GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick heads up for all those collecting their cars soon. This appears to be an early production issue that should be fixable under warranty.

Chief Engineer Tada has already been informed of the issue and had it corrected on the production line so only early models should be affected:

"The slight issue was in the assembly process, and has been corrected and recorded.

There is no issue with the lamp assembly housing itself, and if there
are indications of this on some cars already delivered, please contact
your dealer for a simple remedy."

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My car is from last year and housing of the light has a tiny little hole in it for ventilation. I wonder if the early models had it too. Haven't noticed any condensation yet.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Moves With Clouds said:
My car is from last year and housing of the light has a tiny little hole in it for ventilation. I wonder if the early models had it too. Haven't noticed any condensation yet.
Where exactly is the hole? Any photos?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Oops, I checked and they're not holes. They're closed actually. They're in front of the rear lights , as shown below.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting, mines a 2012 model so will need to check it's not got any.

And to Moves With Clouds - that "closed hole" you're seeing may be an injection moulding "gate" from the production of the plastic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine is 14 plate and I had the rear right replaced last month so it still may happen to a few people but warranty covers it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had my right rear light replaced on Saturday. The dealer, Simpsons asked me to take some photos of the light before I took it in, as apparently Subaru won't replace lights if there is just condensation caused through changes in ambient temperature or humidity.
Suffice to say, mine was way beyond that threshold.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Is it true that the issue is just due to overtightening the bolts and therefore compressing the rubber seals too much?

I wonder if the fix is just as simple as loosening the bolts / screws (for those who not already had the problem seriously of course) ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 model - Rear tail lights seem ok in mine so far but the front passenger light has significant condensation,took it to the local dealership,they took a few pictures and rang me back a couple of days later agreeing to replace the light assembly and both the wing indicator light assemblies as well. Waiting on the necessary parts arriving to get the work done but touch wood it all seems straight forward.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Little update on this

Took the Mrs to my nearest dealer, so she could have a look up close at the model of car I've been looking at getting - so far she's only seen the numerous videos/articles I've shown her and the occasional blur as one goes past in opposing traffic.

Noticed that they had a couple of '15 plate cars out on the forecourt, both had condensation in the tail lights. When I mentioned this to the sales guy he simply responded with a comment that they 'were unsealed units'...

He also seemed unaware of any issue with any rattle whatsoever, or possible problems with leather seat bolsters (after I told him I would be looking for a cloth trim model).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts