GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being technical, nor bright neither, why shouldn't we have staggered wheels?
Maybe just an inch larger on t'rear?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
It will upset the handling balance and likely make it an understeering monster.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you bought it to drive it; keep em square, keep em skinny'ish
If you bought it to be seen in, then I'd go large and staggered

·
Registered
116 Posts
Feels pretty good as it is to me. Probably will be swapping front and rear tyres when they are half worn too. Can't do that if they are different sizes.

Liam

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
CPN said:
Well, it was good enough for the last series of MR2 Roadsters they built... #justsayin'
(and that wasn't a particularly powerful car...)

You don't think the fact the engine is in the back of the MR2 has a teeny bit to do with that?

·
Registered
626 Posts
There are people who have swapped them over to a staggered setup, it's quite popular in the US already :)

The advantage is you can increase your tyre sizes, whether this suits your driving style or car setup is down to personal opinion :)

As they start to get more power this will likely be a more popular change to make, as forced induction becomes more common, I would think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ask simply because this is the first car I've owned for a while with the same size all round. My BMWs, TVR and 350Z all had larger, wider rears - it tends to give a slightly more aggressive stance IMO. On a car not conceived with this set-up, I'm not sure how it may affect ride and handling though.I'm currently very happy with the set-up as it was shipped, but it's something I may consider revising a year or three down the road.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's very common on the 200SX and Skylines which had matching tyres all round from the factory to stagger them, usually when power is upped, and there aren't any significant disadvantages to it on those :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Are you sure you didn't buy the wrong car, maybe you wanted something more like this, as this has plenty of stagger

Alec
Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It's a complicated subject with no blanket answers really.

You could run a wider tyre, of the same diameter, but if you stretched your tyres for example you may end up with a smaller contact patch than with the OEM setup. This may actually end up with the same or slightly less grip than the OEM configuration.

This could be worse when you go up in diameter, and thus down in profile, reducing compliance and further reducing the contact patch.

The balance of the car from the factory is heavily dependant on the wheels/tyre package being used. As soon as you change anything you will affect the handling. If you give the car more grip (through tyres) then you will increase the amount of roll, which you should correct with uprated anti-roll bars (although some people will no doubt suggest lowered/stiffer suspension - this is the wrong way to do it).

Coincidentally I almost got rid of the OEM staggered setup on my old BMW to try and help reduce the colossal amount of understeer it had - but realised it just wasn't worth the hassle on that old barge.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I thought reducing the excessive rear toe-in could improve the Z4 a bit?

With the 86, I'd have thought one would be better off trying some stickier rubber as a first step. If you find the oversteer still irksome, a BRZ spring/roll bar set would be next.

A staggered set-up might require more power to work effectively. It's a very complex equation, so unless you work for Subaru or Lotus in the suspension dept., caution is required.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
CPN said:
Well, it was good enough for the last series of MR2 Roadsters they built... #justsayin'
(and that wasn't a particularly powerful car...)

Yes, but that is because it's designed like that. The MK2 had a staggered set up too. The MK1 AW11 didn't. I have had hte misfortune to drive a MK1 SC SE around Rockingham on MK3 wheels with staggered tyres. It was utter, utter crap. Just understeered everywhere.

If the car you drive doesn't have a staggered setup there is a reason for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.