GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Had rear pads and discs fitted to my 86 last week and ever since then they are constantly squealing. During braking, cornering, in the wet or dry it sounds horrendous.

Took the car back to the dealer and they told me that this is totally normal and there is nothing they can do!!

Anyone else had this issue, my car never made this noise before so how can this be normal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s intermittent now, I had a blast in it last night. But normally it’s at low speeds, no braking, but it’s like someone scraping their nails on a black board. It’s also very loud, so embarrassing when people stop and stare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer checked and definitely not seized. After a blast when they were hot the squealing was insanely loud. Now they only tend to squeal at low speeds, so moving off from lights or in queuing traffic. I will take the word of the Toyota dealer and give them a few hundred miles and if they still do it they are going back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The dealer checked and definitely not seized. After a blast when they were hot the squealing was insanely loud. Now they only tend to squeal at low speeds, so moving off from lights or in queuing traffic. I will take the word of the Toyota dealer and give them a few hundred miles and if they still do it they are going back.
I would do the same, ie take it back if it doesn't improve after some hard use. Plenty of people complain about noisy brakes on these, but surely most cases aren't that bad, and most have no issue at all. Do I remember that Toyota had changed the pad compound some time back because of noise complaints?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine are the same (but only when you're actually breaking)

I'm not sure if the stealer put on some cheap pads, so I'm going to see if they get any better.

Anyone here got any recommendation for pads, OEM+ style?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine are the same (but only when you're actually breaking)

I'm not sure if the stealer put on some cheap pads, so I'm going to see if they get any better.

Anyone here got any recommendation for pads, OEM+ style?
In my limited experience, I would say OEM pads are the best chance to stop squealing and perfectly good for normal use. Not @Whizo experience though....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Whenever this comes up I always think of a scene in Le Man's '66 (Ford Vs. Ferrari).
Very, very near the beginning, Ken Miles insists there is nothing wrong with a customers car. Any issues with it not running right are down to it, [because it's a sports car] needing to be given the beans more often 😂

However... In this situation, it sounds like some isn't quite right, based on the type of noise and conditions you've described.
I'd be tempted to say it's the pad shims are catching or binding? It's hard to say without seeing the car in person but you've done right by flagging it with the dealer. Should there be any issues in the future, you've got a record to back you up :)

@FRAJ
I agree, the OEM pads are excellent for street use 👍
If you need more pad I'd be tempted to say, slow down and book a track day :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the information and advice, really appreciate it. I am keeping an eye on the mileage and as soon as I hit around the 500 mile mark they are going back. The dealer said they should bed in by then.
At low speeds and moving off from a stand still they can be heard from quite a way away. There is no way in hell that this is ‘normal’ for any car. But I will go through the motions with the dealer, give it 500 miles and then it’s going back in. Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did you get your noise sorted? I had similar noise for mine for a while, the dealer could find nothing wrong, but i took it to a local guy and he put new pads on and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi weedan, I have been super busy with work recently so not had the chance to get the car booked in with the dealer again. The only positive is that I have been driving it a lot so I’ve done close to 2500 miles now and the squealing is just as bad if not worse. I am going to get the car booked in next week or the week after and will not accept any excuses this time. They asked me to give the brakes about 1000 miles to bed in and they have done double that and it’s not cured anything. So it’s definitely going back. Replacing the pads would be the first logical step for the dealer but will keep you all updated with what happens.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Is it possible to attach a sound file to a post? I want to attach the sound of the squealing so you can hear just how bad it really is.
There is no support for sound files no, but a file sharing site like dropbox could do just as well I suppose.
Also, it helps to think the brakes are going "Wheee!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts