GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anybody's weighed them before? I've decided to take the spare wheel out and replace it with a tyre repair kit. With the wheel out I wascurious so I just had to place it on a scale. 18.3kg - that's a pretty decent weight saving.

I'm a bit nervous driving without a spare tyre but at the end of the day it was just taking up too much space. I'm still on the lookout for a WRX space saver wheel & tyre.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That is a bit more than the weight published in ft86 club

Do you have a steel spare

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it's a mag wheel, same as theother4. Could be a faulty scale but I did weigh it twice so maybe it's consistently faulty? :D What is the weight published on FT86?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a look and all I could find was this:http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=231439&postcount=3
20.1lbs but that's without the tyre.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While we're on the subject of std wheels - I've noticed that the spare wheel seems to have a clear laquer coat on the shiny metal bits but I'm pretty sure the wheels on the car doesn't. Is this normal, and any reason for it?

EDIT:
Had a closer look now and I may have been mistaken about the laquer on the rest of the wheels, sorry.
Edited by: sav.za

·
Registered
855 Posts
Having worked at a tire center, with out storage being on the 1st floor, up a fleight of stairs, and having to carry all wheels up and down each season turning, i learned how bloody heavy those things can be..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did some accurate measuring this afternoon (on a known accurate set of scales) whilst changing over my stock wheels for the winter set and got quite a shock at the weight of these standard wheels and Michelin tyres that are fitted on the GT86...

18.9 Kilos!

My new winter wheels/tyres (Enzo6.50 x 16 (LK 5/100, OS 48),w/Avon Ice Touring ST205/55 R16 91H were...

17.7 Kilos!!
Over a Kilo lighter!
My car should go faster now!

Interestingly, my Hyundai set which are their standard 15" x 6J steel wheels purchased from the dealer shod withAvon Ice Touring 195/55 R15 91H and surprisingly, they were only...

17.5 Kilos!?
Lightest of the lot!!

Oh, and lastly, the Subaru Spacesaver I got off of ebay for a spare? 12.2 Kilos Considering that I am 119 Kilos driving, don't think I'll be worrying about carrying a spacesaver any time soon!

Colin

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, it looks like my scale is all over the place because I also got a Subaru space saver wheel & tyre yesterday and it weighs in at 13.2kg on my scale.

EDIT:
here is thew one I've got:

Not sure from what Subaru it's from but they had two styles, this isapparentlythe one that would clear thecallipers.
Edited by: sav.za

·
Registered
787 Posts
sav.za said:
Actually, it looks like my scale is all over the place because I also got a Subaru space saver wheel & tyre yesterday and it weighs in at 13.2kg on my scale.

EDIT:
here is thew one I've got:

Not sure from what Subaru it's from but they had two styles, this isapparentlythe one that would clear thecallipers.
Oh! Mine is a different style to that... ('scuse the small pic...)

It was billed as an Impreza Legacy? The scales I am using are digital and have been checked using calibrated weights (5 & 10Kg) so we know them to be pretty good... Strange that with more metal on mine (no holes like yours) it is actually lighter!

Colin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.