZ kit only differs in that bodyshell is in blue plastic and of course it has the different front bumper. In the GT86 kit the body is in white plastic.

It seems that Model Zone, like many other UK retailers seem to think that the Scooby model will sell better (probably due to lack of knowledge) so are only stocking that one.

The GT86 version is coming to Britain though and some retailers will sell both models, so it's worth doing a search.

You love the BRZ really, don't you

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
Senna said:

You love the BRZ really, don't you
Just the colour, TBH!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick Graves said:
Wheel painting was a nightmare & I'm not as good as when I was a kid.
The trick is to spray the wheels black, then simply rub off the black on the appropriate spokes back to silver with a fine cotton bud soaked in thinners.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's what I did - I'm just more ham-fisted & blind than I used to be. No-one told me that yer fingerprints wear out & one loses one's grip, either!<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Then again, it's like car spraying; unless one practices regularly, one rapidly loses the knack.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest from the front line of my 'Paragon' kit - building factory (Get it?)

I notice even Tamiya agree with my view of how bad the Primacy tyres are and instead supply MXX3 !

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.