GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that occured to me today whilst trudging around in the old Uncle Fester... Seeing as the new GT86 is the first car I've ever had with a Start/Stop Engine button rather than an ignition key. At some point it's very likely there'll be a small child in the car and they do have a habit of fiddling with buttons etc.

So, what happens if you 'accidentally' press the Start/Stop button while the car is being driven..? Does it cut the engine or is there some sort of failsafe that means it'll only stop if the car is stationary..? (Not suggesting anyone tries this).

Just wondering if I'm going to have to get the Hannibal Lecter restraints out if I have one of the kids as a passenger.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I assume that all cars with push starts work in this manor so no, there is a fail safe that while the car is in motion, pressing the button does not turn the engine off. There might be a emergency method which is to either hold it down for 5-10 seconds or pressed 3-5 times rapidly. I can't be exact as I've never tried it but this is what I've read from various people who own cars with push starts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not sure about whilst car is in motion but I think you have to have your foot on clutch (manual) and brake (auto) to start it although i'm not 100%.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
en8wall said:
Not sure about whilst car is in motion but I think you have to have your foot on clutch (manual) and brake (auto) to start it although i'm not 100%.

Correct.

Given where the stop/start button is, you'd think you were already in trouble if a small child got to the point where they could operate it anyway whilst you were driving!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
en8wall said:

Again, assuming all cars with push starts being the same, en8wall should be correct as this is what I do in my Clio, for manuals, it's either clutch or brake but auto will only be brake. If you don't press down on the brake or clutch, it will turn the electrics on i.e. as if you turning the key of your ignition into it's first or second position before the final position to actually start the engine.

Edited by: Keethos

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Keethos said:
en8wall said:

Again, assuming all cars with push starts being the same, en8wall should be correct as this is what I do in my Clio, for manuals, it's either clutch or brake but auto will only be brake. If you don't press down on the brake or clutch, it will turn the electrics on i.e. as if you turning the key of your ignition into it's first or second position before the final position to actually start the engine.

No need to assume, I can confirm this is the case as I was demonstrated the starting procedure when I did my test drive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies on this, I'd thought there must be some kind of procedure to prevent accidental stopping of the engine while in motion - Makes sense to use the clutch like that. On my test drive, I didn't start the car... the Rep took the car out and we swapped over once we'd got to a quieter road and I did the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts