GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was waiting for me and the post office this morning:

Got home tonight excited to start installing it. Firstly, the built quality is brilliant, it looks like it could have been OEM. Secondly, the instructions are wrong - getting that snorkel out is not even remotely as simple as they make it sound.

After about an hour of frustration I found this:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15376
Which is how I've managed to get it out. Thanks to whoever wrote it.
From there it was fairly simple with an end result that resembled this:

I didn't drill the sound generator connection open.

Took it for a drive and as I pulled off I could hear it sounded different with a deeper tone. Not too loud so it was a good sign. Floored it and from around 4000rpm there is a massively loud booming sound that resonates through the cabin. I'm not evenexaggerating, it really is THAT loud.

Drove it for a good couple of miles experimenting and by the end of the drive it didn't seem that loud anymore. Guess it could be because I was half deaf by then.

Popped the hood thinking a house might have popped off - I was secretly hoping that was the case since it would probably explain why it was so loud and "boomy". No such luck.

So maybe its a case of "if it's too loud you're too old" but I'll admit, I am deeplydisappointed, especially since it wasn't cheap. As for performance, I didn't feel any flat spots and it seemed to be fine but I can't get over that sound, it's just too much. It does sound very good after 5000rpm but getting there is painful.

Has anyone had similar experiences with the Greddy/Afe system? I doubt there is much I could do to make it less boomy but I'll see if I can live with it on a daily basis, else I'd probably have to write it off as school fees.

Edited by: sav.za

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been a couple of days with this kit now and I'm not sure if I'm just used to it or if I was annoyed and tired after installing it but I'm loving it now. It's not noisy at all at cruising speeds and only barks when you floor it at around 4k rpm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're claiming around 3HP and 7nm but I doubt there is much truth in it.http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=TM-2013B-R&filter&menu=gas&&brandID=78

·
Registered
855 Posts
Any chanche of a short vid, with some sound? Im really missing the Vtec sound boost when u floor it from my old Del Sol... :)

The sound generator hole u mention, is it a sensor in the air intake that tells the speaker how loud to sound? and has anyone tried.... ripping out that piece of fake crap, and see if the car goes electric noise from there? :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have ordered a phone mount, I'll make a video as soon as it's arrived. It reminds me a little bit of a Honda S2000 with induction - nothing, nothing, BOOOOOM!

The soundgeneratorisn't a speaker, it's a pipe that feeds sound from the intake into some sort ofdiaphragm which then feeds into the cabin. The hole in the Takeda airbox is closed by default.

Here is a pic of itdrilledopen.

The pipe at #13 is the OEM sound generator pipe connected to the new intake, except in my case it's not being fed any sound. You could remove it all together but I prefer to keep it in place, it just l looks more standard.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Aaaah, cool thx for the pic and explanation. Been seeing mentions of that sound generator, and not been able to find out if it was a speaker or what... :) Now i know, hehe. :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yea. Thinking of finding somethign like this. After the old Del Sol honda Vtec, im kindda missing the blast of sound when flooring it, the Mx5 had close to NO sound at all... way too boring. :)

And thinkign to do a proper sound install in this car as well, with a couple 10" MTX subs.

Havent had proper sound installs in the last 7-8 years, REALLY missing it... hehe

G

·
If you want a car to sound like a proper sports car, your best bet is one of the RV8 TVRs.That's if you're on a budget, if money were no object then prolly one of the early 5.7l VT Diablos for me please, awesome sound!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi sav.za - really interested in this. Does it give the exterior sound more bass, or just in the cabin?

Interesting how you get so much bass in the cabin with the sound pipe not feeding through....!!

I want to get a bassier tone from the exhaust, but like the exhaust tips (don't like litchfield / milltech tips) and not bothered about getting extra HP - did you ever get a video up for the sound of it?

Any thoughts on this affecting warranty? Toyota told me any changes to the exhuast itself will invalidate any claim to the exhaust section itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Much bassier from the outside. Was driving into the office park this morning and my work mates commented that it sounded awesome from where they were standing. I'll make a video as soon as I've received my phone windscreen mount, it's taking longer than expected.

The cabin noise is an interesting "issue" because I was driving with 2 passengers today(possible, believe it or not) and the oke sitting at the back commented that it was very loud at the back. The only explanation I can think of is that the bass is resonating from the engine through the cabin to the back and bouncing off the trim panels. I'm no sound expert but that makes sense to me. ;)

As for warranty, I'm not sure to be honest. I've had intakes before and usually fit
the OEM stuff before it goes anywhere near a dealership. Rather be safe
than sorry.

We've had a case in my country where somebody lowered his VW Golf and VW cancelled his warranty. The owner took them to court and the outcome was that lowering springs did no affect the rest of the car in any way, they were only allowed to cancel the warranty on the suspension.

Edited by: sav.za

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
You don't need a windscreen mount; we're only interested in the sound! Just stick it on the passenger seat on record....

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is kind of hard to tell much difference between those clips. Or at least anything particularly discernible. But many thanks for taking the time to share that, where did you buy yours from?

Not found anywhere that seems to ship internationally at the moment. Thanks, Peter

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.