GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all
I saw the new GT 86 advertised at the weekend and had to go and view unfortunately, I didn't have a test drive booked so missed out on the opportunity there.I have to admit I was impressed by the black GT with the Alacantra seats that I looked at. A great replacement for my MR2 that I have used as a summer car for the past eight years and was even more impressed when I found out that it had the Subaru Boxer engine as I did own a an STI a couple of years ago as well.
My only concern is that reading the reviews I can only think it is down a little bit on power with the non turbo unit?
What about you guys that have had quick cars in the past,do you find this or does the cars dynamics make up for the shortfall.
Should I take the plunge or should I wait for the BRZ STI To be released????
Spikkey

G

·
It depends entirely on what YOU want mate.I had a TVR Griffith 270BHP/310lb/ft, 1,050kgs, 4.7s 0-60 and currently a 350Z GT c. 300BHP.
Loved the test drives and still looking forward to my 86 due early next month.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you want a powerful car then this isnt for you, if you want a car thats fun to drive with Lotus like handling but comfortable at the same time then this is for you.

If you want a car thats capable of cruising down the street and going sideways then this is for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have had some fast cars. The reason I bought the GT86 was that I wanted a 2+2 as a minimum, an involving drive at lower speeds, character, and some practicality. I think I have achieved that (although I will wait until October to really find out for sure...)

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
As Clarkson pointed out in the last TOp Gear Mag. Its not slow and underpowered like some poeple think. You just have to ring the nuts off of it because that how it gets its power; High revs and less torque than a turbo engine. As it is ringing the nuts off, for me personally, makes the car more fun to drive.

Im not an expert but it doesn feel slow to me, even after driving a 911 GT2.

G

·
GT86Owner said:
Im not an expert but it doesn feel slow to me, even after driving a 911 GT2.

You're doing it wrong.

997 GT2 is very quick - undeniable.
86 is fairly pedestrian numbers wise, but can be fun in corners. Quick it is not.
I've done the fast thing - it's great and quite addictive - but I've done that now. I'm looking for something nimble and pointy with good control. I think I've found it in the 86.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've owned a 400bhp Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, a 300bhp Nissan 350Z GT, and a 330bhp Nissan 370Z GT (currently got a 350bhp 5.4litre V8 Merc.) - all of which have been sporty and quick, but heavy and thirsty.
I test drove the Toyota GT86 for best part of an hour and ordered one straight away when I returned to the dealership.
Hard to explain, but it just felt right and the gear change was great and the steering excellent. With the Previous cars it was fun going in a straight line but you always had to concentrate to enjoy corners . Hoping to enjoy the Toyota more because you can have fun more often at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Thats an impressive ammount ofhorses herit86 so you were obviouslyimpressed with the GT's Boxer unit then.

Pretty much as i thought though, a resounding thumbs up by all you petrol heads.

I guess a test drive is on the cards so hopefully will get to compare the manual against the auto in the next few weeks.

So we will take it from there, that and the trade in deal that the dealer will offer me,

So standing by to be well and trully hammered by the trade.

Watch this space.

Spikkey
Edited by: Spikkey

·
Registered
619 Posts
Get the manual, auto is for the old farts :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts