GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Are you having Supaguard protection with your order?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Thinking about it

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I can't decide whether to have done or not - Is the Supaguard protection worth the £399 they're asking? It sounds like a good idea in principle but does it work? It's meant to be guaranteed for 3 years etc.

Thoughts and opinions very welcome.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I went for it as I am unlikely to spend much time cleaning the car (hence my choice of Silver for the colour). Anything that helps keep it clean/protected then is worth it to me (more than Leather Seats for instance). My choice of extras were the Supaguard GAP insurance and rear parking sensors rather than seats, sat nav or decals.

Alec

·
Registered
90 Posts
The supaguardleaves a clearly visible line on the bodywork where it finishes. If the whole body was covered I might consider it but then the price would be spectacular as opposed to just eye-watering.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ian i think you're confusing Supaguard with a clear protection film. I managed to get the dealer to cover the cost of having mine professionally detailed at my Valet guy, they are still giving the Supaguard product to me as well.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I think the price is too high for supaguard and just another extra the dealer can make a profit on. Much better spending money on a detailer to do a proper job. ... But just myopinionof course!

The only thing that might sway it would be the guarantee - in three years time if your seats or paintwork look shabby what would they do?

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
619 Posts
so they word their terms and conditions very carefully and very rarely will they ever do anything after 3 years. Most products will break through exterior supaguard after a few months so it's similar to getting a detail which will last 6 months.

Also im not sure if i trust a main dealer to apply a product to my brand new car. If the car isnt contaminant free then they seal any imperfections in.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
What I thought was a detailer would know what to do to properly treat and seal the car whereas the dealer will just get the same lad that washes the cars on the forecourt to apply the supaguard?

·
Registered
193 Posts
R32 is right. I have toyed at the idea. But it would be much better to get a detailer to professionaly detail the car and remove imperfections. Even go the whole hog and have orange peel etc corrected from the paintwork.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have paid for superguard and equivalent products and will not do it again. IN my experience they are overrated and expensive.I would sooner put the money towards an expensive JBL sound upgrade.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Refuse it and get them to discount the price on the car.

I have put up a group buy for a detail by my valet guy who is one of the best in the business if anyone wants to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Things are free for a reason. Supaguard costs about 40 pound they charge you 400 for it. you think you're getting a 400 pound product in theory you're getting a 40 pound product.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm getting supaguard thrown in on my deal inside and outside.

Whilst I was at a GT86 launch event I was talking to a car detailer who was looking at the GT86. His advice was, if you're getting Supaguard thrown in with your deal take it but don't pay for it as there are better treatments about. I've had the same advice from a mate who has a executive car service and he has used Supaguard on his Merc S class and Jaguar XJ.

I'm just waiting for my car now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
R32 GTR said:
Things are free for a reason. Supaguard costs about 40 pound they charge you 400 for it. you think you're getting a 400 pound product in theory you're getting a 40 pound product.

Funny you should say this. There is more money in protection and insurance products in terms of margin, than in the cars. A salesman can double his profit selling these.

·
Registered
136 Posts
considering its free i don't really care about his margin, i don't doubt they make silly money on these products, only if i'm paying for them

·
Registered
363 Posts
yups said:
considering its free i don't really care about his margin, i don't doubt they make silly money on these products, only if i'm paying for them

Exactly right. Like I said, never turn down a free option. Good on you!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Is the Supagard £399 inc VAT and is that for both inside and out? I got charged 540.83 ex VAT (which is roughly £649 inc VAT) for their Delivery Pack which is what I'm told is the Supagard protection, full tank of fuel and mats.....am I missing something here? I've already told them that the mats are included so they said that they'll knock off £80 for that (which is what they usually charge for mats), but thats still £569, minus £399 for the Supagard, that leaves £169 for a full tank of fuel? That can't be right....right?

Either way, I'm looking at finding a local professional detailer to do my car for less money and a better job.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts