GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Lux 2016
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. I’ve had my car just a couple of weeks and has been great to drive, however over last 3 days I have noticed a very annoying knocking sound from underneath the car when driving over small bumps or pot holes. It is very hard to pin point as sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from the front and now and then it sounds like the rear of the car.

I’ve emptied the boot to eliminate anything moving around and have had it up on a ramp to have a look underneath as I thought it could be the exhaust. The exhaust is definitely not knocking and is in good condition so then I moved to the suspension. After doing all the obvious checks the only thing I can see is that I have a bit of movement on the anti roll bar, think the bushes need to be changed but can’t see this being the only reason for the horrific knocking / clunking noise.

I have booked the car in to have the anti roll bar bushes replaced and will see how I get on after that, but would appreciate comments / ideas as to what else could be causing this. I haven’t had the car long so don’t really want to spending too much money out on it. My car is a 16 plate BRZ 94,000miles

Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Could be the anti roll bar drop links. They seem to be a weak point, but fairly easy and cheap to replace. If you're having the ARB bushes changed, the links need to come off too, so would be a good idea to change them for new at the same time.

·
Registered
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Lux 2016
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the anti roll bar drop links. They seem to be a weak point, but fairly easy and cheap to replace. If you're having the ARB bushes changed, the links need to come off too, so would be a good idea to change them for new at the same time.
I was thinking the same. Couldn’t see anything wrong with the drop links but worth replacing anyway. I’m hoping this sorts out the problem.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was thinking the same. Couldn’t see anything wrong with the drop links but worth replacing anyway. I’m hoping this sorts out the problem.
Cheers
Even when they look okay, they can still be knocking if water's got into the ball joint. I once replaced a set with OEM parts and they started knocking again about a year later, so they must be constructed entirely of cheese.

As for the ARB bushes, I think you might be right. When mine started wearing out they made a creaking noise, and only when the ARB twisted (ie one wheel moving in relation to the other), it was fine over most bumps. But they are cheap and at 94K miles are probably due for replacement anyway, so no harm getting them done first to eliminate them as the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. I’ve had my car just a couple of weeks and has been great to drive, however over last 3 days I have noticed a very annoying knocking sound from underneath the car when driving over small bumps or pot holes. It is very hard to pin point as sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from the front and now and then it sounds like the rear of the car.

I’ve emptied the boot to eliminate anything moving around and have had it up on a ramp to have a look underneath as I thought it could be the exhaust. The exhaust is definitely not knocking and is in good condition so then I moved to the suspension. After doing all the obvious checks the only thing I can see is that I have a bit of movement on the anti roll bar, think the bushes need to be changed but can’t see this being the only reason for the horrific knocking / clunking noise.

I have booked the car in to have the anti roll bar bushes replaced and will see how I get on after that, but would appreciate comments / ideas as to what else could be causing this. I haven’t had the car long so don’t really want to spending too much money out on it. My car is a 16 plate BRZ 94,000miles

Thanks
I had a similar problem on my Mazda 5 Family car. Every time i took it to a garage they assumed it was a loose exhaust shield. Then i took it to one garage who took it for a drive, and he felt it was something to do with the rear offside wheel. He lifted it on to the ramp and had a good look, and in the end he found out it was wrongly fitted brake pads. At some point, the brake pads were changed, but it was 2 nearside pads on one side and 2 offside pads on the other, and at some time the offside ones had become loose.

I'm not saying this is your problem, it's just that it's a possibility. At the time the sound was like loose metal rubbing on something, hence why so many people thought it was a loose exhaust shield.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts