GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm thinking of selling my impreza sti and going for a gt86, has any1 else went from a fast road car to one of these, or am I kidding myself and will be bored within 10 miles
My car is a 2.1 stroker fully forged jdm import, will reach 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds, just fancy a change have had alot of rear wheel cars in the past,
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Blue Photograph Grille

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice scooby! So although not talking about the power you have, I did go from a 220ish bhp mini cooper S to an 86. Immediately I noticed the lack of torque, I had to drop down two gears as opposed to relying on the supercharger to get my up to speed.

However, drive it right and above 4k and its not a slow car, it isn't fast but it isn't slow if that makes sense. It loves corners and handles amazingly. It responds well to a manifold/decat/tune and people who have FI seem to report decent reliability and very good numbers.

I've focused on power as you mentioned the stats in the post, but in relation to sensible stuff an 86 would be cheaper tax, more fuel efficient etc. Get out for a test drive in one though to be sure!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would highly recommend you test drive one, it's a great chassis it's comfortable but it going to feel dog slow and won't have the drama you Impreza has, but since you don't mind a tweaked car, you will probably love it with a turbo or supercharger strapped to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same dilemma, I drive a 2008 Subaru Impreza STi 20th anniversary and thinking of selling it for a BRZ/GT86.
I test drove one 8 years ago and liked it but I am not sure if I will find it too slow now, I need to drive one again.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Cloud

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
52 Posts
Only you will know for certain if it's right for you. I would say they're not an especially slow car, but they are definitely more of a 'momentum' car. Which is a polite way to say they're better at twisties than straights :)

It will feel very different though - power delivery, chassis balance, cabin, etc. I still think as an entry level sports coupe or 2+2 GT it's hard to beat.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
When I was looking to move on from my 86 I drove a few "fast" cars. The only one that stole my heart eventually was something that had an equally involving chassis, which is surprisingly hard to find. I had a supercharged 86, so I guess it had enough power (circa 290bhp) but it was the way that the car drove overall was the deal-breaker. I have since thought about coming back to a new GR86.... that would be a loss of around 300bhp to what I currently have, since it's hard to use alot of the power anywhere near as much of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts